Games crashing after upgrading CPU and MOBO

Lugo1k

So my friend bought a new cpu and motherboard specifically Ryzen 7 5800x and an TUF X570 PRO WIFI. He has a EVGA RTX 2080 and we've made sure his bios is up to date and all his drivers are up to date. Also completely reinstalled windows and every single program he had. We switched pcie slots of where the graphics card sits but everytime we play ANY game even a small game such as Bloons or RISK his game crashes and we are stumped at this point and don't know what else to do.

Most common cause of crash after boot is memory problems.  PSU problems have become more frequent though.  The issue with PSUs is modern chips tend towards extremely high transient current spikes that som older PSUs cannot handle, so even if the  average wattage is adequate a transient spike can still trip over voltage protection.  With memory it’s not a new issue.  Memory can sometimes just go bad.  When this happens it’s usually just one stick.  There are a couple different ways to test for this.  Memtest86 takes a significant amount of time to run but it’s still a lot less than the older method of putting in a single stick of memory in slot one and seeing if the problem occurs.  It can take a long while for a problem to occur though so the second method can take up to weeks.  It’s only advantage is that it is more sensitive.  If no memory problems are detected with memtest86, sometimes they can be found with the older method.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Crash to the desktop, or blue screen?

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

5 minutes ago, DSD27 said:

They’re both crashes. A PSU problem will generally shut down a machine entirely.  Crash to desktop would be unusual for either.  Crash to desktop is still possible for a memory problem though a blue screen would be more likely.  Crash to desktop would imply a different problem.  Something being more common doesn’t mean it’s what you have.  Is there an overclock on either the cpu or the gpu?  That can also be an issue.  Resetting CMOS will get rid of an overclock generally.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

<-- Moved to Troubleshooting -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Most common cause of crash after boot is memory problems.  PSU problems have become more frequent though.  The issue with PSUs is modern chips tend towards extremely high transient current spikes that som older PSUs cannot handle, so even if the  average wattage is adequate a transient spike can still trip over voltage protection.  With memory it’s not a new issue.  Memory can sometimes just go bad.  When this happens it’s usually just one stick.  There are a couple different ways to test for this.  Memtest86 takes a significant amount of time to run but it’s still a lot less than the older method of putting in a single stick of memory in slot one and seeing if the problem occurs.  It can take a long while for a problem to occur though so the second method can take up to weeks.  It’s only advantage is that it is more sensitive.  If no memory problems are detected with memtest86, sometimes they can be found with the older method.

We thought it could be the memory so we bought new sticks and the same thing still happens. As for the PSU it is possible for that to be the problem we have not tested anything about the PSU but its an EVGA 750W 80+ Gold so its pretty good. 

14 hours ago, DSD27 said:

So whenever it crashes its only the game that crashes. It makes the whole screen turn black and then comes back on. But the second monitor doesn't go black.

3 minutes ago, Lugo1k said:

So whenever it crashes its only the game that crashes. It makes the whole screen turn black and then comes back on. But the second monitor doesn't go black.

Does it require a reboot?  This sort of defines the difference between crash to desktop and something that takes the whole machine down. 

As for the memory thing I recently ran across a post who found that their problem was messed up memory profiles.  Apparently they had different sticks of memory set to different XMP profiles.  I don’t even know why that is even possible. A memory problem doesn’t necessarily have to be a hardware issue, it merely often is.

54 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Does it require a reboot?  This sort of defines the difference between crash to desktop and something that takes the whole machine down. 

As for the memory thing I recently ran across a post who found that their problem was messed up memory profiles.  Apparently they had different sticks of memory set to different XMP profiles.  I don’t even know why that is even possible. A memory problem doesn’t necessarily have to be a hardware issue, it merely often is.

no it just crashes to the desktop but before it gets to the desktop the screen goes black. Well we tried turning on XMP and turning it off on the new memory sticks but it still crashes every game but the crashing is very inconsistent sometimes I can crash after 5 minutes or it'll happen after a couple of hours.

14 minutes ago, Lugo1k said:

no it just crashes to the desktop but before it gets to the desktop the screen goes black. Well we tried turning on XMP and turning it off on the new memory sticks but it still crashes every game but the crashing is very inconsistent sometimes I can crash after 5 minutes or it'll happen after a couple of hours.

That kind of variance is classic with a bunged up memory address.  Everything works fine till that address is accessed then down it goes.  Other things could cause it. Computers don’t do things randomly even if they seem like they do. For example If it is consistent with a particular part heating up but doesn’t happen or happens later if the machine is warm that can be an intermittent connection from a cracked solder joint which is a massive pain to find.  As things heat up metal expands and the connection closes.  That doesn’t sound like your issue though because things generally work better when warm.  Only crashing to desktop implies a software rather than hardware issue to me. 

23 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That kind of variance is classic with a bunged up memory address.  Everything works fine till that address is accessed then down it goes.  Other things could cause it. Computers don’t do things randomly even if they seem like they do. For example If it is consistent with a particular part heating up but doesn’t happen or happens later if the machine is warm that can be an intermittent connection from a cracked solder joint which is a massive pain to find.  As things heat up metal expands and the connection closes.  That doesn’t sound like your issue though because things generally work better when warm.  Only crashing to desktop implies a software rather than hardware issue to me. 

Im not sure what type of software issue it would be because we reinstalled everything even windows.

One would assume cmos got cleared then.