PC shuts down after first boot of the day - launches fine after second

FreakyAlleyCat

So i've recently upgraded my entire PC as discussed here.

(Its a Ryzen 5800x build on an MSI B550m Mortar with 32GB of Corsair Vengeance and a 2070 Super).

OS is Win10 Professional 64 bit.

The machine is running fine except for one mysterious error. Every morning i turn on my PC for the day it will boot just fine, log into windows, show my desktop for a split second and then give me the windows - shutting down - message. Still the machine doesn't really turn off entirely, the fans are still running and everything inside my case stays lit up with rgb but the screens go black and the PC is completely unresponsive no matter what i try. The only fix is to forcefully shut the thing down with a long press of the hardware button and the second boot ALWAYS works flawlessly.

I have

- cleared the CMOS

- reinstalled windows

- wiped the bios

- updated to a newer bios that came out in the meantime

- tested with xmp disabled 

- reseated the GPU and RAM

- tested my RAM with the windows onboard tests

but nothing seems to make a difference.

I've found someone on this board describing the exact same issue in 2018, unfortunately without a solution.

I'm running out of ideas since I don't even have the slightest clue what part of the rig or software might be at fault here. When it's booted up and running, the machine works perfectly fine.

Any help is really appreciated.

Cheers from germany!

Luke

PS: Restarting the pc during the day or even shutting it down and turning it back on after a little while never recreates the error. It only seems to occur when the machine has been off over night.

@Heliian What makes you think it could be the battery? The board is brand new and all my bios settings (like fan curves, etc.) have never been dropped by the board. Also the error occurs after sucessfully posting and after windows has been logged in... i might be wrong but isn't that well past the point in the startup process where the cmos battery plays any role at all?

I once had a dead cmos battery causing boot errors but that resulted in not getting a sucessful post because the old asus board kept forgetting it had an M.2 in it. 😄 

It's a very cheap and simple test, any batteries that come prepacked with any electronic are generally lower quality and could have been sitting for extended periods in who knows what conditions.  This is exacerbated by cold temperatures.

Occam's razor, one of my personal faves. 

It sounds as if it doesn't like your ram. 

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

It sounds as if it doesn't like your ram. 

Interesting but why does the machine fire up just perfectly every single time after the first round of morning hickup and then keep running without the slightest issue for the day? If it was a ram issue, would it not cause more constant issues? Unfortunately i don't have another ddr4 kit to test this - although the ram i'm using right now is in the compatibility list of the board and it doesn't make a difference whether xmp is enabled or not.