Upgrading my editing rig for higher tier proffessional work

Hi there everyone. Videographer/filmmaker in Durban South Africa. Been in the videography space since 2018 but fully took it up last year.

My rig is as follows:

CPU: i5 8600K (never been overclocked)

GPU: AMD Radeon RX580 (ASUS Strix edition) 8GB

MOBO: ASUS B360 Prime

2TB Hikvision [SATA SSD]

11TB of HDD storage (2x 4TB and 1 3TB)

500w PSU

32GB DDR4 RAM (2666 Mhz)

It's served me quite well up to this point, Although I do find only 6 cores and 6 threads has limited me. I noticed this since my boss at the agency in which I work upgraded to an i9 10850k.

This was specifically to edit RED footage for an advert that we've been commissioned to do. To say I was impressed was an understatement. That processor scrubs through the 6K timeline lik absolute butter. Coupled with the GTX 1660 in the box

it does quite a respectable job. 

I've finished my stint in the office and am now contracted to go on a documentary shoot which will see me earn a healthy sum for 16 days on the road. I was thinking of upgrading my MOBO and CPU to a Ryzen 9 

3900XT or 3900XT (strangely the latter version seems to be cheaper on e-bay, not sure why though). I'm not even thinking of a GPU since I think the RX580 has enough virtual RAM to make do on the editing rig. I don't even play games (my friends all roast me for this since I have the perfect gaming CPU), as I'm only interested in productivity and specifically editing. I use most of the Adobe suite (Premiere, Audition, Photoshop,After Effects), but since I'm a Fujifilm shooter I stricty use Capture One instead of Lightroom. 

SO my main concern is, if I can't make budget for the Ryzen CPU with the MOBO (preferably an x570 motherboard), is the 10850K (with a new MOBO of course) still a respectable upgrade option for my needs? 

Your thoughts/opinons are most welcomed.

3 minutes ago, Jonox_01 said:

Hi there everyone. Videographer/filmmaker in Durban South Africa. Been in the videography space since 2018 but fully took it up last year.

My rig is as follows:

CPU: i5 8600K (never been overclocked)

GPU: AMD Radeon RX580 (ASUS Strix edition) 8GB

MOBO: ASUS B360 Prime

2 TB Hikvision [SATA SSD]

11 TB of HDD storage (2x 4TB and 1 3TB)

500w PSU

It's served me quite well up to this point, Although I do find only 6 cores and 6 threads has limited me. I noticed this since my boss at the agency in which I work upgraded to an i9 10850k.

This was specifically to edit RED footage for an advert that we've been commissioned to do. To say I was impressed was an understatement. That processor scrubs through the 6K timeline lik absolute butter. Coupled with the GTX 1660 in the box

it does quite a respectable job. 

I've finished my stint in the office and am now contracted to go on a documentary shoot which will see me earn a healthy sum for 16 days on the road. I was thinking of upgrading my MOBO and CPU to a Ryzen 9 

3900XT or 3900XT (strangely the latter version seems to be cheaper on e-bay, not sure why though). I'm not even thinking of a GPU since I think the RX580 has enough virtual RAM to make do on the editing rig. I don't even play games (my friends all roast me for this since I have the perfect gaming CPU), as I'm only interested in productivity and specifically editing. I use most of the Adobe suite (Premiere, Audition, Photoshop,After Effects), but since I'm a Fujifilm shooter I stricty use Capture One instead of Lightroom. 

SO my main concern is, if I can't make budget for the Ryzen CPU with the MOBO (preferably an x570 motherboard), is the 10850K (with a new MOBO of course) still a respectable upgrade option for my needs? 

Your thoughts/opinons are most welcomed.

Your best available option is a 3900x, which is around 10% faster than a 10850k in productivity. If it's more than 15-20% expensive it is not worth buying though. The 10850k beats the 3900x in single core, the 5900x beats it, but the 5900x is out of stock and also significantly more expensive.

What programs are you using?

Id try to get a ryzen 12/16 core if you can, but the 10850k is a pretty good system too.

If you got time to make proxies, thats what id do, much better editing performance even on slow systems.

I'm using most of the Adobe Suite (Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, Audition). My Photo editing softwware is Capture One (for my Fuji cameras - Fuji themselves endorse it). I preferably want to get a 3900X or 3900XT.

Otherwise there's not much else. I can't bring myself to game. It's just not in me.