light linux distro to replace windows

Go to solution Solved by TorC,

FYI:  7 Best Lightweight Linux Distros for Old PCs [2021 Updated]

Suggestion:  Get a good 32GB USB flash drive, put Ventoy on it then copy the ISO for each distro listed above to it and try them all.  Then give us a review down the road on which worked the best for you!  (just a suggestion)  You will get to know Linux far better.

so  as you see in the title i'm searching for light linux distros, the criteria is windows-like, can run on 2gb DDR3 RAM. i'll use this distros on laptop specificly lenovo ideapad 300-15sk

In the past I've used lubuntu, most similar to ubuntu, probably the closest linux distro to windows.

linus sex tips

lubuntu as previously mentioned is a good choice other distro i suggest are : manjaro xfce and xubuntu

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Lubuntu. 

But with only 2gb ram, you're not going to have a pleasant web browsing experience because those browsers still hog the same amount of system resources no matter what OS you use. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

3 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

Lubuntu. 

But with only 2gb ram, you're not going to have a pleasant web browsing experience because those browsers still hog the same amount of system resources no matter what OS you use. 

Unless he uses lighter browser instead of Chrome, such as Gnome Web.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

35 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

I didn't know about that one. I usually use Midori when browsing via my old laptop. I'll be sure to try Gnome Web out as well. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

@eBrocoli --  your expectations with present hardware configuration are unrealitic.

Max out the RAM to 8GB and try ferenos or Modicia, if you want a GNU/Linux distro that is 'windows-like.'

Othewise you are stuck with something like lubuntu minimal or antiX.

Pepper mint os

Sudo make me a sandwich 

okay so my choice is either using lubuntu or upgrading my hardware for better distros ?, well i guess imma go with lubuntu, thx guys. now how do i install it ? any tutorial ?

I'd say Linux Mint. That computer has a 6th Gen CPU, right?

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

3 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

I'd say Linux Mint. That computer has a 6th Gen CPU, right?

yep it is, well i guess i'll do a survey first

Your first decision was the correct one, @eBrocoli.  Fanboys will lead you in the direction they want you to go.  Many will lead you astray because that's the way the world is now.

Go to this link and download the alternate version.-- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/18.04/release/lubuntu-18.04-alternate-amd64.iso

Get yourself a good USB stick (not Sandisk, because they contain proprietary BS)

Get Ventoy for installing on the USB flash drive so you can copy the Lubuntu ISO to it and install or just run from the USB stick to try it out (at least 16GB flash drive)

Here is a YouTube video on how to install Ventoy and Linux ISOs.

Download the ISOs and try for yourself.  Don't believe me or anyone else as to what is best.  Determine for yourself.  That is what LInux is all about -- Freedom of choice.

Edited by TorC
typo

Suggestion:  Get a good 32GB USB flash drive, put Ventoy on it then copy the ISO for each distro listed above to it and try them all.  Then give us a review down the road on which worked the best for you!  (just a suggestion)  You will get to know Linux far better.

2 hours ago, TorC said:

thx mate!

On 4/14/2021 at 11:31 AM, Fatih19 said:

It's using a normal Apple Webkit, so, it won't be any better than, let's say, Safari.