Help me clarify regarding the ASUS laptops...

Go to solution Solved by M1novsky,

The Legion 5 is a good choice, I was also looking for Legion before I buy my ROG. If you can find the specs you want on sale, just go for it!
I think a TUF gaming laptop with Ryzen 4000 mobile is the A15 (see below), which have a bad airflow. So avoid buying it. I love the subtle design of A15 since it doesn't really scream gaming laptop. But after watching the review, I would never look for A15 again.

But its successor, the TUF Dash F15, is very good though. One reviewer, I think it was Dave 2D, said it was very good. But the Dash F15 is powered by Ryzen 5000, so it would be more expensive.

image.png

While I'm researching to buy a new gaming laptop I heard many people say that ASUS ROG STRIX and TUF series laptops are crap. Is it true? They say it is weak in thermals and its QC isn't true. Pls explain me.

Every laptop is weak in thermals compared to a similarly specced desktop. It's the trade-off you make to squeeze an extremely powerful piece of equipment into a box only a few centimetres thick - the airflow is always going to be pretty poor.

For many people that trade-off is worth it, but if thermals are your concern, it might not be.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

On 3/28/2021 at 12:08 AM, suriya2210 said:

While I'm researching to buy a new gaming laptop I heard many people say that ASUS ROG STRIX and TUF series laptops are crap. Is it true? They say it is weak in thermals and its QC isn't true. Pls explain me.

rog is not too hot if daily using but when playing game the fan can be loud, not only asus but every laptop

tuf is a budget line-up from asus gaming line-up so the thermal will not be good as the other competitor or the rog

but if you want the coolest, you can watch more review and see the temperature while playing game

I think you should watch the review of the specific model you're looking for. the early version TUF A15 (FX506) were said to have a very bad intake and exhaust since the airways were blocked, but the refreshed version with Ryzen 5000 mobile chips were praised by reviewers.

I am daily driving ROG Strix G GL531 and it worked like magic, the reviews I watched said that the thermal is very good and the fan acoustic is relatively silent. it's pretty much true from my perspective. But then again you should adjust your expectation towards these gaming laptops, since I never expected both ROG Strix and TUF to be able to compete with those shiny high-end Zephyrus, or Alienware, or even the XMGs in terms of thermals and quality cause they are on a whole another level. And also considers what kind of specs you are looking for, higher specs CPU & GPU will emit more heat.

Also always be mindful about your thermal paste and clean the exhaust fan periodically to ensure its longevity.

On 4/2/2021 at 8:11 PM, M1novsky said:

I think you should watch the review of the specific model you're looking for. the early version TUF A15 (FX506) were said to have a very bad intake and exhaust since the airways were blocked, but the refreshed version with Ryzen 5000 mobile chips were praised by reviewers.

I am daily driving ROG Strix G GL531 and it worked like magic, the reviews I watched said that the thermal is very good and the fan acoustic is relatively silent. it's pretty much true from my perspective. But then again you should adjust your expectation towards these gaming laptops, since I never expected both ROG Strix and TUF to be able to compete with those shiny high-end Zephyrus, or Alienware, or even the XMGs in terms of thermals and quality cause they are on a whole another level. And also considers what kind of specs you are looking for, higher specs CPU & GPU will emit more heat.

Also always be mindful about your thermal paste and clean the exhaust fan periodically to ensure its longevity.

I'm looking at a Legion 5 with R5-4600H and ASUS TUF with similar specs

The Legion 5 is a good choice, I was also looking for Legion before I buy my ROG. If you can find the specs you want on sale, just go for it!
I think a TUF gaming laptop with Ryzen 4000 mobile is the A15 (see below), which have a bad airflow. So avoid buying it. I love the subtle design of A15 since it doesn't really scream gaming laptop. But after watching the review, I would never look for A15 again.

But its successor, the TUF Dash F15, is very good though. One reviewer, I think it was Dave 2D, said it was very good. But the Dash F15 is powered by Ryzen 5000, so it would be more expensive.

image.png

On 3/28/2021 at 12:08 AM, suriya2210 said:

Well TUF does have a worse thermals compared to Strix. 

But they are reliable. Me and my friends been using them for 2 years now

On 4/7/2021 at 11:54 AM, M1novsky said:

It's crap. Dave2D reviews are crap as well IMO.

The Dash F15 never had Ryzen 5000.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128