I think I got bad advice and was ripped off on my first PC build, I am a noob and need good advice pls

Frenetixx
Go to solution Solved by DCCFan,

🙂

Here's the exact one I have. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-AMD-Radeon-R7-250-2GB-GDDR3-PCIe-GPU-FDT1K-DVI-DP-Low-Profile-Tested/265102265460?

It's $34 now. But it's pretty acceptable compared to the 710. Aisle9 is right, it is a tad stronger than Intel integrated graphics. You can even game on intel CPU graphics. My children used to before I got the GPU. You just have to play with low settings.

I'd say check out the rx460 but all gpu's are so overpriced these days, even those are going for about $150.

Budget (including currency): 600-750 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 1st year of use mainly internet browsing, youtube, word, star craft 1 and starcraft 2 only for games, business and school use 

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice, I am very new to building PC's so please forgive my ignorance. I paid someone on Fiverr to help me make a build since I did not know what I was doing, you can see the pic of the first build. I thought the CPU he recommended was a little to expensive considering I would also have to buy a graphics card, and he mentioned they are super inflated right now, so I watched one of Linus's pc building videos and he used the 3000g so I asked the Fiverr guy if I can use that since it has graphics abilities,  I saw it was a speed of 3.5ghz and I thought that was pretty good and at the time had zero knowledge about the core count of CPU's.

I noticed my PC is a little bit slow even using such things as Word and messenger so I was disappointed, there might be some very small lag in the programs but I can notice, I came from using a Ipad Pro 2018 (8 core) where everything is lighting fast for me, I believe he gave me bad advice because I paid almost $200 for a 3000g when this AMD Ryzen 5 costs only a little bit more and it seems way better with 6 cores. I plan to return the 3000g and buy this Ryzen since its only a little bit more expensive. (The pc build pics are in USD, the amazon pics are in CAD)

Question 1 

I am wondering if this would be a good choice for me? I want something very fast, I am mainly using the PC for school, business, entertainment and for starcraft 1 and 2, I do though plan to use it for programs for photo editing and video editing later on when I start my youtube channel and get a better graphics card when I am not broke and the prices are better. 

Question 2

Can I just get some really old graphics card from amazon so I can play startcraft 2 with the Ryzen 5 and maybe do super basic photo editing? Can anyone please recommend me any super cheap graphics card that will fit my needs and your thoughts on my build, I would like to be able to watch YouTube in 1080p. Any help will be tremendously appreciated. Thanks!                  🙂

(First pic is current build, second pic was his first recommendation. He recommended i get a 1060 graphics card and it was way to expensive, thats why i gravitated to the 3000g but I dont think I needed such an expensive graphics card in the first place?)

pc 1.jpg

second build.jpg

cpu price.jpg

maybe this cpu.jpg

The person on Fiverr was either stupid or trying to rip you off.

The 2600 is much, MUCH better than the 3000G.

elephants

6 minutes ago, Frenetixx said:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

This CPU does not have on board graphics and requires a discreet GPU right?

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

the 2600 is much better, but it doesn't have an iGPU. if you can't find a dedicated GPU (which is EXPENSIVE rn), you wouldn't be able to use your rig to begin with.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

thanks for your reply, at first he recommend that Ryzen 5 at first and also recommended this:

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 4-core, 8-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Radeon RX Graphics

but when I mentioned about the 3000g he just went along with it and did not really advise me on getting a better CPU

I have a new question:

What would make more sense for me to get the 2600 and an old graphics card (not used) OR

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 4-core, 8-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Radeon RX Graphics

since that has graphics built in? 

14 minutes ago, Frenetixx said:

I paid someone on Fiverr to help me make a build

Oof, should have came here instead for advice.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

2 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

This CPU does not have on board graphics and requires a discreet GPU right?

yes it needs a separate GPU

2 minutes ago, Frenetixx said:

thanks for your reply, at first he recommend that Ryzen 5 at first and also recommended this:

but when I mentioned about the 3000g he just went along with it and did not really advise me on getting a better CPU

I have a new question:

What would make more sense for me to get the 2600 and an old graphics card (not used) OR

starcraft 2 doesn't seem to need much to run, so the 3400G will do.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

4 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

starcraft 2 doesn't seem to need much to run, so the 3400G will do.

thank you very much for the reply, how do I gauge the power or ability of what this card can do for graphics? and other GPU's? For instance if I search for the requirements for what ever software I am going to use, how do I tell if its good enough?

Starcraft 2 Minimum System Requirements
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo | AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
  • RAM: 2 GB RAM.
  • HDD: 30 GB available space.
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT | ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT | Intel HD Graphics 3000 or better.  ????
  • Screen Resolution: 1024X768 or better.

1 minute ago, Frenetixx said:

thanks for your reply, I need reccomend that Ryzen 5 at first and also reccomended this:

I have a new question:

A 3400G is selling anywhere between $160 and $230+ on eBay right now. By comparison, a GTX 750 Ti (which is a wee bit more powerful than the 3400's Vega 8 ) will set you back about $80-85, and the R5 2600 new (don't buy it new) is $189 on your Amazon.

Seriously, don't buy it new. You can get a Ryzen 5 3600 for $150 on eBay.

So, looking at your options here, an R5 3400G which is a meh processor and really weak graphics would probably end up costing you around $180-190. All prices are USD, of course. An R5 3600 would set you back, hell, let's just call it $160 USD. You can get it for $200 USD brand new. You need a GPU with that, but you're getting a vastly more powerful CPU. If you go the GTX 750 Ti route, you're spending more for a more powerful GPU, but it's still far from great in 2021 and you'll need to replace it eventually.

If it were me and all I wanted to do was play Starcraft, I'd just go down to the thrift shop and buy whatever Dell Optiplex 755 they have sitting there this week, buy a $9 Q6600 off of eBay, tape over two pins, spend $20 on 8GB of DDR2, drop $15 on an HD 7570 and enjoy Zerging ALL the things. Seriously, Starcraft and Starcraft 2 can run on a literal potato, and given the state of the PC market and what you say you intend to do with it, this is one of those situations where cheaping out now makes a ton of sense for when prices eventually adjust. For $100 tops, you've got an ancient boat anchor that can get you through these dark times, and you've got money you can put away for a big boy PC when the market figures itself out.

That's not necessarily a recommendation, because if you decide in a month that you like Cyberpunk and you want to play Cyberpunk now, you ain't doing it with a 13-year-old Optiplex. But if you're positive that what you have listed in your first post is what you want to do with your PC, then tbqh, my "just make it f*cking work" mentality says overhaul an Optiplex.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

18 minutes ago, Frenetixx said:

I have a new question:

As someone else said, the 3400G would work well for the games you wanna play. Plus you can always upgrade the CPU down the line if you require more power. Just in casemake sure your mobo is good enough for a ryzen 7 like the 3800x, then you'll be able to upgrade without changing the mobo.

GPU-wise, what I did for my children's rig was get a refurbished GPU from eBay and I couldn't be happier with it. That can be risky though, so if you go that route choose a seller with a great reputation and lots of reputation. The one I bought from was a refurbished components store that had over 200k sales and 99.9% good rep. 

26 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

A 3400G is selling anywhere between $160 and $230+ on eBay right now. By comparison, a GTX 750 Ti (which is a wee bit more powerful than the 3400's Vega 8 ) will set you back about $80-85, and the R5 2600 new (don't buy it new) is $189 on your Amazon.

Seriously, don't buy it new. You can get a Ryzen 5 3600 for $150 on eBay.

So, looking at your options here, an R5 3400G which is a meh processor and really weak graphics would probably end up costing you around $180-190. All prices are USD, of course. An R5 3600 would set you back, hell, let's just call it $160 USD. You can get it for $200 USD brand new. You need a GPU with that, but you're getting a vastly more powerful CPU. If you go the GTX 750 Ti route, you're spending more for a more powerful GPU, but it's still far from great in 2021 and you'll need to replace it eventually.

If it were me and all I wanted to do was play Starcraft, I'd just go down to the thrift shop and buy whatever Dell Optiplex 755 they have sitting there this week, buy a $9 Q6600 off of eBay, tape over two pins, spend $20 on 8GB of DDR2, drop $15 on an HD 7570 and enjoy Zerging ALL the things. Seriously, Starcraft and Starcraft 2 can run on a literal potato, and given the state of the PC market and what you say you intend to do with it, this is one of those situations where cheaping out now makes a ton of sense for when prices eventually adjust. For $100 tops, you've got an ancient boat anchor that can get you through these dark times, and you've got money you can put away for a big boy PC when the market figures itself out.

That's not necessarily a recommendation, because if you decide in a month that you like Cyberpunk and you want to play Cyberpunk now, you ain't doing it with a 13-year-old Optiplex. But if you're positive that what you have listed in your first post is what you want to do with your PC, then tbqh, my "just make it f*cking work" mentality says overhaul an Optiplex.

Thanks very much for the reply, I should mentioned that I might want to play higher end games in the future and I do want to be able to render 4k video and use more powerful photo/video editing software, I already built the pc so I would like to keep it other than the CPU, what CPU do you think makes more sense for me?  if i get the R5 3600 can I use a graphics card like this for the time being, i would say for this year I want to do what i mentioed earler, but would like to have a more powerful pc in the months to come to then do more intensive things, prices are in CAD and new

New
$286.99
+ $17.00 shipping

OR--

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler - YD2600BBAFBO

I would not get a 710 GPU. They're so very weak. Even weaker than what I got for my Athlon II office PC.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-710-vs-AMD-R7-250/m77649vsm8217

I paid $20 on eBay for this r7 250. You could get the 250 if you find it for $20 and use it while you save for a better card. It can play stuff like Roblox and Minecraft. I've even played RE6 haha

Here's one (removed eBay link because it was the 240)

The power of the 250 is similar to Intel integrated graphics, I think. At least HD graphics from a couple gens ago. 

1 minute ago, Frenetixx said:

Thanks very much for the reply, I should mentioned that I might want to play higher end games in the future and I do want to be able to render 4k video and use more powerful photo/video editing software, I already built the pc so I would like to keep it other than the CPU, if i get the R5 3600 can I use a graphics card like this? 

Between those two options, and it kills me to say this, I'd probably go with the 3400G. I'm just that averse to anyone ever spending money on the GT 710.

The question really comes down to this for me:

• R5 3400G: You've got your CPU and GPU in one package, but you're making a pretty big compromise on both with a weak CPU and a weak GPU. But, again, you've got everything and don't need to worry about fighting the GPU market.
  • R5 3600 + any GPU: You're going to need to upgrade the GPU before playing more modern stuff, but even a 710 would be more than fine for Starcraft. If you do buy a cheap crap-tier GPU, don't spend $70 on a GT 710. Don't spend anything on a GT 710. Go to eBay and buy a used HD 7470, HD 7570, HD 8450, R5/R7 240 or R7 250 for under $50 (as low as $10 US for the 7470) instead. They perform every bit as well as a GT 710. Hell, a chihuahua with an HDMI cable shoved up its ass outperforms a GT 710, and eBay automatically gives you free 30-day returns if something goes wrong.

You spend more up front on the 3600+GPU option, but if you decide in a year that the 3400G is just unbearable as a CPU, you end up spending more yet to replace the 3400G and buy a GPU. It's a risk either way.

4 minutes ago, DCCFan said:

The power of the 250 is similar to Intel integrated graphics, I think. At least HD graphics from a couple gens ago. 

The GDDR5 version of the R7 250 still outperforms Intel integrated graphics (at least the UHD ones, the Xe stuff probably smokes it), but it's lacking a lot of driver support and instruction sets modern games like to see.  That said, if I can find one for under $30 and I need a GPU, any borderline marginally gaming-capable GPU as long as it isn't a GT 610 or HD 5450, I'm on it.

2 hours ago, DCCFan said:

I would not get a 710 GPU. They're so very weak. Even weaker than what I got for my Athlon II office PC.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-710-vs-AMD-R7-250/m77649vsm8217

I paid $20 on eBay for this r7 250. You could get the 250 if you find it for $20 and use it while you save for a better card. It can play stuff like Roblox and Minecraft. I've even played RE6 haha

Here's one (removed eBay link because it was the 240)

thank you for the replies 🙂

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

The GDDR5 version of the R7 250 still outperforms Intel integrated graphics (at least the UHD ones, the Xe stuff probably smokes it), but it's lacking a lot of driver support and instruction sets modern games like to see.  That said, if I can find one for under $30 and I need a GPU, any borderline marginally gaming-capable GPU as long as it isn't a GT 610 or HD 5450, I'm on it.

thanks a lot

I think I will go this route AMD Ryzen 5 2600 + any GPU and get a better graphics card maybe next year, thanks again for your input 🙂 does this sound good?

thanks everyone, any more input would also be appreciated 

🙂

Here's the exact one I have. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-AMD-Radeon-R7-250-2GB-GDDR3-PCIe-GPU-FDT1K-DVI-DP-Low-Profile-Tested/265102265460?

It's $34 now. But it's pretty acceptable compared to the 710. Aisle9 is right, it is a tad stronger than Intel integrated graphics. You can even game on intel CPU graphics. My children used to before I got the GPU. You just have to play with low settings.

I'd say check out the rx460 but all gpu's are so overpriced these days, even those are going for about $150.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 3:16 AM, DCCFan said:

🙂

you are an awesome person thank you