Upgrading my Gaming Rig, except for GPU (struggle between Intel vs. AMD and Motherboard)

Go to solution Solved by Jan-Eric,

Going to close the topic!
Decided to get the Ryzen 7 5800X with the Asus Rog Strix B550-A Gaming Motherboard.

Thx for all the replies!

- Jan-Eric 

Budget (including currency): 2.500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming, VR-Gaming(Index Headset)
Monitors: 2x 60MHz 1980x1080 from 2016 I believe (Will upgrade those later)

Why are you upgrading: Wanted a new Case, except for the GPU, everything is now 4/5 years old.

Parts that I don't want to upgrade ('cause pretty new):

• GPU - Gigabyte 2070 Super Gaming OC 3X 8G
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x 16Gb @3200MHz

Parts that I want to upgrade:

(But I'm unsure of what to get for my currents ones:)

• (maybe)RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8Gb @2666MHz
  • Motherboard - ASUS Z170 Deluxe
  • CPU - Intel Core i7 6700K @4.00GHz

Parts that I want to get for the new Gaming Rig:

(I'm open for recommendations)

• Case - Corsair 5000D Airflow (white)
  • Case FANs - Corsair LL120 120mm (white)
  • CPU AIO Cooler - Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix (white)
  • Power Supply - Corsair RM850x Series - 850 Watt
  • Storage - Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1TB
  • Thermal Compound - Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut / Conductonaut

Other details:

I want to have a white themed Gaming Rig, maybe throw some blue or red into the mix. Currently I don't have much time to play some games or VR-titles because I need to learn for my upcoming exams. 

When I'm done with those exams I want to play Game titles like Cyberpunk, Control, The Witcher series and some VR Games which I still didn't played until now like Alyx.

I never did some OC but Im open for it to try.

I watched a lot of videos and reviews for Intel vs. AMD CPUs but I can't decide which I want to get, same for the Motherboard. 

So I would be really happy if I could get some ideas or recommendations for this build that I listed above.

- Jan-Eric

Edited by Jan-Eric
Got the wrong number for the GPU

One thing I prefer AMD is their PCIE Gen4 ability if you go 3000 or 5000 series Ryzen CPU with X570 or B550 motherbaord. For intel, only the most recent rocket lake 11000 series with Z590 have PCIE Gen4 ability.

With that said, for average consumers, the only thing Gen4 is useful at the moment is Resizable Bar Support. So for the sake of prolonging the relativity of your hardware and features, I will favorite AMD unless Intel have the upper hand when comes to pricing.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

AMD is “better” for gaming right now, but it’s painfully hard to get a chip. Intel isn’t that far behind, and stock is actually available..... a CPU that isn’t quite as fast is still a lot faster then a 6700k. So, if you can get a AMD chip, go that route, if not, Intel i7 isn’t a bad option. 

DO NOT USE CONDUCTONAUT. Use kryonaut. Conductonaut is meant for deliding, not for normal heatsink use.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

For the recommendations I believe I will go for the AMD CPUs.

Which one should I get, with the current build:

As for Ryzen 9 5950X is for my standard too expensive, so below that should be within my price range.

1 minute ago, Jan-Eric said:

For the recommendations I believe I will go for the AMD CPUs.

Which one should I get, with the current build:

As for Ryzen 9 5950X is for my standard too expensive, so below that should be within my price range.

That AIO is way to overpriced. Honestly an Arctic Freezer II 360 is $60 cheaper and is just as good.
The PSU is simply wayyyyy to overpriced. An Erenmax Revolution D.F is $110 cheaper and is about the same quality.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

2 minutes ago, Downkey said:

That AIO is way to overpriced. Honestly an Arctic Freezer II 360 is $60 cheaper and is just as good.
The PSU is simply wayyyyy to overpriced. An Erenmax Revolution D.F is $110 cheaper and is about the same quality.

but rather than the AIO and PSU, the main Q is about which AMD ryzen I should go for?
I will check your recommendations for the AIO and PSU, so I can spend less on those and use that money for CPU and the Motherboard.

17 minutes ago, Jan-Eric said:

This looks nice! Really appreciate it! Also color wise for a white case 🙂 

and you have 1.5k left to throw at a gpu

2 hours ago, boggy77 said:

and you have 1.5k left to throw at a gpu

Got a Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC 3X 8G, should be fine for some years to come,
But I still need good monitors 😄 only got 2x 60MHz currently from around 2015/16 

Edited by Jan-Eric
got the wrong number for the GPU

Going to close the topic!
Decided to get the Ryzen 7 5800X with the Asus Rog Strix B550-A Gaming Motherboard.

Thx for all the replies!

- Jan-Eric