Did my motherboard died or is it my PSU?

crsahkaz
Go to solution Solved by Juular,
43 minutes ago, djnjd09 said:

Who even uses hibernation?

I do.

37 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Hibernation is a relic of a time before consumer SSDs were an option. Yes it is faster but it also causes a lot of issues even on new computers. Additionally, every OS needs to shutdown and restart at some point for routine maintenance. Not allowing it to do so can cause from data loss to full drive corruption at some point (meaning the PC won't boot anymore).

Windows 10 uses a hibernation both for sleep and shutdown, i.e it saves the state of OS onto the disk and then shutdowns/sleeps. So saying that hibernation is a relic and it isn't used anymore is wrong. Besides, that has nothing to do with the OP's issue.

52 minutes ago, crsahkaz said:

Unfortunately I don't have any other PSU lying around to test, or another PC to test my PSU with.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot/find the culprit hardware?

Try to reseat RAM too and/or use only one stick (both of them one by one), then try to disconnect everything from the motherboard and see if it shows any signs of life this way. Check the 24-pin PSU cable for damage on the cable itself and connectors on both ends, check the PSU connector too. Do a continuity test on the 24-pin cable, especially 5VSB and PWR_OK. Replace the CMOS battery.

image4383.jpg.e58581c87123e8e65cb43be9f3849e7e.jpg

Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 3 GA-AB350-Gaming 3

PSU: FSP Hydro-G 650w 80+ gold

GPU (if it matters): Gigabyte RX 580 8gb 

What has been tested:

1) Shorting the mobo with screwdriver - FAILED

2) Shorting the PSU (I only unplugged Mobo and GPU cable from my hardwares) - SUCCESS (turned on, but PSU only of course)

3) Reseating cables (albeit I didn't reseat everything - only Mobo, GPU, and the Power Switch/Led/etc for case) - FAILED

4) Reseating (shorting/reset?) CMOS battery - FAILED

5) Reseating PSU power cable (from electrical outlet) and turning it on/off - FAILED

Previous problem(s):

1) Since 2 days ago, my PC wouldn't boot up after a hibernation (didn't try shutdown).

I reseated Case switch/button connectors and it would boot back up.

This happened all the time after hibernation(s) that I did in the past 2 days.

2) Finally, today in the evening (asia time), reseating the Case switch/button connectors (and also swapping Reset switch into Power switch instead, if it was stuck), didn't work.

And thats where I end up right now - PC won't boot, PSU boots (only if shorted with paperclip on mobo power cables).

I plan to take it to a techie tomorrow, but if I could get it to work by tonight (within 2-3h I guess) - I might not need to, though I would still rather get it fixed anyway.

Components aren't new - They were around since 2017 iirc (with the exception of CPU - I switched to it on December 2020).

Unfortunately I don't have any other PSU lying around to test, or another PC to test my PSU with.

Ryzen 5 3600, stated it in the post o.o

Ryzen 5 2400G -B450M DS3H Motherboard (Gigabyte) - 16GB RAM (CL 16, 3000MHz) - 240GB SSD (Kingston) - 1TB HDD(Seagate) - 450W PSU (Corsair) 

5 minutes ago, crsahkaz said:

Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 3 GA-AB350-Gaming 3

PSU: FSP Hydro-G 650w 80+ gold

GPU (if it matters): Gigabyte RX 580 8gb 

What has been tested:

1) Shorting the mobo with screwdriver - FAILED

2) Shorting the PSU (I only unplugged Mobo and GPU cable from my hardwares) - SUCCESS (turned on, but PSU only of course)

3) Reseating cables (albeit I didn't reseat everything - only Mobo, GPU, and the Power Switch/Led/etc for case) - FAILED

4) Reseating (shorting/reset?) CMOS battery - FAILED

5) Reseating PSU power cable (from electrical outlet) and turning it on/off - FAILED

Previous problem(s):

1) Since 2 days ago, my PC wouldn't boot up after a hibernation (didn't try shutdown).

I reseated Case switch/button connectors and it would boot back up.

This happened all the time after hibernation(s) that I did in the past 2 days.

2) Finally, today in the evening (asia time), reseating the Case switch/button connectors (and also swapping Reset switch into Power switch instead, if it was stuck), didn't work.

And thats where I end up right now - PC won't boot, PSU boots (only if shorted with paperclip on mobo power cables).

I plan to take it to a techie tomorrow, but if I could get it to work by tonight (within 2-3h I guess) - I might not need to, though I would still rather get it fixed anyway.

Components aren't new - They were around since 2017 iirc (with the exception of CPU - I switched to it on December 2020).

What about regular shutdowns? Why use hibernation in the first place? 

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

What about regular shutdowns? Why use hibernation in the first place? 

Simply preference since I don't need to reopen everything. Not a big reason.

1 minute ago, crsahkaz said:

Simply preference since I don't need to reopen everything. Not a big reason.

Hibernation is a relic of a time before consumer SSDs were an option. Yes it is faster but it also causes a lot of issues even on new computers. Additionally, every OS needs to shutdown and restart at some point for routine maintenance. Not allowing it to do so can cause from data loss to full drive corruption at some point (meaning the PC won't boot anymore).

In any case, try to replace that power supply to be safe and in the future try to avoid hibernation mode.

Sound like your psu is working. To rule out it’s not a dead mobo, try plugging in the cpu and 24 power pin into the psu only and see if it powers on, if not..most likely a mobo issue.

7 minutes ago, Ryzenjuku said:

Sound like your psu is working. To rule out it’s not a dead mobo, try plugging in the cpu and 24 power pin into the psu only and see if it powers on, if not..most likely a mobo issue.

Did test that, it wasn't booting (things tested on number 1)

43 minutes ago, djnjd09 said:

Who even uses hibernation?

I do.

37 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Windows 10 uses a hibernation both for sleep and shutdown, i.e it saves the state of OS onto the disk and then shutdowns/sleeps. So saying that hibernation is a relic and it isn't used anymore is wrong. Besides, that has nothing to do with the OP's issue.

52 minutes ago, crsahkaz said:

Try to reseat RAM too and/or use only one stick (both of them one by one), then try to disconnect everything from the motherboard and see if it shows any signs of life this way. Check the 24-pin PSU cable for damage on the cable itself and connectors on both ends, check the PSU connector too. Do a continuity test on the 24-pin cable, especially 5VSB and PWR_OK. Replace the CMOS battery.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Threads merged. Do not post the same post multiple times; this is considered spamming.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

17 hours ago, Juular said:

I do.

Took it to a techie today, turns out it was PSU that died.

Tested with another PSU of techie and it turned on.

Guess it was on the brink of death since 2 days ago.