be Quiet Pure Base 500 DX Fan Configuration (GPU/CPU Temps)

Hey Guys!

So I recently built my first PC and I just wanted get opinions on fan configurations for my build.  I currently have all 140mm fans (2 x Noctua NF A14 Fans - Used as Front Top Intake and Back Top Exhaust, 3 x Pure Wings (that came with the case) - 1 Back Exhaust & 2 Front Intake).  As for the CPU cooler, I have the Noctua NH -U12S with one fan set in pull configuration.  With this current set up, I get the below temps:

With the mesh top off of my case

GPU idle temp = 30 C to 35 C

CPU idle temp = 38 C to 48 C

Whilst Playing Battlefield V

GPU Temp = 48 C to 55 C

CPU Temp = 58 C to 61 C (CPU Temps spike between 60  C to 71 C at certain times while gaming, but goes back down to 60 C)

I just feel like the CPU temps could be a bit better.  I'm not sure if it's due to my current fan configuration or the thermals from my RTX 3080 FE is affecting it as well.

I did try the configuration that the Hardware Canucks suggested and had 4 140mm intake fans (2 Front and 2 top) and 1 140mm exhaust fan (back).  I did receive better CPU temps, but my GPU temps suffered and climbed to about 80 C on certain benchmarks.

I also tried 2 140 mm  front intake fans and 1 140mm back exhaust (All Pure Wings Fans) and had decent temps for the GPU, but fairly high temps for my CPU (The highest I saw it go was about 80C)

Any kind of help would be appreciated.  

My Build Specs:

GPU: RTX 3080 FE

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X

MoBo: MSI X470 Gaming Plus

Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 850W

the 3080 FE push air from bottom to top so it was fighting the top intake fan afaik

-> Moved to Cooling

You already have good temps. You can switch fans around all day and not really get any improvements.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks @LogicalDrm.  I just thought that it could be a bit better.  If I'm safe at those temps, then I think I should be good with my current setup.

8 minutes ago, LarterStryder42 said:

Thanks @LogicalDrm.  I just thought that it could be a bit better.  If I'm safe at those temps, then I think I should be good with my current setup.

Front, bottom intake, rear, top exhaust. I personally wouldn't use 2 fans on top. The front fans bring enough cool air already.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@LogicalDrm, would it be better if I moved my 2 Noctua 140mm fans to the front? and just have 3 fans overall?  2 x 140 mm Noctua Fans at the front and 1 x Pure Wings for rear exhaust.  Sadly my case does not allow for bottom intake.

I currently have the 2x Pure Wings at the front.

3 minutes ago, LarterStryder42 said:

@LogicalDrm, would it be better if I moved my 2 Noctua 140mm fans to the front? and just have 3 fans overall?  2 x 140 mm Noctua Fans at the front and 1 x Pure Wings for rear exhaust.  Sadly my case does not allow for bottom intake.

I currently have the 2x Pure Wings at the front.

You can test and see. I have been running 2 in, 1 out for several years now.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@LogicalDrm Gotcha!  Could I ask you what your case fan curves are?  I'm kind of curious.  I just have a feeling that since I have the 3080 FE, I have to tweak my curve a bit in order to supplement it.  If I were to do 2 Intake and 1 Exhaust.

14 hours ago, LarterStryder42 said:

@LogicalDrm Gotcha!  Could I ask you what your case fan curves are?  I'm kind of curious.  I just have a feeling that since I have the 3080 FE, I have to tweak my curve a bit in order to supplement it.  If I were to do 2 Intake and 1 Exhaust.

I have DC fans, 2x FD Silent Series R3's and 1 R2.

Intake, using GPU as temp sensor:

intake.PNG.e2396f90ec393eb3f3d2c635d123d242.PNG

This has had some noise/ramping issues because its DC controlled and this mobo is old. Thats why its stepped.

Exhaust, using CPU as sensor:

exhaust.PNG.19fc7d66901a8497a3809e3b9f7b7f95.PNG

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks!  That gives me an overview of how I can set mine up.  Of course, everyone's curve is different.  

Does it matter what sensor you use for your fans?  I have all of my fans set to CPU Temp.  Should I divide some to GPU, CPU and System?  Actually, come to think of it, I don't even think my BIOS allows the GPU to be the sensor lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 5:58 PM, LarterStryder42 said:

Thanks!  That gives me an overview of how I can set mine up.  Of course, everyone's curve is different.  

Does it matter what sensor you use for your fans?  I have all of my fans set to CPU Temp.  Should I divide some to GPU, CPU and System?  Actually, come to think of it, I don't even think my BIOS allows the GPU to be the sensor lol.

Well, a bit. GPU is more reliant on intake air and heats up faster than CPU when used. So if you have option to use GPU as sensor, it might be beneficial in performance terms to hook intakes to it. Like if you are running something that doesn't really stress CPU, intake fans might not adapt to heat being produced by GPU fast enough. You could go around this by tweaking more aggressive curve ofc.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv