Do I need to buy an adaptor for the rx 6800 xt taichi?

TonnyM

Hello , I recently talked with someone of Facebook marketplace and they said they are willing to swap their rx 6800xt taichi for my RTX 3070 aorus master , if you ask why , I noticed that amd cards get more FPS in games than nvidia , since I have a ryzen 5 3600 and I play only 1080p , anyway , the problem is that my psu does not have 3 different cables  for pcie , it has one and it is split , and the card that I want requires 3 ? Can I buy an adapter and after put it into the gpu ? Or I need a whole new psu, I left you guys a pic with what I’m talking about 

97F7485B-AA0E-4690-9B80-FD70315F5CF0.jpeg

This is such an advantageous trade that I would be careful about things.  The 6800xt is a 3080 competitor not a 3070 competitior.  This could be a mining thing or a DLSS thing but the msrp for the 6800xt isn’t just higher than the 3070 it’s a LOT higher.  The other party will be taking some level of financial loss.  Use caution.  Just blindly Throwing your card in the mail might mean it’s the last you hear of this other person. I don’t even know how to safely accomplish such a trade. Doesn’t mean there isn’t one of course.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This is such an advantageous trade that I would be careful about things.  The 6800xt is a 3080 competitor not a 3070 competitior.  This could be a mining thing or a DLSS thing but the msrp for the 6800xt isn’t just higher than the 3070 it’s a LOT higher.  The other party will be taking some level of financial loss.  Use caution.  Just blindly Throwing your card in the mail might mean it’s the last you hear of this other person. I don’t even know how to safely accomplish such a trade. Doesn’t mean there isn’t one of course.

I won’t put it in mail , we will do it f2f , also he wants it cause his motherboard is aorus pro and would look good with the gpu cause it’s aorus lol 

2 minutes ago, TonnyM said:

I won’t put it in mail , we will do it f2f , also he wants it cause his motherboard is aorus pro and would look good with the gpu cause it’s aorus lol 

When you do the trade open the box and make sure there’s actually a card inside.  Also warranties and things can mean a lot.  A card that can’t be RMAed if it has problems has problems. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

If your PSU doesn't have 3 PCI-E connectors - It's because it can't handle it.

Also you have to consider the buggy drivers of AMD.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

buggy drivers of AMD.

This. Kinda easy to imagine why other person would want a trade... 

2 hours ago, TonnyM said:

I noticed that amd cards get more FPS

Depends on the games probably,  but I still think the 3070 is a very good card,  and if you actually have issues with the performance it might very well be because of issues with your system.   Generally speaking i don't understand why you're not happy with a 3070, the card is completely OP ,especially for 1080p.

I'd be really careful, that deal sounds fishy, and you might end up even more unhappy with the allegedly stronger card...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Ketchup and mustard cables is not what I expect with a high-end psu. What's the make and model of the psu?

28 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Ketchup and mustard cables is not what I expect with a high-end psu. What's the make and model of the psu?

It’s not a high end psu, it is a Corsair vs650

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

This. Kinda easy to imagine why other person would want a trade... 

Depends on the games probably,  but I still think the 3070 is a very good card,  and if you actually have issues with the performance it might very well be because of issues with your system.   Generally speaking i don't understand why you're not happy with a 3070, the card is completely OP ,especially for 1080p.

I'd be really careful, that deal sounds fishy, and you might end up even more unhappy with the allegedly stronger card...

Might be my system idk , with amd was better 

4 hours ago, Vishera said:

If your PSU doesn't have 3 PCI-E connectors - It's because it can't handle it.

Also you have to consider the buggy drivers of AMD.

Are they buggy again ? I had a rx 5700xt for 6 months , I had nothing 

VS650 is a low end groupregulated psu meant for office or low end gaming systems. I wouldn't pair that with a >$1000 videocard.

13 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

VS650 is a low end groupregulated psu meant for office or low end gaming systems. I wouldn't pair that with a >$1000 videocard.

Well, I already did that for a couple of days and had no problems , also , I used it with a rx 5700 xt sapphire pulse for 6 months and it was ok

2 minutes ago, TonnyM said:

and it was ok

You think it was OK because you didn't measure voltages, riplle, transient time response etcetera. Good luck!

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

You think it was OK because you didn't measure voltages, riplle, transient time response etcetera. Good luck!

I don’t even know what’s that :c 

28 minutes ago, TonnyM said:

Are they buggy again ? I had a rx 5700xt for 6 months , I had nothing 

No issues with my 6900xt either, it's just a meme at this point that the echochamber kids keep repeating.

3 minutes ago, pzspah said:

No issues with my 6900xt either, it's just a meme at this point that the echochamber kids keep repeating.

Exactly what I said , the funny thing is , nvidia is more bugged lol 

8 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Can you tell me what psu to buy then ?

With a RTX 3070 or 6800 XT I recommend a high end 750w psu like Corsair RMx/RMi/HX, be quiet Straight Power 11, MSI MPG Ax50GF, Enermax Revolution D.F., Fractal Design ION+.

44 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

With a RTX 3070 or 6800 XT I recommend a high end 750w psu like Corsair RMx/RMi/HX, be quiet Straight Power 11, MSI MPG Ax50GF, Enermax Revolution D.F., Fractal Design ION+.

Ah.. thank you but they are all out of my price range , I only have like £90 

49 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

6BECDEE4-4D62-4586-AFA9-EB0A12062513.png

3 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Thanks for the links really appreciate it , I will look on Amazon to see if I can find them there , also I have sent you a picture with a psu, it’s £100

7 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

I editted my previous post. RM750 is OK for 100. I did limit my search till 90.

Last question , since I don’t know , do you know if I will get the cables I need ? Even if the gpu needs 3 pcie ? 

All the mentioned psus have two pci-e cables with in total four 6+2 pin pci-e connectors.