How to tweak my laptop (modify BIOS or whatever) to increase my thermal throttle limits?

Go to solution Solved by OuterGodHermit,

Update, I found some reddit post saying about using ASUS GPU tweak II to increase the thermal limit and MSI to undervolt. I will try that. 85C seems like a good limit, but 77 is just to low. I want my card to be able to ramp up to at least 1400 which is it´s spec boost clock. I understand if past that can cause thermal throttle, but 1100Mhz is too low. 

I have a DELL G5 55587 with an i5-8300H and a GTX 1060 Max-Q. By design (I hate you DELL) the GPU throttles at only 77C. That is way to low for a gaming laptop. I just repaste both the CPU and GPU, got my CPU undervolted at its limit, I disable Hyperthreading, I locked the boost of the CPU to a mere 3.1Ghz of a max of 4.0GHz. Still, my GPU reaches 77C after just one minute if I let it ramp up and boost.

I have to lock the clocks of my GPU with MSI afterburner to around 1100MHz because at this frequency it uses the minimum it requires to be on (0.625mv). So, with my CPU locked and my GPU locked, in reality I'm using my laptop to around 2/5 of its spec potential and that is infuriating. I saved a lot to buy this laptop (I prefer desktop but I didn't have space, no display, so I was kinda of force to stick with a laptop).

More than likely your laptops cooling solution is shared across more than a single model and probably will run away if it goes above 77c. Meaning that the cooler actually will stop working once the hardware is too hot and no amount of fan speed will stop it without actually running the gpu slower.

If the bios for that laptop is simply set to throttle at that temp regardless of OS or driver then you'd have to have a modified or custom firmware to bypass the limits.

Basically you aren't going to see the kind of seemingly infinite control of your hardware that you see in a desktop. The limit is set low to just keep the laptop alive long enough to run out its warranty period.

As a laptop it will unfortunately never reach its spec. You can guarantee most laptops won't be able to sustain their boost clocks. Unfortunately, it's just a limit you'll have to live with. Power delivery and thermal limits always win

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

Update, I found some reddit post saying about using ASUS GPU tweak II to increase the thermal limit and MSI to undervolt. I will try that. 85C seems like a good limit, but 77 is just to low. I want my card to be able to ramp up to at least 1400 which is it´s spec boost clock. I understand if past that can cause thermal throttle, but 1100Mhz is too low. 

For me, cheap laptop cooler with external power keeps cpu and gpu from throttling,  even in summer and I've also overclocked the gpu, +50 core,  150 memory or so. Simple, yet effective:

DSC_2665.thumb.JPG.905b4384bdcccd901db5d2dffd55e97b.JPG

(Italy, during summer,  old house,  attic, 40C ambient temps, 47 fps Monster Hunter World)

Without the cooler it starts throttling (hard) after 10 minutes of "gaming" like halving the framerate or worse... so indeed completely impossible unless you're ok with 12-15 fps ...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity