Is it worth it to upgrade the CPU?

Hi,

I wanted to ask if it is worth upgrading my CPU from i5-9400F to anything else, I have an RTX 2060 and I don't consistantly get 144fps in some games, is upgrading the cpu even going to do much? I would gladly upgrade my GPU if it wasn't for the current state of the market...

Thanks.

1 minute ago, notPotatoe said:

Hi,

I wanted to ask if it is worth upgrading my CPU from i5-9400F to anything else, I have an RTX 2060 and I don't consistantly get 144fps in some games, is upgrading the cpu even going to do much? I would gladly upgrade my GPU if it wasn't for the current state of the market...

Thanks.

It depends on which games you play. If you were to upgrade and you live near a micro center you can get a 9900k for 250, but if you play at higher resolutions or higher detail settings or more demanding games it might not help.

5 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

It depends on which games you play. If you were to upgrade and you live near a micro center you can get a 9900k for 250, but if you play at higher resolutions or higher detail settings or more demanding games it might not help.

I agree, also, maybe OP has a Z series motherboard to get more performance out of the chip if they choose to do so. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

check cpu usage during play and report back

Realistically it won't show up as 100% because it won't be multi core bottleneck, so make sure to right click the cpu chart so you see each individual core for single core bottleneck.

5 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

I mainly play fps games like CoD or Apex at 1080p but CoD struggles and Apex has common dips in performance. I unfortunately don't live in the US, so no micro center for me

2 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

I agree, also, maybe OP has a Z series motherboard to get more performance out of the chip if they choose to do so. 

Unfortunetly I've got a B360I motherboard, it was a prebuild so didn't have much of a say in it.

2 minutes ago, notPotatoe said:

I mainly play fps games like CoD or Apex at 1080p but CoD struggles and Apex has common dips in performance. I unfortunately don't live in the US, so no micro center for me

A CPU upgrade likely could help you, try looking at pcpartpicker for the price of 9900k or 9900 or 9900kf. If they are reasonably priced, you should get one. Your board does not support overclocking anyway so a 9900 or 9900f could be good if its cheaper than the 9900k.

3 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

A CPU upgrade likely could help you, try looking at pcpartpicker for the price of 9900k or 9900 or 9900kf. If they are reasonably priced, you should get one. Your board does not support overclocking anyway so a 9900 or 9900f could be good if its cheaper than the 9900k.

A price of a new 9900 is $361 and 9900K is $392 where I am.

Just now, notPotatoe said:

you need to find out how loaded your CPU is during gaming.  If you're pretty steadily over 85-90%?  And upgrade would probably make a visible difference.

If you're hitting GPU caps?  then it won't make much difference. 

2 minutes ago, notPotatoe said:

might be a bit steep but not that bad compared a 3700x, so I might buy the 9900. But you should wait for other people's opinions before you go out and just buy.

4 minutes ago, tkitch said:

you need to find out how loaded your CPU is during gaming.  If you're pretty steadily over 85-90%?  And upgrade would probably make a visible difference.

If you're hitting GPU caps?  then it won't make much difference. 

Yea it is basically at 90-100% when playing Apex

CPU Usage.png

then yes, upping your CPU power will make a visible difference for you!

If you can get a decent CPU upgrade price, go for it

Just now, tkitch said:

then yes, upping your CPU power will make a visible difference for you!

If you can get a decent CPU upgrade price, go for it

Thanks for the tips! Unless something changes, will probably upgrade in the near future.

18 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

might be a bit steep but not that bad compared a 3700x, so I might buy the 9900. But you should wait for other people's opinions before you go out and just buy.

Also, a quick question, are the temps on the 9900 enough to handle by the (I think) stock intel cooler I have?

Just now, notPotatoe said:

Also, a quick question, are the temps on the 9900 enough to handle by the (I think) stock intel cooler I have?

Yes, it is not a k series cpu, so it has the same TDP

1 minute ago, curiousmind34 said:

Yes, it is not a k series cpu, so it has the same TDP

Sure, thanks.

Ok, after a bit of thinking and looking around, wouldn't it be more worth it to buy a 9700? Seems like they're pretty similar, aside of the HyperThreading capabilities of the 9900, or are there other benefits I don't see?

4 hours ago, notPotatoe said:

Ok, after a bit of thinking and looking around, wouldn't it be more worth it to buy a 9700? Seems like they're pretty similar, aside of the HyperThreading capabilities of the 9900, or are there other benefits I don't see?

Right for the 9th Gen CPUs, the difference between the i7 and i9 is Hyper-Threading (i.e. 2-thread per core vs 1-thread per core).

From what I can find, at least for Apex Legends, i7-9700 (K) and i9-9900(K) performance are the same.

The extra threads on the i9-9900(K) vs the i7-9700(K) does not yield more performance.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>