GTX and RTX cards in same System?

KingAmnesiaa

Is it Possible to have an Rtx card and GTX card in the same system to take off the load of the main card to put it on the secondary?

I Currently have a RTX 2080 and have 3 Monitors, and saw on tiktok ( yea lol ) that you can hookup an old gtx card, i have a gtx 1060 6gb, and hook it up to take off the load from the 2nd and 3rd monitors.

Does that really work and is it safe to do?

Your 2D computer screens are not a struggle for your current gpu. Running several 2D screens actually hasn't been a struggle in a long time so no , this wouldn't effect your setup in any way

I use my old card for PhysX (the driver auto configured this setup), so I assume what you are opting for is very well possible.

image.png.c99e2ac4a2dc8fa8438a271e15588b20.png

Just now, HITULIKEATRAIN said:

I use my old card for PhysX (the driver auto configured this setup), so I assume what you are opting for is very well possible.

Last time having a dedicated Physx card was beneficial was back in 2009. Absolutely no point of having one now, just waste of energy.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Last time having a dedicated Physx card was beneficial was back in 2009. Absolutely no point of having one now, just waste of energy.

But it is POSSIBLE 😉

The energy discussion is another one.

Just now, HITULIKEATRAIN said:

But it is POSSIBLE 😉

The energy discussion is another one.

I can have 8 graphics cards and gain nothing from 7 and use one. Still nothing but waste of energy, as it's not beneficial or provides any performance uplift.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

I can have 8 graphics cards and gain nothing from 7 and use one. Still nothing but waste of energy, as it's not beneficial or provides any performance uplift.

u can mine with them 

10 minutes ago, emosun said:

Your 2D computer screens are not a struggle for your current gpu. Running several 2D screens actually hasn't been a struggle in a long time so no , this wouldn't effect your setup in any way

Yea, still 3 monitors eat a lot from the gpu, and so the old one will be used and not just lay around taking dust.

9 minutes ago, HITULIKEATRAIN said:

That's Sicko mode, imma try that right now

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

I didn't say so, did I?

Just stated, that it's possible.

Everyone is free to do what they like and I rather have the card built into my PC "doing something" instead of having it lying around. You can do, whatever you think is best to do with your stuff.

2 minutes ago, HITULIKEATRAIN said:

I didn't say so, did I?

Just stated, that it's possible.

Everyone is free to do what they like and I rather have the card built into my PC "doing something" instead of having it lying around. You can do, whatever you think is best to do with your stuff.

That's like owning two cars, using only one and letting other turned on and idle all the time. Anyways enjoy wasting your money. 

1 minute ago, KingAmnesiaa said:

Yea, still 3 monitors eat a lot from the gpu

no.... it doesn't. Running several 2d monitors has little to no effect on your gpu's load these days. It wasn't difficult 20 years ago and it still isn't today. The amount of power your gpu uses to run the  other 2d screens is effectively 0.

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

That's like owning two cars, using only one and letting other turned on and idle all the time. Anyways enjoy wasting your money. 

Nope, that's not the same. It would be the same if I owned two electrical cars, powered by 100% green energy and leaving those running at all times (having fun doing it and not disturbing anyone with it).

My GPUs are not polluting the environment or anything.

And what even is "wasting money"? I could say you "waste money" by having a gaming PC instead of a probably much more efficient gaming console.

To me it's not a "waste of money", but the fun of trying stuff out, playing around and having a hobby. So as long as it's fun and doesn't do harm to anyone, why not do it? And yeah, I am having great fun with my setup, m'am/sir!

Let's stay on topic rather than trying to come up with more and more obscure analogies for using multiple GPUs.

1 hour ago, KingAmnesiaa said:

I Currently have a RTX 2080 and have 3 Monitors, and saw on tiktok ( yea lol ) that you can hookup an old gtx card, i have a gtx 1060 6gb, and hook it up to take off the load from the 2nd and 3rd monitors.

There won't be any benefit to doing so. Monitors running simple or 2D applications (ie desktop) won't have any noticeable impact on your graphics card.

You would more likely lose performance as the additional graphics card would add extra heat in to the system if placed in the slot below the first GPU would restrict airflow, raising the temperature of the cards and since the boost clocks are tied to temperature it will lower the boost clocks and performance overall.

The only benefit you would get from having multiple different GPUs is when utilising both GPUs in programs that can assign work to each GPU independently, such as cryptocurrency mining or compute orientated programs such as Folding@Home or BOINC.

If you're not using the second card you would be better off using it in another system or selling it. GPU prices are high at the moment due to stock shortages, now is a very good time to sell.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Let's stay on topic rather than trying to come up with more and more obscure analogies for using multiple GPUs.

There won't be any benefit to doing so. Monitors running simple or 2D applications (ie desktop) won't have any noticeable impact on your graphics card.

You would more likely lose performance as the additional graphics card would add extra heat in to the system if placed in the slot below the first GPU would restrict airflow, raising the temperature of the cards and since the boost clocks are tied to temperature it will lower the boost clocks and performance overall.

The only benefit you would get from having multiple different GPUs is when utilising both GPUs in programs that can assign work to each GPU independently, such as cryptocurrency mining or compute orientated programs such as Folding@Home or BOINC.

If you're not using the second card you would be better off using it in another system or selling it. GPU prices are high at the moment due to stock shortages, now is a very good time to sell.

1st, I have 0 airflow problems, my pc is always under 40 degrees but in heavy load maybe 50.

2nd, it would bring nothing to sell my old 1060 as no one would buy it as it cinda outdated so i keep it as deco ( it was my first gpu i've ever bought )

3rd, true could put in old system and mine but for an old card it dosent bring nothing

4rth, thanks for the info you just gave all the info i needed! Thank you very much!