Need help modifying an AMD FirePro S7100x to Either R9 M395x 8 GB or R9 M485x

On 10/18/2023 at 12:51 AM, ThatTrainGuy said:

I started this project over 2 years ago and ended it around 18 months ago...., that would have been very helpful back then!

What is the S7100X's power consumption when idle (desktop)?

P.S.: Are you Andrei Palishchuk aka Hedzin?

https://github.com/OneB1t/HawaiiBiosReader

On 10/18/2023 at 3:49 AM, SERG_V said:

Like this? The file can be edited using the link.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19GyvNsvCwWNG_hFpj7a2gkwfauJRFgc3mnW4Ntjj1aw/edit#gid=0

2023-10-187_45_07.png.b53c1282c0e981d7e14d153698bc8dab.png

Is the operating logic of PowerPlay and Dynamic Power Management the same?
https://www.techpowerup.com/articles//overclocking/vidcard/154/5

"...The boot state mostly, but not for all BIOSes, has only one clock info mode, mostly mode 00. Click and hold the State 1 now. In this example, it says "Power saving for notebooks..." and so on. This may differ for your BIOS. Clicking and holding state 1 in this example yields that state 1 corresponds to clockinfo 01, 02 and 03. Scroll the list box over to the right now. You may see something like "high performance" and/or "optimal performance". So, this state seems to be the mode the card usually is switched to after booting. The state has three modes, as you see. One is denoted as "low", one as "medium" and one as "high". This is a rule of thumb that might help you: Maybe the card finds itself in the "low" mode when being at the window's desktop (Windows XP). Windows Vista's aero desktop might require the card to switch to "medium". After starting a 3D application like a computer game, the card should switch to high. As you can see, for this state the "high" mode (clock info 3) has higher clock rates. To overclock the card for games, it should be a good idea to increase the settings here. For power saving in 2D mode, decrease the settings in clock info 01 in this example..."

Set them all to the same voltage. 

I'm pretty sure the mVL, mVM and MVH voltage values correspond to whatever power plan you set in your OS or driver software. (Amd control centre)

So for example in windows OS's:

mVL=Power saver

mVM=Balanced

mVH=High Performance

Having only pushed the S7100x at the top end of the scale and not the bottom, it would be a 'educated 😅' guess however...... somewhere between 10-20w would be about right. 

No I'm not Hedzin 🙂

Since were drifting a little off the original topic here..., PM me if you need any further info/help.

17 hours ago, ThatTrainGuy said:

Set them all to the same voltage. 

I'm pretty sure the mVL, mVM and MVH voltage values correspond to whatever power plan you set in your OS or driver software. (Amd control centre)

So for example in windows OS's:

mVL=Power saver

mVM=Balanced

mVH=High Performance

Having only pushed the S7100x at the top end of the scale and not the bottom, it would be a 'educated 😅' guess however...... somewhere between 10-20w would be about right. 

No I'm not Hedzin 🙂

Since were drifting a little off the original topic here..., PM me if you need any further info/help.

I'm sorry for disappearing, life happened. I'll work with them to find stable 2D clock speeds and idle voltages. I have some ideas where to start.

7 minutes ago, Mxm.mini.setup said:

I'm sorry for disappearing, life happened. I'll work with them to find stable 2D clock speeds and idle voltages. I have some ideas where to start.

No worries!

Were getting it sorted, added you to the chat 🙂

• 2 months later...
On 7/30/2022 at 9:15 AM, Mxm.mini.setup said:

Here, these are what ThatTrainGuy and I have worked on. He managed to increase the tdp to help the overclocks and tightened the timings on the memory. Oc4 is a 90w tdp bios and is the most stable we have the memory so far. I'd start clean and flash the 6dp bios and then flash the one you want. If it doesn't work for you, just let me know.

Edit, these overclocks are his work. I was going through our messages and saw he only used the 6dp as a base. I apologize everyone. 

C1.ROM 512 kB · 26 downloads OC2.ROM 512 kB · 21 downloads OC3.ROM 512 kB · 20 downloads OC4.ROM 512 kB · 32 downloads s7100x6dp.bin 512 kB · 44 downloads

Hi man! You did a great job!

I tried the s7100x6dp.bin on my laptop but it gives me a black screen, on boot and in windows/MacOS, always! I assumed from the name of the file the vbios support 6 DP outputs. My laptop have eDP with a 4k panel. Can you please confirm there is nothing to do for me? For now, I'm using an external monitor via HDMI cable. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Riko Monte said:

Hi man! You did a great job!

I tried the s7100x6dp.bin on my laptop but it gives me a black screen, on boot and in windows/MacOS, always! I assumed from the name of the file the vbios support 6 DP outputs. My laptop have eDP with a 4k panel. Can you please confirm there is nothing to do for me? For now, I'm using an external monitor via HDMI cable. Thank you!

What laptop are you trying to get the S7100x to work in?

From what I can recall all the 6dp vbios does is enable some extra 'display ports' or the actual display port itself 😅 I think the default bios supported 4/5 display outputs and the .6dp vbios enabled up to 6. @Mxm.mini.setup Correct me here if I'm wrong 😅

Do you get any internal display output and/or any output via any other source?

15 hours ago, ThatTrainGuy said:

What laptop are you trying to get the S7100x to work in?

From what I can recall all the 6dp vbios does is enable some extra 'display ports' or the actual display port itself 😅 I think the default bios supported 4/5 display outputs and the .6dp vbios enabled up to 6. @Mxm.mini.setup Correct me here if I'm wrong 😅

Do you get any internal display output and/or any output via any other source?

Thank you for answering!

So, I have a clevo p870dm laptop, it has 2 mxm ports, this one has its igpu disabled, no way to enable it in the bios.  So in order to have any kind of video output the mxm master gpu need to support outputs.

For now I have 4gb m390x in the mxm master slot and the s7100x in the mxm slave slot, in this config it works fine in windows and macos, both cards supported (Monterey is the last macos that support those cards).

What I'm trying to obtain is to use the s7100x in the mxm master slot so I can have double s7100x setup for improvement performance in Davinci Resolve. But putting the s7100x in the mxm master slot does not provide me internal eDP output (I have 4k 60p eDP panel), only external DP and HDMI works. So there's something missing...

Even when drivers load there is no image on the internal screen. The m390x can drive my 4k panel with no issues.

In that post:

you said: "So as a general rule if you want to use the s7100x in a laptop, you'll need one which supports nvidia optimus/amd enduro to get internal display output."

Since in my laptop the internal gpu is disabled I dont have optimus/enduro technology and it seams I dont need it since the card can drive external monitors!

Any tip?

Thank you!

Thank you for answering!

So, I have a clevo p870dm laptop, it has 2 mxm ports, this one has its igpu disabled, no way to enable it in the bios.  So in order to have any kind of video output the mxm master gpu need to support outputs.

For now I have 4gb m390x in the mxm master slot and the s7100x in the mxm slave slot, in this config it works fine in windows and macos, both cards supported (Monterey is the last macos that support those cards).

What I'm trying to obtain is to use the s7100x in the mxm master slot so I can have double s7100x setup for improvement performance in Davinci Resolve. But putting the s7100x in the mxm master slot does not provide me internal eDP output (I have 4k 60p eDP panel), only external DP and HDMI works. So there's something missing...

Even when drivers load there is no image on the internal screen. The m390x can drive my 4k panel with no issues.

In that post:

you said: "So as a general rule if you want to use the s7100x in a laptop, you'll need one which supports nvidia optimus/amd enduro to get internal display output."

Since in my laptop the internal gpu is disabled I dont have optimus/enduro technology and it seams I dont need it since the card can drive external monitors!

Any tip?

Thank you!

That is a very unusual setup you have there!

The short answer to the question is no you cannot get internal display output from the S7100x. (at least from everything we tried!)

You have the best you can get from dgpu only laptop, external output.

The conclusion the we came to was that the S7100x is missing the required components on it's PCB to drive internal display output. So any software/vbios mods will not change this. The Nvidia mxm equivalent (Tesla M6) suffers from exactly the same issue.

Are you not tempted to remove both amd cards and put in a 10 series Nvidia one? 

It'll get rid of all your headaches and give you better performance and lower power consumption/heat. 

Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, ThatTrainGuy said:

That is a very unusual setup you have there!

The short answer to the question is no you cannot get internal display output from the S7100x. (at least from everything we tried!)

You have the best you can get from dgpu only laptop, external output.

The conclusion the we came to was that the S7100x is missing the required components on it's PCB to drive internal display output. So any software/vbios mods will not change this. The Nvidia mxm equivalent (Tesla M6) suffers from exactly the same issue.

Are you not tempted to remove both amd cards and put in a 10 series Nvidia one? 

It'll get rid of all your headaches and give you better performance and lower power consumption/heat. 

Hope that helps!

I think the setup is usual for gamers and no, nvidia is not a solution for a guy who uses macos... 🙂 I'd like to understand if I can go over Monterey...

Anyway, thank you again, now it's clear, hw differences... I will use it in slave slot and will look for a w7170m card.

I think the setup is usual for gamers and no, nvidia is not a solution for a guy who uses macos... 🙂 I'd like to understand if I can go over Monterey...

Anyway, thank you again, now it's clear, hw differences... I will use it in slave slot and will look for a w7170m card.

Mixed amd gpu's in a Clevo....I haven't seen much of that 😅

I understand. 

If you just need extra performance, the S7100x and M390x will overclock well (at least 20%) if your heatsink/s allow.

There's also RX series AMD mxm gpu's available however these aren't an 'official' release and I have no idea whether they'd give you internal display output either.

All the best!

1 hour ago, ThatTrainGuy said:

Mixed amd gpu's in a Clevo....I haven't seen much of that 😅

I understand. 

If you just need extra performance, the S7100x and M390x will overclock well (at least 20%) if your heatsink/s allow.

There's also RX series AMD mxm gpu's available however these aren't an 'official' release and I have no idea whether they'd give you internal display output either.

All the best!

Oh, mixed gpu... It's ok for me since anyway in macos you cant have crossfire.

Thank you for the tip on RX series, I never saw one on ebay or google but looking now I found they are used in eGPUs so they have video outputs, interesting but still not more powerful than s7100x.

47 minutes ago, Riko Monte said:

Oh, mixed gpu... It's ok for me since anyway in macos you cant have crossfire.

Thank you for the tip on RX series, I never saw one on ebay or google but looking now I found they are used in eGPUs so they have video outputs, interesting but still not more powerful than s7100x.

Pmed you since we are drifting off topic 🙂