Dedicated mining rig and wallet

I have used nicehash off and on the past few years and that's what I am using now.  I just wanted to see if there is a more profitable system to use on a machine that is dedicated completely to mining.  I have my old computer set up for remote desktop and that's all it does, I will be setting up another machine for only mining as well.  Can someone give me a basic idea of what my options would be so that I can research them further?  Both machines are nvidia based.

Second question, can someone explain what the benefit of a hardware wallet is and also what happens to your currency if that wallet stops functioning?

I'm certain these two answers are readily available but I prefer to learn by asking instead of searching

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

25 minutes ago, Psittac said:

Second question, can someone explain what the benefit of a hardware wallet is...

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Hardware_wallet

tl;dr: It's more secure than a software wallet

25 minutes ago, Psittac said:

...and also what happens to your currency if that wallet stops functioning?

No access to private keys > no access to wallet > no access to money

As always, if something is valuable, you should have backups or in this case an alternative method of access

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Assuming with "stops working"  you mean it physically broke, hardware wallets (or any wallet really) will have a recovery phrase with which you can recover your your wallet in case it breaks or something.

The security benefit of hardware wallets is that your private keys are stored on that physical device. An unplugged USB stick in a drawer has no internet access whatsoever and is thus less prone to being hacked.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 4/11/2021 at 11:02 AM, Psittac said:

I will be setting up another machine for only mining as well.  Can someone give me a basic idea of what my options would be so that I can research them further? 

For your mining options on a machine that is only mining I would use the NiceHash OS to get the best performance with little maintenance. I use the nicehash ecosystem because I can access all the different types of machines from one dashboard. For example I have my dedicated mining rig running NicehashOS  and 2 windows machines running Nicehash quickminer that I turn off of mining during the daytime and back on before I go to bed. All of this I can do from my phone or any desktop and it shows all your systems in one place for great monitoring. I have seen lots of hype around HiveOS as well but my experience has been that it takes a lot more to setup and maintain profitability.

On 4/11/2021 at 11:02 AM, Psittac said:

Second question, can someone explain what the benefit of a hardware wallet is and also what happens to your currency if that wallet stops functioning?

On 4/12/2021 at 9:10 AM, tikker said:

Assuming with "stops working"  you mean it physically broke, hardware wallets (or any wallet really) will have a recovery phrase with which you can recover your your wallet in case it breaks or something.

This is pretty much spot on. I use a Ledger Nano X partnered with my iPhone and it works amazing. They give you the back up phrase on setup of the device that should never see a digital form, it should be written down physically and stored somewhere extremely safe because it can fully recover your wallets ownership.

Only purchase from Ledger directly unless their website sends you to somewhere local to buy it. Also the exchange that is built into the app has high fees for purchasing crypto compared to other options I have in Canada so my suggestion is to explore your options.

I can't recommend the Ledger highly enough though. I have never run into a coin you can't store with it and I'd say my interest is mainstream to partially matured coins. I have never have it error out or glitch when going to use it. Any other questions on hardware wallets let me know!

Join TEAM LTT in the fight against COVID-19 with F@H & BOINC ~ My EOC Folding Stats ~ My F@H Stats ~ My BOINC Stats

Daily Driver: i7-8086/32GB RAM/500GB SSD/4TB HDD/RTX2070/PG279Q

Unraid Server: 2700X/32GB RAM/750GB RAW SSD/22TB RAW HDD/GTX 1050