Trying dual boot..... my pc won't see one of the SSD's... HALP (=TT^TT=)

Go to solution Solved by PwnyTheTiger,

Just perused through your Mobo manual and yes, SATA slots 5 & 6 are disabled when a NVME drive is present. Seeing that the drive disappears when you install the NVME drive, I'd assume this is your issue. Just ensure you plug the SATA SSD into a slot other than 5 or 6. 

EDIT: You can go into your BIOS to disable that feature, which then limits the NVME drive to a x2 PCIe lane(instead of x4). It's found inside the "Onboard Devices Configuration" menu, under the "M.2_1 control" option.

So I decided to re install windows back into my life, just for gaming and drawing. how ever this is the issue I ran into.

My pc has a 250GB SanDisk SSD (Linux Mint), 1TG HDD (for storage) and I just integrated a NVMe for windows. my MOBO is Asus ROG B450-F 

I was able to use my Linux drive very normal, but once I install the NVMe the BIOS no longer sees the SanDisk SSD drive. I haven't even put Windows on the NVMe and the BIOS only sees the NVMe and the HDD. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong, or what configurations do I have to change. the part that throughs me off is that there is nothing on the NVMe and the MOBO just sees that and the HDD and once I remove the NVMe the pc sees my SanDisk SSD. 

36 minutes ago, TigressGrid said:

So I decided to re install windows back into my life, just for gaming and drawing. how ever this is the issue I ran into.

My pc has a 250GB SanDisk SSD (Linux Mint), 1TG HDD (for storage) and I just integrated a NVMe for windows. my MOBO is Asus ROG B450-F 

I was able to use my Linux drive very normal, but once I install the NVMe the BIOS no longer sees the SanDisk SSD drive. I haven't even put Windows on the NVMe and the BIOS only sees the NVMe and the HDD. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong, or what configurations do I have to change. the part that throughs me off is that there is nothing on the NVMe and the MOBO just sees that and the HDD and once I remove the NVMe the pc sees my SanDisk SSD. 

I’ve been seeing repetitive issues with bios and NVMEs in posts.  I don’t know what the deal is.  Good chance someone does but it’s not me.  There used to be a thing when they added SATA where it was sort of an addendum to the code and would get messed up occasionally.  NVME has been around for a long time though.  Could be a motherboard specific issue if it’s bios.  Generic advice for anything BIOS is clear CMOS and maybe reflash.  I don’t know if either would help or is needed though.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Try changing the SATA port that the SSD is on, for example: If it's on port 5 or 6, switch it to 1 or 2. A lot of motherboards disable SATA slots 5 and 6 when a NVME drive is present because it requires those PCIe lanes.

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

Well could be a few things, bios update being 1, or somehow bios see both the nvme and sad on the same I/O and simply. picking NVME as the king, out of curiosity which drive is loaded with Linux and windows, 

8 minutes ago, Desperate Vet said:

Well could be a few things, bios update being 1, or somehow bios see both the nvme and sad on the same I/O and simply. picking NVME as the king, out of curiosity which drive is loaded with Linux and windows, 

Is on my the second line of the thread.....

9 minutes ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

Try changing the SATA port that the SSD is on, for example: If it's on port 5 or 6, switch it to 1 or 2. A lot of motherboards disable SATA slots 5 and 6 when a NVME drive is present because it requires those PCIe lanes.

I have been thinking about it, I will have to try this. is worth a shot. But even then wouldn't I need to change also some configurations on the boot settings tho?

1 minute ago, TigressGrid said:

I have been thinking about it, I will have to try this. is worth a shot. But even then wouldn't I need to change also some configurations on the boot settings tho?

No, the slots are disabled by the motherboard automatically if that's the case of why the SSD isn't showing up. A simple change of the port it's plugged into on the motherboard is all that's required, as long as it isn't 5 or 6.

"Beatrix"

• Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans

Just perused through your Mobo manual and yes, SATA slots 5 & 6 are disabled when a NVME drive is present. Seeing that the drive disappears when you install the NVME drive, I'd assume this is your issue. Just ensure you plug the SATA SSD into a slot other than 5 or 6. 

EDIT: You can go into your BIOS to disable that feature, which then limits the NVME drive to a x2 PCIe lane(instead of x4). It's found inside the "Onboard Devices Configuration" menu, under the "M.2_1 control" option.

"Beatrix"

• PSU EVGA G5 850W

19 minutes ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

Thank you so much for your help. it actually helped. Have a great rest of your day (=^,..,^=)

5 hours ago, TigressGrid said:

Thank you so much for your help. it actually helped. Have a great rest of your day (=^,..,^=)

Nice guess I was slightly correct that they were sharing an I/O basically just it's more the hardware then bios great job happy for ya