i9-10850k spikes to 100° on Noctua NH-U12S

Cesarelli

Hi to all, i recently built a new system and i upgraded to an i9-10850k and Noctua NH-U12S cooler, i saw Linus' video on "cooling an i9-10900k on the cheap" and i bought this cooler because i won't overclock and i dont do rendering of any kind. Just for fun i did the same blender classroom benchmark that they did in their video and my cpu temps spiked to 100 degrees after 30/40 seconds and stayed there until the test fineshed. Any ideas why this is happening? On the video the cpu reached about 85° if i recall correctly so this doesn't make any sense.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Cesarelli said:

Hi to all, i recently built a new system and i upgraded to an i9-10850k and Noctua NH-U12S cooler, i saw Linus' video on "cooling an i9-10900k on the cheap" and i bought this cooler because i won't overclock and i dont do rendering of any kind. Just for fun i did the same blender classroom benchmark that they did in their video and my cpu temps spiked to 100 degrees after 30/40 seconds and stayed there until the test fineshed. Any ideas why this is happening? On the video the cpu reached about 85° if i recall correctly so this doesn't make any sense.

Thanks

Well there are a couple factors, including airflow. What is your case?

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

22 minutes ago, Cesarelli said:

Thanks

If you take off the side panel and it goes back to normal, then you know case is the problem. If not, then something else is the problem.

22 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Well there are a couple factors, including airflow. What is your case?

I have a Corsair 4000D airflow, so I don't think it's a case problem since at idle or non intensive loads i sit around +8/10 above ambient

If you watch til the end of the video, you can see the NH-U12S DOES climb up to / close to 100*C during the Blender Classroom test.

That is with Multi-Core Enhancement enabled -- it is enabled in the BIOS at default, I believe.

image.thumb.png.c8e6bc8517b3d3871fe9331a03b1fcbc.png

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

5 hours ago, -rascal- said:

If you watch til the end of the video, you can see the NH-U12S DOES climb up to / close to 100*C during the Blender Classroom test.

That is with Multi-Core Enhancement enabled -- it is enabled in the BIOS at default, I believe.

image.thumb.png.c8e6bc8517b3d3871fe9331a03b1fcbc.png

Okay so I checked in the BIOS and yes MCE is set to Auto, which I think its the worst of both worlds since in blender i "only" got to 4.8Ghz on all cores but 100°. Idk, what do you guys recommend, it's worth to leave it in auto since I don't use this kind of workloads or it's just a waste of power.

Thank you by the way

1 hour ago, Cesarelli said:

Okay so I checked in the BIOS and yes MCE is set to Auto, which I think its the worst of both worlds since in blender i "only" got to 4.8Ghz on all cores but 100°. Idk, what do you guys recommend, it's worth to leave it in auto since I don't use this kind of workloads or it's just a waste of power.

Thank you by the way

I think you're safe to leave it on. Just monitor your temps with HWinfo during normal use conditions and see where you're at.

11 hours ago, Cesarelli said:

Thank you by the way

What kind of voltages you are getting? MCE is essentially autoOC and will raise voltages as well as clocks. Voltages are the reason for high temps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ok update,

I tried the following things: i re-pasted the cpu, i added 1 more fan in the front so now it has one directly infont of the cpu cooler and the second is half for cpu and half for gpu, i checked the cooler's mounting pressure and it was fine, into the bios i deactivated Multi Core Enhancement, i enabled Turbo Power limits and any combinations of the last two.

Nothing changed, i might throw in the towel on this one.

The thing that worries me the most isn't Cinebench or Blender which i'll never use, but since i built this pc for 144hz 1440p gaming (which i'm not doing due to gpu shortage, i'm currently running my old r9 380x and 1080p monitor, don't judge me i found the i9 for 340$ new so i had to buy it now kek) i don't want to get my 3080 and 1440p monitor and find out that my cpu throttles with any hard to run games.

Ideas? Especially on the whole 1440p gaming thing.

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

What kind of voltages you are getting? MCE is essentially autoOC and will raise voltages as well as clocks. Voltages are the reason for high temps.

my voltages were around 1.345V to 1.351V during the tests and i never exceeded 4.8Ghz which seems odd if i had no power limits at all.

1835384498_cpu100.thumb.png.8aee66e719dc2bd0df2478a109d36ee9.png

13 minutes ago, Cesarelli said:

Ok update,

I tried the following things: i re-pasted the cpu, i added 1 more fan in the front so now it has one directly infont of the cpu cooler and the second is half for cpu and half for gpu, i checked the cooler's mounting pressure and it was fine, into the bios i deactivated Multi Core Enhancement, i enabled Turbo Power limits and any combinations of the last two.

Nothing changed, i might throw in the towel on this one.

The thing that worries me the most isn't Cinebench or Blender which i'll never use, but since i built this pc for 144hz 1440p gaming (which i'm not doing due to gpu shortage, i'm currently running my old r9 380x and 1080p monitor, don't judge me i found the i9 for 340$ new so i had to buy it now kek) i don't want to get my 3080 and 1440p monitor and find out that my cpu throttles with any hard to run games.

Ideas? Especially on the whole 1440p gaming thing.

my voltages were around 1.345V to 1.351V during the tests and i never exceeded 4.8Ghz which seems odd if i had no power limits at all.

1835384498_cpu100.thumb.png.8aee66e719dc2bd0df2478a109d36ee9.png

Those are rather high voltages. If you can, setting them much lower will fix most of your issues. Since you aren't OCing, going to 1.2 or even lower would be fix.

I'm bit rusty with Intel overclocking, so I don't know if current generation chips are made to be run with higher voltages. Few generations back and it wasn't worth it to run OC with over 1.35V daily.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Those are rather high voltages. If you can, setting them much lower will fix most of your issues. Since you aren't OCing, going to 1.2 or even lower would be fix.

I'm bit rusty with Intel overclocking, so I don't know if current generation chips are made to be run with higher voltages. Few generations back and it wasn't worth it to run OC with over 1.35V daily.

I checked on the forum ad apparently it's pretty common for i9s to use such high voltages for no reasons. I followed your advice and undervolted by 100mV, and it's running much cooler now (around 75/80°C) and dropped 50w from power consumption. I just think that's crazy that you need to undervolt a brand new cpu with factory setting to make it run at reasonable temps. 

Btw i just tweaked the offset voltage with ThrottleStop if you have any additional changes i should set in the BIOS due to undervolting let me know, I'm new to tweaking cpus.

6 hours ago, Cesarelli said:

I checked on the forum ad apparently it's pretty common for i9s to use such high voltages for no reasons. I followed your advice and undervolted by 100mV, and it's running much cooler now (around 75/80°C) and dropped 50w from power consumption. I just think that's crazy that you need to undervolt a brand new cpu with factory setting to make it run at reasonable temps. 

Btw i just tweaked the offset voltage with ThrottleStop if you have any additional changes i should set in the BIOS due to undervolting let me know, I'm new to tweaking cpus.

Intel has had this problem for years. It's not often talked by reviewers since they use big coolers or OC anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv