10 fans, yet still can't keep AIO liquid down

Pnova7

Hi all,

For the past months I've been struggling to keep my PC chilled and cool, and the results haven't been impressive. For the record, I have a 5950x cooled by a NZXT Kraken z73 in a Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL case. My CPU temperatures at first were jumping around the 70s to 80C, obviously creating a ton of heat in the case, while my AIO liquid sat at 45C. This also resulted in my platter harddrives getting very toasted, reaching temps of 56C. My GPU (1080ti) was also reaching around the 70s too. Since then, I've managed to lower the temp of my CPU how bringing its core voltage down to 1.1250V, which during heavy workload at max saw 62C, so that was a win. Meanwhile, I undervolted my GPU so now the highest it goes is now 66C. However, my liquid temps didn't change, at all. I have 9 fans in my Lian Li case, originally 3 bottom as intake, while the 3 sides and top 3 AIO served as exhaust. However, I've recently changed my side fans to intake as well which did slightly help but not by much. I then went ahead and changed my AIO fans, as I was using Corsair QL for those and was suggested by some that those are terrible radiator fans. I since swapped them with Corsair ML Pros, and again, I saw a slight difference, but nothing crazy. The biggest improvement I saw was perhaps removing the top dust filter, which I know I shouldn't do as that's not what Lian Li intended, but it did certainly help rid of my PC of more hot air so I'm glad for that. Finally, I decided to add a 10th fan into the case, serving as another exhaust to help out the top 3.

After all that, my liquid temps during gaming only reach now 42C instead of the previous 45C. That said, I'm getting told by others that is still too high of a liquid temperature to have. So now I'm at a loss, as I'm not sure what else I could do. My fans run of around 1085 RPM or so, which already is more than what those who told me about this have. So I'm here reaching out for some help and guidance, as I'm out of ideas. Maybe I have some sort of "setting" enabled that causes AIO temperatures to rise high and everyone but me has this off... I don't know.

For context, the only overclocking on the CPU is RAM (to 3600) and the core voltage set to 1.1250V. I'm also on the latest BIOS, Windows and version of NZXT CAM.

The PC setup:

CPU-G.png

My specs are as follows:

Windows 10 Pro

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor

NVIDIA GeForce EVGA 1080ti SC2

NZXT Kraken Z73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION EATX AM4 Motherboard

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

EVGA G5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

2 Platter Seagate Hard drives in Hotswap bay

7 Corsair Q120

3 Corsair ML120 Pro

First thing that comes to mind would be to check if the pump is dead.

12 minutes ago, Ryzen-9 said:

First thing that comes to mind would be to check if the pump is dead.

It's only a few months old, bought in February of this year (can they die that fast?), but who knows, I suppose I can try and bring it into my local computer shop for them to examine if the pump is dead or not. I should note, the pump RPM is 2419 or so and actively changes.

pump speed too low?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1: its a 16 core cpu. ofc its hot

2: is pbo on? PBO will push the cpu up to 70C almost always. Its designed to boost as high as possible without throtteling.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

pump speed too low?

Pump speed is set to 'performance' mode, 2419 RPM or so.

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

1: its a 16 core cpu. ofc its hot

2: is pbo on? PBO will push the cpu up to 70C almost always. Its designed to boost as high as possible without throtteling.

1. I know, but even so people are still claiming that there is no way my AIO liquid temp should be that high.

2. Nope, I have PBO off.

1 minute ago, Pnova7 said:

1. I know, but even so people are still claiming that there is no way my AIO liquid temp should be that high.

2. Nope, I have PBO off.

What are fan speeds like on the rad?

what are the clocks with a sustained all core laod? (like a looped cinebench r20?)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

43 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

What are fan speeds like on the rad?

what are the clocks with a sustained all core laod? (like a looped cinebench r20?)

1. Like around 1085 RPM or so like I wrote in the OP.

2. No idea, how would I check that? Edit: Oh, I see Cinebench! Yeah, I'll download that right now and give it a try for you.

Right, so I just did it and here are the results (image below).

Don't think this Cinebench thing stressed my PC much, as the multi core test my liquid went up to 37 at max, while single core test was 34 max.

Cinebench.png

Cooling with a liquid solution has very little to do with how many fans are used.

The primordial factor is the amount of water that is displaced.

Even without fans a radiator will do a good job of dissipating the heat.

A fully filled loop is therefore necessary.

The speed of the pump again isn't saying that much either if it has a defect of some kind.

Restriction in the loop can easily result in performance being just a fraction of it's optimum.

In this case the waterblock (with or without pump) is usually the problem.

On 4/14/2021 at 9:49 PM, Pnova7 said:

Pump speed is set to 'performance' mode, 2419 RPM or so.

2. Nope, I have PBO off.

Is there dust in the radiator? That can clog it up. Maybe check.

On 4/15/2021 at 12:24 PM, Pnova7 said:

Hi all,

For the past months I've been struggling to keep my PC chilled and cool, and the results haven't been impressive. For the record, I have a 5950x cooled by a NZXT Kraken z73 in a Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL case. My CPU temperatures at first were jumping around the 70s to 80C, obviously creating a ton of heat in the case, while my AIO liquid sat at 45C. This also resulted in my platter harddrives getting very toasted, reaching temps of 56C. My GPU (1080ti) was also reaching around the 70s too. Since then, I've managed to lower the temp of my CPU how bringing its core voltage down to 1.1250V, which during heavy workload at max saw 62C, so that was a win. Meanwhile, I undervolted my GPU so now the highest it goes is now 66C. However, my liquid temps didn't change, at all. I have 9 fans in my Lian Li case, originally 3 bottom as intake, while the 3 sides and top 3 AIO served as exhaust. However, I've recently changed my side fans to intake as well which did slightly help but not by much. I then went ahead and changed my AIO fans, as I was using Corsair QL for those and was suggested by some that those are terrible radiator fans. I since swapped them with Corsair ML Pros, and again, I saw a slight difference, but nothing crazy. The biggest improvement I saw was perhaps removing the top dust filter, which I know I shouldn't do as that's not what Lian Li intended, but it did certainly help rid of my PC of more hot air so I'm glad for that. Finally, I decided to add a 10th fan into the case, serving as another exhaust to help out the top 3.

After all that, my liquid temps during gaming only reach now 42C instead of the previous 45C. That said, I'm getting told by others that is still too high of a liquid temperature to have. So now I'm at a loss, as I'm not sure what else I could do. My fans run of around 1085 RPM or so, which already is more than what those who told me about this have. So I'm here reaching out for some help and guidance, as I'm out of ideas. Maybe I have some sort of "setting" enabled that causes AIO temperatures to rise high and everyone but me has this off... I don't know.

For context, the only overclocking on the CPU is RAM (to 3600) and the core voltage set to 1.1250V. I'm also on the latest BIOS, Windows and version of NZXT CAM.

The PC setup:

CPU-G.png

My specs are as follows:

Windows 10 Pro

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor

NVIDIA GeForce EVGA 1080ti SC2

NZXT Kraken Z73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION EATX AM4 Motherboard

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

EVGA G5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

2 Platter Seagate Hard drives in Hotswap bay

7 Corsair Q120

3 Corsair ML120 Pro

You cannot compare liquid temp to air temp. Water cooling has a 2nd heat transfer than air cooling. Each heat transfer require a temperature gap. So only higher gap can have the heat transfer rate at a efficient level.

Water cooling's benefit is not at lower temperature but keeping it more stable.

Lenovo Thinkstation P410

xeon e5 2666v3

4x8g ddr4 2133 RECC

nvidia RTX A4000 16g

micron BX500 480g

intel P4501 4TB