Case getting very warm while gaming

bungusboy81

My case is pretty small, and while I was gaming last night, the top of my case was really warm. I'm not sure how hot the CPU or GPU were, but I was wanting to know if that could be hurting my computer. It's a prebuilt, so that might be the issue since their coolers are apparently always garbo.

Thank you in advance!

Depends on how decent the airflow is inside. You may want to add a fan or 2 for exhaust and/or intake depending on the fan configuration your prebuilt shipped with. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, bungusboy81 said:

My case is pretty small, and while I was gaming last night, the top of my case was really warm. I'm not sure how hot the CPU or GPU were, but I was wanting to know if that could be hurting my computer. It's a prebuilt, so that might be the issue since their coolers are apparently always garbo.

Thank you in advance!

What about the acoustics? 

Have you heard the fans ramp up at all?

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

On its own this doesn't mean anything either way. The goal is to get heat away from your components. If the case is hot, that's heat not on your components instead, and could mean it's doing what it's supposed to. You need to get something like HWINFO64 and actually monitor your components temps under load. That's the only real way to tell.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

11 minutes ago, Seban said:

What about the acoustics? 

Have you heard the fans ramp up at all?

A little bit, but it doesn't sound like an airplane or anything.

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

On its own this doesn't mean anything either way. The goal is to get heat away from your components. If the case is hot, that's heat not on your components instead, and could mean it's doing what it's supposed to. You need to get something like HWINFO64 and actually monitor your components temps under load. That's the only real way to tell.

Oh ok, thank you. I'm assuming this computer is probably designed to put the heat into the case instead of the components because it's so small.

Maybe you could attach a photo of your pc with the side open?

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

16 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

I played a game for about 20 minutes and my CPU and GPU are both at about 50c according to that program, so I'm assuming that the case is just getting hot and not the actual components.

Yeah. 50C is definitely nothing to be concerned about. However, 20 minutes of gaming isn't all that stressful, either. You might still want to do an actual stress test, like Prime95 for the CPU and Kombuster for the GPU. Particularly if you're not aware of the overall cooling capabilities of your system (as you are not) you definitely want to monitor these while running so you can stop them if heat gets out of control, but that will tell you very definitely whether you need to be concerned at all. By that same token, though, these tests intentionally are designed to put your components under loads you'd almost never experienced in day to day usage, so if all you do is gaming in 20 minute blocks, that's not really necessary.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

Yeah. 50C is definitely nothing to be concerned about. However, 20 minutes of gaming isn't all that stressful, either. You might still want to do an actual stress test, like Prime95 for the CPU and Kombuster for the GPU. Particularly if you're not aware of the overall cooling capabilities of your system (as you are not) you definitely want to monitor these while running so you can stop them if heat gets out of control, but that will tell you very definitely whether you need to be concerned at all. By that same token, though, these tests intentionally are designed to put your components under loads you'd almost never experienced in day to day usage, so if all you do is gaming in 20 minute blocks, that's not really necessary.

Well I usually game about 6 hours at a time, so I'll definitely have to do a stress test.

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

I ran kombustor and my GPU temp reached about 65c~ degrees

On 4/3/2021 at 3:45 PM, bungusboy81 said:

I ran kombustor and my GPU temp reached about 65c~ degrees

Still fine. Your hand is very inaccurate way of measuring temps. Human body temp is 35-37C and anything hotter than that will feel hot. So your case might have been around 40-45C which is far from worrying. For CPU and GPU, the worrying temps are over 85C.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Still fine. Your hand is very inaccurate way of measuring temps. Human body temp is 35-37C and anything hotter than that will feel hot. So your case might have been around 40-45C which is far from worrying. For CPU and GPU, the worrying temps are over 85C.

The hottest my GPU is gotten is when I played a flat baseplate roblox game with my unlocker and no cap, hit 500FPS and it got up to 85c

18 minutes ago, bungusboy81 said:

The hottest my GPU is gotten is when I played a flat baseplate roblox game with my unlocker and no cap, hit 500FPS and it got up to 85c

That could be normal for all we know. Prebuilds are notorious for having bad airflow which means hotter temps for the components under heavy loads.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv