I can't extend my partition volume... error "there is not enough space available on the disk to complete this operation"

Shumee99
Go to solution Solved by ObsidianAura,
4 minutes ago, Shumee99 said:

I just tried to do that it gives me the same error when I try to delete it:

Also no I don't care about data on that drive but when I select the middle one the only option it gives me is help

I think installing and using TestDisk is what I'd try next, use it to delete the partition table

Here are a bunch of photos of what happens, I've looked it up on google there were multiple solutions NONE of which worked... Here are some of them
-refresh and rescan disks

-format / delete partition

-tried using 3rd party apps but I'm not paying for that I'd rather just buy a new HDD for the same price

-used DiskPart to try to GPT the disk I guess didn't work BUT in DiskPart it says from 931gb only 638gb are free..

I'm at that point of just throwing the HDD in my yard

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_6.png

Screenshot_7.png

I don't think windows will let you enlarge your partition unless the unallocated space is adjacent to the partition.

You'll likely need a third party tool, or to delete the partition in between. 

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

2 minutes ago, ObsidianAura said:

I don't think windows will let you enlarge your partition unless the unallocated space is adjacent to the partition.

You'll likely need a third party tool, or to delete the partition in between. 

I can't delete the partition in the middle it won't let me

3 minutes ago, Shumee99 said:

I can't delete the partition in the middle it won't let me

Have you tried running command prompt in admin mode and then running diskpart?

If you dont care about losing data on that drive you should be able to select each partition in there and delete them, but be careful!

(sorry yes i've seen you have run diskpart but have you blown up everything on the drive?)

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

1 minute ago, ObsidianAura said:

Have you tried running command prompt in admin mode and then running diskpart? 

If you dont care about losing data on that drive you should be able to select each partition in there and delete them, but be careful!

Virtual Disk Service error:
The operation is not supported by the object.

Also no I don't care about data on that drive but when I select the middle one the only option it gives me is help

4 minutes ago, Shumee99 said:

I think installing and using TestDisk is what I'd try next, use it to delete the partition table

Run command prompt as admin, start diskpart, select the desired disk, run clean all (since you don't care about the data on that disk).
Be very careful when doing this, triple check you've selected the correct disk before running clean (Cleaning a storage device removes all partitions from the drive and renders the data inaccessible)
Here is a step by step: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022179/memory-and-storage.html

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

12 minutes ago, ObsidianAura said:

Thank you so much! Using TestDisk to fully delete the partition table worked.

2 minutes ago, Shumee99 said:

Thank you so much! Using TestDisk to fully delete the partition table worked.

Yay! Glad I could help 🙂