/home/pi is empty?

Hello I have set up a pi zero W with raspbian for a project. When I cloned a git that I need for this project I noticed that /home/pi is empty. Shouldnt there be like a Video and Download folder at least? I tried "ls -la" too of course and it gives me the following output:

total 24
drwxr-xr-x 3 pi   pi   4096 Mar  4 23:05 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar  4 22:47 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi   pi    220 Mar  4 22:47 .bash_logout
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi   pi   3523 Mar  4 22:47 .bashrc
drwx------ 3 pi   pi   4096 Mar  4 23:05 .gnupg
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi   pi    807 Mar  4 22:47 .profile

Any help?

Did you install the version of Raspbian without the desktop enviroment?

I believe the default folders are created by desktop applications so if you've never started a desktop they won't be there.

I wouldn't worry too much about it; those folders aren't essential anyway. Just clone your Git repo in /home/pi, or if it bothers you that much you can do mkdir downloads

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

Did you install the version of Raspbian without the desktop enviroment?

I believe the default folders are created by desktop applications so if you've never started a desktop they won't be there.

I wouldn't worry too much about it; those folders aren't essential anyway. Just clone your Git repo in /home/pi, or if it bothers you that much you can do mkdir downloads

The thing is when I am in /home/pi and do a git clone that git clone also dosnt apear there

Just now, ianspy1 said:

The thing is when I am in /home/pi and do a git clone that git clone also dosnt apear there

That's rather strange. Is Git throwing an error at all? (Beware that it might not be clear, so read the output of the command carefully)

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

That's rather strange. Is Git throwing an error at all? (Beware that it might not be clear, so read the output of the command carefully)

as far as my knowledge goes I see nothing odd any chance you have a confirmed working git clone that I could try? I even tried reflashing the sd card again

8 minutes ago, ianspy1 said:

as far as my knowledge goes I see nothing odd any chance you have a confirmed working git clone that I could try? I even tried reflashing the sd card again

I wrote a random little open-source script a while ago, which I'm able to clone using Git.

git clone https://gitlab.com/jamdown/jdcore.git

worked for me on Manjaro Linux just now.

Output should be this (and nothing else) - the 3.32MiB/s might be different though:

Cloning into 'jdcore'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 40, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (40/40), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (22/22), done.
remote: Total 40 (delta 14), reused 34 (delta 12), pack-reused 0
Receiving objects: 100% (40/40), 23.27 KiB | 3.32 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (14/14), done.

(You won't be able to actually run the code from the project as you won't have the dependencies for it, but you can check Git is actually working)

pythonmegapixel

12 minutes ago, ianspy1 said:

When I cloned a git that I need for this project I noticed that /home/pi is empty. Shouldnt there be like a Video and Download folder at least?

The Video , Download, etc...folders are part of the desktop environment so they won't be there if you just installed the lite version of Raspberry Pi OS.

As for git not cloning there, git should clone to whatever your current working directory (cwd) is. 

Are you using the default 'pi' user? make sure in terminal you go to ~ (which is home of the current user)

e.g

cd ~/

git clone <gitlink.git>

ls -la

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

If you do

mkdir \etc\skel\documents
mkdir \etc\skel\downloads
mkdir \etc\skel\music
mkdir \etc\skel\pictures
mkdir \etc\skel\videos

then do

adduser bob -p
*enter the new users password*

it should create the user "bob" and populate "\home\bob\" with the 5 folders.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

<-- Moved to Linux, macOS and Everything Not-Windows -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card