Can I mix these RAM's?

Hi, so there are a lot of topics explaining this and I know that Linus made a video about it, but I still couldn't figure it out myself.

So I currently have a Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB DDR4 2133MHz CL14 stick and I started using After Effects, but with 8 gigs of ram it's unusable.

I would like to buy a Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 ram stick, because currently I don't have enough money to buy the 16 gig one.

Can I use those together, even tough the speed will be slower?

edit: Also I looked at my motherboard's (ASRock H170M Pro4) website and it only supports 2133MHz ram.

In theory yes, you can.

But nobody can tell you this with an absolute certainty unless they actually tried it on the exact same system as you have.

But the chance that it will work is high since you're adding much faster RAM that can downclock itself to match your existing slower one.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it is possible! For DDR4, 2133MHz is slow, so you may have to downclock those 3200MHz sticks down for a little bit. Or your system will usually balance faster RAM sticks to match to the same slower sticks speed, if that makes sense. Have you considered to buy 2 of those 8GB 3200MHz sticks totaling 16 gigs of faster RAM?

14 minutes ago, VekeJe said:

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it is possible! For DDR4, 2133MHz is slow, so you may have to downclock those 3200MHz sticks down for a little bit. Or your system will usually balance faster RAM sticks to match to the same slower sticks speed, if that makes sense. Have you considered to buy 2 of those 8GB 3200MHz sticks totaling 16 gigs of faster RAM?

Yes, I did, but I don't have that much money and I need the upgrade asap. Later I will sell my old ram and buy a matching one instead.

1 hour ago, zsobikaa said:

Yes, I did, but I don't have that much money and I need the upgrade asap. Later I will sell my old ram and buy a matching one instead.

AIght, sounds good! Im sure you will be just fine with lower RAM speeds. Good luck!