Synology NAS. Trying to Backup Folder A Desktop to Folder B NAS.

Ok, so I've got the DS418. What I'm trying to do is make it so that a folder on my computer gets backed up to the NAS in a specific place. So ideally, D:/Movies would back up to the /Plex/Library/Movies on the DS418. Unfortunately, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Using the Synology Drive Client, I can make it so D:/Movies backs up to /home/drive/movies but not the plex one. This would be fine, but with I tried to change the Plex directory for that, I couldn't even access /home/. I tried to ask the Synology support to like point me in the right direction, but the person wasn't overly helpful and seemed to think I was of course doing something wrong. If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know. Getting a bit desperate to try and get it to work.

Thanks in advance.

Id just use something like robocopy on your desktop, mount the nas folder as a network drive, and have it run the task on a schedule.   

You could look into FreeFileSync. It can be executed from batch and can be set to run on a schedule similar to robocopy but with a GUI.

Why not just change a setting so that the like /home/ folder show up in plex? like... I don't know how to do that, but that seems like a far better solution than trying to download a third party program and hoping to integrate it into the stuff already...

28 minutes ago, The_Murdoch said:

Why not just change a setting so that the like /home/ folder show up in plex? like... I don't know how to do that, but that seems like a far better solution than trying to download a third party program and hoping to integrate it into the stuff already...

Seems a lot easier to use a sync program like that. I have also had issues with the cloud sync programs, so just using the native windows file copy makes much more sense.

Hi, have you tried to share that plex folder inside the synology in your network? so you can you copy paste the files to your synology as a shared folder in your network?

Also i guess that if you use "cloudstation server" and when you install the client on your PC you can set a folder to use as sync folder and when you configure the client you can specify the destination folder on your NAS

Regards,

18 hours ago, Xavier Suarez said:

Hi, have you tried to share that plex folder inside the synology in your network? so you can you copy paste the files to your synology as a shared folder in your network?

I've tried that, but I don't know if it doesn't work, or if I'm doing it wrong, but either way it didn't show up.

Well let me give a try giving you some steps:

1.- I'm going to assume that you already have the shared folder in the synology where Plex accesses your files and that you have installed "cloud station server"

00001.thumb.jpg.cce0c7a6ed12d6e918ab26ef1f8ee965.jpg

2.- Click on edit after selecting the plex shared folder, then in permissions give full access to 1 user already created or a new one, give read and write permission. you will use this user for the synchronization client on your PC

00002.thumb.jpg.0b54253c55b389d3d2c7ebaa2af6d1bf.jpg

3.- On "cloud station server" give access to the plex forlder.and i dont use the file version on this scenario.

00003.thumb.jpg.1ba16f12967a7f180cbb9b4e3fdf0c0a.jpg

4.- Download the "cloud station backup client" and install it on your PC and use the local ip of the NAS or the DDNS of your preference 

00004.jpg

image.thumb.png.d4c3b592fb55113e078c603c016cfc96.png

5.- After you clic next, select your pc video source folder i suggest to use a folder in a partition like C:\ for example so you dont see the whoole pc path in your plex folder.

select the destination folder that should be your NAS Plex movie folder path, check your backup rules and specify if you need write and read permission.

image.png.3d082d87a784d0b6911dba78e9218a7e.png

6.- Start uploading from your PC to your NAS!!

image.thumb.png.b2eb67de007f972f7cf0fd400f1ae555.png

Regards,

XS