aluminum keycaps

spwath

Anyone know where I can get these, full set, backlight c compatable

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

They're all over ebay but I don't think any of them support being backlit.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Huh, since when were there aluminum keycaps? New?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Following this topic. 

Alumin(i)um keycaps would go so well with my K95 :D
But yeah. Backlight compatible would be the only way to go

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

not sure what adam is talking about.

there are individual aluminum novelty keycaps sold regularly and in stock.

but for a fullset?  the only really popular one was 'scarface' and that has been a collector's item for a year or few already.  alu sets are pretty sought after on geekhack and i'm pretty sure someone would have posted about a public source.

backlit?  never heard of one and don't think it will ever happen. 

ZINC alphasets exists (~37 keys), but I don't think mods for them do or they're not very common at least.

so, if you want an aluminum set, you should try to FIND someone with the scarface set and then be prepared to fork over 100s of dollars.

EDIT:

truthfully, I don't even remember scarface having mods.  but don't quote me on that.

So it looks like there are not. I just completely made this up, hoping it was true. Would be great for k70

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

No such thing as "backlit compatible" aluminum keycaps. You'd have to engrave a hole in each legend, and that wouldn't feel too good. Usually novelty keycaps that are backlit compatible cut out 2 holes for the eyes -- that's about it.

Aluminum engraved for plastic letters inserts? 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Aluminum engraved for plastic letters inserts? 

Melting temperature of aluminum would melt the plastic "double shot" legends.

Double shot keys are made with the legends/letters first, then filled with another colour plastic to surround it, forming the keycap.

Melting temperature of aluminum would melt the plastic "double shot" stems & legends.

They could add them after. Would be very pricy tho.

They could add them after. Would be very pricy tho.

No, that wouldn't be possible, as the aluminum stem would be blocking the legends.

Legends look like this before the two-shot moulding process:

D0SG2.jpg

And after the second shot:

aXrTY.jpg

Video process of making DS keycaps:

Even if you were to manufacture a machine from scratch to reverse the process, you'd run into problems with the two materials having different shrinking points. The plastic legends wouldn't be able to stay in place and it'll either crack and/or pop right out during hot/cold temperatures.

No such thing as "backlit compatible" aluminum keycaps. You'd have to engrave a hole in each legend, and that wouldn't feel too good. Usually novelty keycaps that are backlit compatible cut out 2 holes for the eyes -- that's about it.

i was thinking along the lines of how apple does their speaker cutouts on their macbook pros. just laser a bunch of tiny holes next to each other.

i was thinking along the lines of how apple does their speaker cutouts on their macbook pros. just laser a bunch of tiny holes next to each other.

Those holes are actually huge, but the small sleep indicator light on a MacBook Pro is impossible to see when the LED is off. So I guess a similar technique could be used for keycaps as well.