I7-10700k (non oc) thermals

Go to solution Solved by bellabichon,
16 minutes ago, tolstoy234 said:

I was also wondering if it was strictly necessary? Are these temps dangerous to my cpu? I was looking and on core temp my Tjmax was 115c, which I never got near and if I broke 90 it was due to spikes on one core. 

That's up to you. 90C is definitely at the high-end of what I'd consider normal, but if you're not noticing any difference in performance (or if you don't care), then it's not a big deal. I wouldn't expect your CPU's lifespan to be greatly reduced by spending time at those temps. 

Hey all. I was able to get my graphics card temps sorted out to an area where I am comfortable, so now I am taking a look at my cpu temps.

I was gaming and saw a couple cores spike to 100ish c but go back down to high 80s low 90s. 

I pulled a cinebench test with core temp up and 4 cores ended up spiking to 90ish while others went to the high 80s, but stayed mostly in the high 70s low 80s during the test.

My question, how can I improve the thermals? I am still new and this is my first build (thank you tax return)

CPU cooling solution: CyberPowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 120mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate

Case: Nzxt H510

I attached the image of my cinebench results and my core temp program.
thank you all!

image.thumb.png.d1a316195c013fcf706dc770d3f84de0.png

That's not super unexpected on that cooler. It's a CyberPower-branded Cooler Master 120mm AIO, which is somewhat underpowered when it comes to cooling the 10700k. What's the current fan configuration in your case? If you don't want to replace the AIO, getting some more airflow going could help with temps. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Just now, bellabichon said:

That's not super unexpected on that cooler. It's a CyberPower-branded Cooler Master 120mm AIO, which is somewhat underpowered when it comes to cooling the 10700k. What's the current fan configuration in your case? If you don't want to replace the AIO, getting some more airflow going could help with temps. 

I have 3 intake (2 front, 1 back) and 1 exhaust (out the top) with the power supply fan acting as another exhaust. I am open to replacing the aio. Do you have any recommendations?

I was also wondering if it was strictly necessary? Are these temps dangerous to my cpu? I was looking and on core temp my Tjmax was 115c, which I never got near and if I broke 90 it was due to spikes on one core. 

16 minutes ago, tolstoy234 said:

That's up to you. 90C is definitely at the high-end of what I'd consider normal, but if you're not noticing any difference in performance (or if you don't care), then it's not a big deal. I wouldn't expect your CPU's lifespan to be greatly reduced by spending time at those temps. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

37 minutes ago, tolstoy234 said:

CPU cooling solution: CyberPowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 120mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate

10700k pulls 125W stock. And you're doing around 4.2-4.3ghz all core. Cooling 125W with that tiny cooler is a stretch. You can try under volting the CPU with a voltage offset, I believe you can get it to around 100W, if the bin is good enough. But I expect you bought a "K" CPU to overclock.. So in that case, I suggest a better CPU cooler, or really good fans in push pull config. And crank the RPM. But I wouldn't expect this tiny thing to cool more than 150W, even under best available conditions.

I got my mobile i7-10875H, also an 8-core, to undervolt to 95W with 4.2ghz allcore turbo. 

Undervolt it

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x