New Motherboard Swap!?

MrSesame
Hello, I recently bought a new motherboard and cpu to replace the existing one I have and I was wondering if I was to replace it would I need to install a new version of windows 10 or would my old version of windows (which is on a ssd) just recognize the new motherboard?

Depends, if you're staying within the same brand such as Intel > Intel or AMD > AMD it should pick it up pretty smoothly. If you're going between vendors while it can pick it up and install the drivers you are more likely to have random issues and a fresh install is recommended.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yes Im planning on going from an intel core i5-2400 to an i5-10400, and for my motherboard im going to use the MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Gaming Motherboard. So what your saying is that all i need to do is replace my old motherboard and cpu, plug it all in and it should just work fine without doing anything?

2 minutes ago, MrSesame said:

Yes Im planning on going from an intel core i5-2400 to an i5-10400, and for my motherboard im going to use the MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Gaming Motherboard. So what your saying is that all i need to do is replace my old motherboard and cpu, plug it all in and it should just work fine without doing anything?

backups

I'm willing to swim against the current.

6 minutes ago, leclod said:

backups

thanks I'll remember to do that 

22 hours ago, Heliian said:

I'd recommend a fresh install. 

would I need to paid for a new key or could I make a copy of the one I already have?

1 hour ago, MrSesame said:

would I need to paid for a new key or could I make a copy of the one I already have?

You should be able to use your previous key but you'll have to look at Microsoft support for the procedure, you might have to contact them.  You should have it registered to you already.