Is Lenovo Yoga 6 13ARE05 a good buy?

Hi,

I was looking for a 2 in 1 laptop-tablet system, and this system, Lenovo Yoga 6 13ARE05, caught my eyes. Spotting a Ryzen 7 4700U with impressive 8 cores, an option to upgrade onboard RAM to 16GB at fairly reasonable price, as well as a cheap stylus and the system fits my budget perfectly, and this system probably checked everything on my checklist. The only downside, in Malaysia specifically, Lenovo estimated this thing takes more than 10 weeks to ship!

Anyway, I'm just curious, are there other system from other manufacturer with almost similar specs out there? Or should I just wait patiently for this system? Or should I wait for Ryzen 5000 series 2 in 1 laptop system? I'm not in a hurry to get this laptop, actually, so I can wait (but planning to get one in June or July).

Oh, my normal use case will be drawing (GIMP, MS Paint), watching Youtube, playing light games (Sandloft games made from the 90's such as Cake Mania, Tradewinds, and also some PopCap games and PlayFirst games such as Diner Dash), and mostly Office works. I know Ryzen 4700U is overkill for my use case and I would like to opt for 4500U, but they don't have that option.

Regards,

Benjamin Tan

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Kind of missed the most important part, the price. Can't really decide if something's a good buy without it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Kind of missed the most important part, the price. Can't really decide if something's a good buy without it.

I see. The cost is around USD 1200 (USD 1171 to be exact. Convert from Malaysian Ringgit to USD. This price includes tax, but not sure if it include shipping)

Anyway, for the specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 4700U

16GB DDR4 RAM chip soldered, no expansion available.

256GB M2 NVME 2242 SSD (upgradeable)

Integrated Graphic from AMD Ryzen

13.3" Full HD 10-point touch screen

Wi-Fi 6 AX and Bluetooth 5

Lenovo non-battery Stylus

720p web cam (no Windows Hello Face Recognition)

Windows 10 Pro

3 Years Premier support (On-site)

No anti-virus

Microsoft Office trial

60W 4-cell LiPo rechargeable battery

45W USB-C adapter

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Hi Chiyawa,

I had a Lenovo Yoga 3 14 that I bought back in 2015. Specs are in my signature.

I chose this one because there were essentially no other models that ticked all the boxes for me - an ultraportable laptop with a mid-end graphics card(940M), 8GB of RAM and an SSD - and the convertible functionality was an added bonus. I spent 80k INR (then the equivalent of 1280 USD) on it, which if you consider the degree to which electronics are overpriced in India, is actually a great bargain!

However, my years of ownership have been riddled with issues. Within 6 months of purchase, the back panel started to come off everytime I opened the laptop due to a design flaw with the hinge. A power-circuit related IC got shorted 2 times within the next 2 years, costing me the equivalent of 200 USD(15k INR, which is quite a lot!) worth in service costs. And more recently, the trackpad has been completely non-functional for over 2 years despite getting the module replaced multiple times. Finally, last week, the power circuit issue popped up again, and this time the local service people weren't able to fix it, stating that the short circuit killed the processor/motherboard.

I kept the laptop for as long as I did because it was powerful enough to play my games on(AAA games from 2015 or earlier, although even NFS Heat and Far Cry 5 were playable at 720p), portable enough for me to carry around to my friends' places/hangout spots, and still had decent battery life even after 5 years of use. But the course of it's life was anything but problem-free. I've spent more than a quarter of the price of the laptop in service costs, and I've always had to be very careful with it/nurse it around problems to get it to keep working. I know a friend who had a Yoga 2 that was broken at the hinge as well. These are merely my anecdotal experiences, however, and it stands to reason that by this iteration Lenovo could have fixed the design issues that the earlier models had.

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

30 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

I see. The cost is around USD 1200 (USD 1171 to be exact. Convert from Malaysian Ringgit to USD. This price includes tax, but not sure if it include shipping)

Anyway, for the specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 4700U

16GB DDR4 RAM chip soldered, no expansion available.

256GB M2 NVME 2242 SSD (upgradeable)

Integrated Graphic from AMD Ryzen

13.3" Full HD 10-point touch screen

Wi-Fi 6 AX and Bluetooth 5

Lenovo non-battery Stylus

720p web cam (no Windows Hello Face Recognition)

Windows 10 Pro

3 Years Premier support (On-site)

No anti-virus

Microsoft Office trial

60W 4-cell LiPo rechargeable battery

45W USB-C adapter

Quoting US pricing doesn't really help either, since it's not relevant to you. The only way to find out if it's a decent deal is to wait for someone who knows Malaysian markets and their pricing, and go from there.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, rkv_2401 said:

Hi Chiyawa,

I had a Lenovo Yoga 3 14 that I bought back in 2015. Specs are in my signature.

I chose this one because there were essentially no other models that ticked all the boxes for me - an ultraportable laptop with a mid-end graphics card(940M), 8GB of RAM and an SSD - and the convertible functionality was an added bonus. I spent 80k INR (then the equivalent of 1280 USD) on it, which if you consider the degree to which electronics are overpriced in India, is actually a great bargain!

However, my years of ownership have been riddled with issues. Within 6 months of purchase, the back panel started to come off everytime I opened the laptop due to a design flaw with the hinge. A power-circuit related IC got shorted 2 times within the next 2 years, costing me the equivalent of 200 USD(15k INR, which is quite a lot!) worth in service costs. And more recently, the trackpad has been completely non-functional for over 2 years despite getting the module replaced multiple times. Finally, last week, the power circuit issue popped up again, and this time the local service people weren't able to fix it, stating that the short circuit killed the processor/motherboard.

I kept the laptop for as long as I did because it was powerful enough to play my games on(AAA games from 2015 or earlier, although even NFS Heat and Far Cry 5 were playable at 720p), portable enough for me to carry around to my friends' places/hangout spots, and still had decent battery life even after 5 years of use. But the course of it's life was anything but problem-free. I've spent more than a quarter of the price of the laptop in service costs, and I've always had to be very careful with it/nurse it around problems to get it to keep working. I know a friend who had a Yoga 2 that was broken at the hinge as well. These are merely my anecdotal experiences, however, and it stands to reason that by this iteration Lenovo could have fixed the design issues that the earlier models had.

I see. Thanks for your feedback. Yeah, I suppose cheap laptops do tend to have issues, but not just cheap laptop, even the more expensive Dell laptops do have some issues with the hinge, notably Latitude E5520, and some of the more recent Latitude 3570. It doesn't help that their newer laptop battery got bloated after 1 and a half year of usage, which may destroy the casing.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Quoting US pricing doesn't really help either, since it's not relevant to you. The only way to find out if it's a decent deal is to wait for someone who knows Malaysian markets and their pricing, and go from there.

Okay. No worries. In Malaysia, Intel is still dominant in laptop sectors. Dell doesn't even carry 2 in 1 laptop with AMD processor, and HP does carry some, but their price are a bit expensive. So, there's not a lot I can compare for now.

• 1 month later...

Hi Benjamin , I'm David from Malaysia also ,I found yoga 6 at lenovo Malaysia for RM3500 (R7 4700/16/512) , around Rm4000 also can consider HP envy x360 , you can simply find one for RM4000 (R5 4500 /16/512) ... Design and build quality wise I think HP wins easily , lenovo tends to have hinge problem on all of its laptop , anyways worth checking out the HP if you still didn't buy .

23 hours ago, David1229 said:

for RM3500 (R7 4700/16/512)

I think that one will be R5 4650G, 8GB. According to official Lenovo website at least.

HP Envy x360 is good, but I found it lacking USB 3.0 type A ports and headphone jack, which is a turn off for me.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. I have already purchased Lenovo Yoga 6. It's quite good for the price.