Chocolate Chipset

Is it even necessary to update the chipset, especially on a brand new mobo? Or can it brick the board?

2 minutes ago, Curiousbetsy said:

Is it even necessary to update the chipset, especially on a brand new mobo? Or can it brick the board?

did you mean to say update and it autocorrected to a tasty treat?

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

It sounds like you're talking about a 'BIOS Update'. I'll smoke what you're smoking to translate that to 'Chocolate Chipset' lmao.

No, updating the BIOS won't brick anything. Yes, sometimes it is necessary because BIOS updates often add support for newer CPUs released after the motherboard, when the board doesn't get a BIOS update at the factory.

As long as there is no power outage while updating your BIOS there is no risk involved.

If you do have a power outage during the updating process, it will likely brick the board. But many boards nowadays have a flashback feature and can be saved. And often the manufacturer can also fix a corrupted BIOS if you send the board in for repair.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

47 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

many boards nowadays have a flashback feature

Less pervasive than you might think, esp. if you're in the new-cpu-that-needs-a-motherboard-BIOS-update-to-work situation

2 hours ago, Aereldor said:

No, updating the BIOS won't brick anything.

No, it actually does

I bricked a board by updating the bios, no power outage or anything, it just stopped working after the update

Does op mean chipset driver that's in Windows though?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Maybe OP means Chocolate chipset as opposed to Vanilla (out of the box) chipset/BIOS?

13 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

No, it actually does

I bricked a board by updating the bios, no power outage or anything, it just stopped working after the update

Does op mean chipset driver that's in Windows though?

Your experience has a sample size of one. Just because you bricked one sad board with one bugged update doesn't mean it happens to the majority of motherboards and BIOS updates.

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

If you are talking about BIOS update, the answer is "it depends". If your BIOS supports all hardware out of the box, then update is not required. If you are using last gen mobo with next gen CPU, then update might be required. Also, if there are any issues with BIOS, then update might also fix things.

As for chipset driver, thats always required, but updating it after first install isn't really something to worry about. Most drivers are something you only touch when you are having issues. As I recently did with my GPU driver while troubleshooting BSOD.

Can you brick mobo when updating BIOS? Yes. Thats why its not recommended for newbies. Can you brick mobo with chipset driver? No, but you can mess up your OS.

E: Adding that I have not bricked any BIOS, but have read about people doing so. I have bricked router with firmware update. I also have seen how someone could brick mobo while updating Z97 MSI board for a friend. The process had couple of restarts of which one looked like the thing was finished while it wasn't. So the possibility is real, and you really need to be aware of it, read the instructions, do research etc.

5 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Maybe OP means Chocolate chipset as opposed to Vanilla (out of the box) chipset/BIOS?

Thats not really the way that terminology should be used. Vanilla means "by manufacturer". Any updates are by manufacturer. Modded BIOS or 3rd party things would be something not-Vanilla.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Your experience has a sample size of one. Just because you bricked one sad board with one bugged update doesn't mean it happens to the majority of motherboards and BIOS updates.

2 hours ago, Aereldor said:

No, updating the BIOS won't brick anything.

"wont" and "low chance" has a big difference

out of all my bios update, it only happened once

im not saying it happens all the time, just that it does happen

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I like how I put one random word in the title and that became the focus of discussion.

18 minutes ago, Curiousbetsy said:

I like how I put one random word in the title and that became the focus of discussion.

Did you at least get the answer you sought?

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

On 3/28/2021 at 12:04 AM, Sarra said:

Did you at least get the answer you sought?

Eh, not really, I just want to know the risks to updating the chipset and if I do do I also have to update the bios?

10 hours ago, Curiousbetsy said:

Eh, not really, I just want to know the risks to updating the chipset and if I do do I also have to update the bios?

There should be very little, if any, risk of updating chipset drivers. They are infrequently updated, so therefore, there is more time for the manufacturer to test it. You can do a restore point before updating, and if the driver doesn't work well, you can revert.

As for the BIOS, it sorta depends. Chipset drivers should work regardless of BIOS in most cases. If you have a REALLY old BIOS, you might want to update it. If it's fairly recent, and you aren't having problems with stability, then just leave it be.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022