Is 32gb of RAM overkill?

I was wondering if 32gb of RAM is overkill or money waste. I am playing Fh4, f1 2020. 

I got a:

i5 10600k

Z490a Prime

A 3060ti 

and 16gb of Corsair vengence pro

Thanks

Are you currently running out of memory with your current configuration? If not then I wouldn't pay for more RAM. If you're running out of memory right now (I don't know about F1, but FH4 should be perfectly fine on 16GB) then get more. 

1 minute ago, Difficult Problems said:

@EinfachMax23 I would not say that it's overkill. So i would probably go for it. The reason im saying that is because it will last longer.

Just a heads up - you don't have to tag someone in your reply. The author of the post automatically follows it, so they'll get your response. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Anything 16gig+ right now is for either multi use (for example gaming and streaming and running multiple programmes, browsing, videos etc) or for professional content creation (modelling, video editing etc) or professional use. 

If you feel you need 32 after using 16 ... go buy more ... it's like the easiest thing to install ... 

Most people will likely move to the next generation of DDR those who are worried about future proofing, so having more than you need is overkill yes.

<-- Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

12 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

If you are only gaming at 1080p it is probably overkill. For 4K 16GB is the minimum and 32GB gives you some breathing room.

I think you are talking about Vram.

No, I won't build a new mid-range or premium build with only 16 these days. I do 4x8 configuration.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, dilpickle said:

No I'm not.

Then you are wrong. 4K is just a resolution change using graphics processing potential and Vram.

23 minutes ago, Zulu-Cheese-Alpha-IV said:

Then you are wrong. 4K is just a resolution change using graphics processing potential and Vram.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Have you ever gamed at 4K?

Just now, dilpickle said:

You have no idea what you are talking about. Have you ever gamed at 4K?

Yes I have, would you like to post evidence, otherwise I know what I am talking about.

That is not due to resolution, that is due to settings used such as low vs ultra, before you present information, make sure to fact check before hand.

Clearly I think it is you here who has no clue of what they are talking about.

Game engines when loaded with all their asset quality use more system and video memory, but a resolution change comes strictly from the GPU alone.

Multi-GPU setups tend to use more system memory than single card too and this is due to driver overhead.

There's also the single rank vs dual rank issue - testing shows that actual dual rank dimms or 4x single rank dimms improve results

This is usually accomplished with 32gb by default since it's dual rank 2x16 or single rank 4x8

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Zulu-Cheese-Alpha-IV said:

That is not due to resolution, that is due to settings used such as low vs ultra, before you present information, make sure to fact check before hand.

Clearly I think it is you here who has no clue of what they are talking about.

Game engines when loaded with all their asset quality use more system and video memory, but a resolution change comes strictly from the GPU alone.

Multi-GPU setups tend to use more system memory than single card too and this is due to driver overhead.

You might want to learn to read. Please tell me the difference between these two setups

ltt.jpg.0a0fa89e61b85d71e9451374d031a067.jpg

I've been 4K gaming since 2014 so I know what I'm talking about. 4K textures require more memory to load. This is basic stuff so do your research.

You might want to learn to read. Please tell me the difference between these two setups

ltt.jpg.0a0fa89e61b85d71e9451374d031a067.jpg

I've been 4K gaming since 2014 so I know what I'm talking about. 4K textures require more memory to load. This is basic stuff so do your research.

Yes into Vram, not system Ram lol.

No analysis I see other than hardware requirements which are almost never accurate...

4 minutes ago, Zulu-Cheese-Alpha-IV said:

Yes into Vram, not system Ram lol.

Dude give it up. I had 8GB RAM when I started 4K gaming in 2014 and guess what it got me. Out of Memory Errors. Upgraded to 16GB and voila everything runs smoothly.

So please once again tell me what 4K games you are playing with 8GB RAM. And also why don't you let CDPR know their specs are wrong.

Your argument is completely nonsensical. If system RAM didn't affect gaming then why don't we all just stick with 2GB.

If you can afford 32GB, get 32GB. On your whole system it's a 5% higher price at most.

Dude give it up. I had 8GB RAM when I started 4K gaming in 2014 and guess what it got me. Out of Memory Errors. Upgraded to 16GB and voila everything runs smoothly.

So please once again tell me what 4K games you are playing with 8GB RAM. And also why don't you let CDPR know their specs are wrong.

Like them being wrong on absolutely everything else around CBP2077? LOL

Give what up? system requirements are not an analysis to back your claims of knowing more, and games required more system ram as a move from 32-bit to 64-bit back then, at the turn of the new console generation.

Your knowledge is not backed by real information.

1 minute ago, Zulu-Cheese-Alpha-IV said:

Like them being wrong on absolutely everything else around CBP2077? LOL

Give what up? system requirements are not an analysis to back your claims of knowing more, and games required more system ram as a move from 32-bit to 64-bit back then, at the turn of the new console generation.

Your knowledge is not backed by real information.

Oh right my personal experience is not real information but your made up facts are. 🤣

So I'll ask for the 3rd time. Show me your 4K games with 8GB RAM

Oh right my personal experience is not real information but your made up facts are. 🤣

That is correct, you have no real conducted tests, so inaccurate information.

Subjective opinions are just that, opinion.

Just now, Zulu-Cheese-Alpha-IV said:

That is correct, you have no real conducted tests, so inaccurate information.

Subjective opinions are just that, opinion.

If you're not going to answer this then just sit down and shut up: WHAT 4K GAMES DO YOU PLAY WITH 8GB RAM