EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra abnormal temp

My EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra is idling at 60c with the fans at 50%. When gaming, the fans ramp up to jet engine volume, and the card runs at 91c+ the entire time, throttling occasionally.

Case: NZXT H510 4/4 fans.

Airflow I don't think is the issue because the issue does not change with even both side panels off. Maybe hot room? idk. It might be using it's own hot air as well, but I doubt it. I don't have any intakes where the GPU exhausts. Air runs from front to back. I tried cranking the case fans, didn't help. Anyone know?

That case, will not work.

See: 

Let the GPU idle for 10min without side panel on, then stress it again.
Do not open side panel while stressing your GPU, it is a lot harder to pull down temps than to start low to begin with.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

4 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

That case, will not work.

See: 

Let the GPU idle for 10min without side panel on, then stress it again.
Do not open side panel while stressing your GPU, it is a lot harder to pull down temps than to start low to begin with.

I'll test it and update here.

But I don't think that really would help, because when I was gaming with the card, in-between rounds, the card would drop back down to the 60c idle, panels on or not, and would always climb back to the 91c when the round started again.

the case is the problem. The 510 may look good, but is 110% a form over function case.

Id get a new case. One could be the meshify c, it's a great case, and looks pretty good.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Paraxial said:

My EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra is idling at 60c with the fans at 50%. When gaming, the fans ramp up to jet engine volume, and the card runs at 91c+ the entire time, throttling occasionally.

Case: NZXT H510 4/4 fans.

Airflow I don't think is the issue because the issue does not change with even both side panels off. Maybe hot room? idk. It might be using it's own hot air as well, but I doubt it. I don't have any intakes where the GPU exhausts. Air runs from front to back. I tried cranking the case fans, didn't help. Anyone know?

I have the same case with a 6800 XT. It works best as negative pressure with two fans, one at the back and at top rear. It isn’t the best case for airflow but should not be that hot, especially at idle. My 6800 XT runs much cooler, so much so that the fans don’t even spin at idle. If your card it hitting 60 oC with 50% fans (even with the side panels off) then I’d say there is a problem with your card. Do you have it running totals stock with no OC at all? Have you tried doing a fresh install of drivers to see if that helps? 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

1 minute ago, Bobbysixjp said:

I have the same case with a 6800 XT. It works best as negative pressure with two fans, one at the back and at top rear. It isn’t the best case for airflow but should not be that hot, especially at idle. 

I have two intakes and two exhaust, are you saying that removing the intakes would work better? That doesn't make much sense to me.

3 minutes ago, Paraxial said:

I have two intakes and two exhaust, are you saying that removing the intakes would work better? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Yes, the case is designed to work as negative pressure. But like I mentioned earlier if your card is running that hot at idle then I’d say the card is the problem, not the case. How hot is your room?

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |

1 minute ago, Bobbysixjp said:

Yes, the case is designed to work as negative pressure. But like I mentioned earlier if your card is running that hot at idle then I’d say the card is the problem, not the case. 

I had it non OC

One thing I did see, however, is people saying that Afterburner temperatures don't work that well. Does this problem extend to things like the Overwatch temperature checker?

3 minutes ago, Paraxial said:

I had it non OC

One thing I did see, however, is people saying that Afterburner temperatures don't work that well. Does this problem extend to things like the Overwatch temperature checker?

I did a quick search about your card and there seems to be lots of people having the same problem. 
https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3121151&p=1

Mhz |

10 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

I did a quick search about your card and there seems to be lots of people having the same problem. 
https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3121151&p=1

I saw that as well, I guess it might be "normal" for this card without it sounding like a jet engine. I will try removing the intake fans to see what happens. I'll also try retesting, seeing if I'm just an idiot.  If that doesn't work, I'll just go and get a new case. I'm hesitant to try and get a replacement, that would take a while.

I did some further searching and found that Afterburner wasn't actually using my fan curve, fixed that now. Idles are a lot lower, will still try above, to get that extra little bit of performance.

Idles at 50c, still above what it should.

Btw, What's a good stress test to use?

2 hours ago, Paraxial said:

Btw, What's a good stress test to use?

https://geeks3d.com/furmark/

Mhz |

Just now, Bobbysixjp said:

Good to know. I will test again, but what I have is using 3DMark demo.

Normal: GPU Temp peak: 91c, Idle 60c

Intakes disabled: GPU Temp peak: 92c, Idle 55c

Front panel off, intakes: GPU Temp peak: 74c, Idle 44c

You were right, the case is bad, but disabling the intakes did next to nothing, but the CPU was 5c higher.

You said the Meshify C would be a good option, and that was my original case choice, until I ran out of money. Do you know of any cheaper alternatives?

Mhz |

4 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

yeah, that's manageable. Thanks man!

Ill just run without a side panel until the case comes. Really wish I still had the boxing for the H510 now. RIP

How much better would you say Meshify C would be compared to the LianLi case you sent?

Not sure but there are plenty of reviews for both those cases online. I’m surprised that you are finding the H510 so bad though.

Mhz |