RX 560 FPS Issues

GameR69

Hi All, I have recently upgraded to Rx 560 from my old Amd Radeon HD7570. But I don't notice any performance differences, nor is my GPU using all of its performance / VRAM. it uses only 1GB Vram / 4GB. I'm running the latest Amd Drivers for the Card but there is no difference. I'm getting 8-25FPS on Low/Medium settings even on older title games. Based on my research online my GPU only needs 85W at max load and I've seen similar builds running at stock PSU with no issues. I couldn't find any solutions to my problem if anyone can help me out that be greatly appreciated.

My PC Specs:

HP 6200 Pro MT.

CPU : Intel Core i5 2400 | 3.10Ghz

GPU : ASUS AMD Radeon RX 560 4GB OC Edition | 21.3.1 AMD Radeon Software

RAM : 12 GB DDR3
PSU : HP 320W
HDD : 500GB HDD

Motherboard : HP 1497

18 minutes ago, GameR69 said:

Hi All, I have recently upgraded to Rx 560 from my old Amd Radeon HD7570. But I don't notice any performance differences, nor is my GPU using all of its performance / VRAM. it uses only 1GB Vram / 4GB. I'm running the latest Amd Drivers for the Card but there is no difference. I'm getting 8-25FPS on Low/Medium settings even on older title games. Based on my research online my GPU only needs 85W at max load and I've seen similar builds running at stock PSU with no issues. I couldn't find any solutions to my problem if anyone can help me out that be greatly appreciated.

My PC Specs:

HP 6200 Pro MT.

CPU : Intel Core i5 2400 | 3.10Ghz

GPU : ASUS AMD Radeon RX 560 4GB OC Edition | 21.3.1 AMD Radeon Software

RAM : 12 GB DDR3
PSU : HP 320W
HDD : 500GB HDD

Motherboard : HP 1497

The i5 2400 is quite old at this point and might be holding you back. Have you checked the CPU utilization? Also which games are you playing and seeing no improvement in the FPS?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Just now, Analog said:

The i5 2400 is quite old at this point and might be holding you back. Have you checked the CPU utilization? Also which games are you playing and seeing no improvement in the FPS?

How do you check the CPU utilization? and i'm running a mix of older / new titles like : Assassin's Creed Black Flag, CSGO, GTA 5 and Valorant. 

3 minutes ago, Analog said:

image.png.7f3f8554502b3d6918365e626f6a38cf.pngimage.png.b6dbe8d19fd84d8377dbcd9364d7efcf.png

3 minutes ago, GameR69 said:

How do you check the CPU utilization? and i'm running a mix of older / new titles like : Assassin's Creed Black Flag, CSGO, GTA 5 and Valorant. 

Most of those games are more CPU intensive than anything else. This becomes even more prevalent when playing on low or medium settings. Try bumping up the settings to high and see if you get better FPS. This will offload more work to the GPU instead of the CPU. 

You can check the utilization, temperatures, clock speed and voltages of each component with HWiNFO -> https://www.hwinfo.com/ 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Have you plugged your monitor to the motherboard or in the gpu?

because it seems like you are using intergrated graphics

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

6 minutes ago, Analog said:

Most of those games are more CPU intensive than anything else. This becomes even more prevalent when playing on low or medium settings. Try bumping up the settings to high and see if you get better FPS. This will offload more work to the GPU instead of the CPU. 

You can check the utilization, temperatures, clock speed and voltages of each component with HWiNFO -> https://www.hwinfo.com/ 

IMG_20210319_160523.jpg

i tried using MSI Afterburner for the stats. it doesnt seem like my CPU is struggling to keep up. (Running AC:4 Black Flag)

9 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Have you plugged your monitor to the motherboard or in the gpu?

because it seems like you are using intergrated graphics

I've plugged the monitor in the GPU. i also tried switching from HDMI to DVI but nothing was changed.

i have also disabled integrated graphics in the system bios and only using the external PCIE for the output.

10 minutes ago, GameR69 said:

i tried using MSI Afterburner for the stats. it doesnt seem like my CPU is struggling to keep up. (Running AC:4 Black Flag)

Well, the CPU is pinned at 100%, which shows that it is actually being max out. Just now saw it is Core 1 and overall it is at 30%. Silly me. 😄

What is more interesting, however, is that the RX 560 is reportedly running only at 247MHz, which is definitely not right. According to Asus website that card should run at 1210 MHz before any boosting. 

What OS are you running? Type winver in the start menu and click enter in order to see that. It will also give you build number. 

Have you updated that motherboard's BIOS? 

9 minutes ago, GameR69 said:

IMG_20210319_160523.jpg

strange that the other cores are barely even utilized, like they're idling.. go into your task manager, than right lick on AC:4 Black Flag and right click on Go to details, and than right click on the AC:4 Black Flag once again (in the details tab) and select Set Affinity, check all processors.

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

1 minute ago, Analog said:

Well, the CPU is pinned at 100%, which shows that it is actually being max out. What is more interesting, however, is that the RX 560 is reportedly running only at 247MHz, which is definitely not right. According to Asus website that card should run at 1210 MHz before any boosting. 

how can i fix this problem? i could only think of upgrading the power supply to 500W.

Just now, GameR69 said:

how can i fix this problem? i could only think of upgrading the power supply to 500W.

You could, but I don't think that the power supply is the issue here. Usually if the power supply was not providing enough power, the computer would simply turn off under full load. TO me this is more of a software issue. 

2 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

strange that the other cores are barely even utilized, like they're idling.. go into your task manager, than right lick on AC:4 Black Flag and right click on Go to details, and than right click on the AC:4 Black Flag once again (in the details tab) and select Set Affinity, check all processors.

i tried doing that just now. it already has all the processors checked.

1 minute ago, Analog said:

You could, but I don't think that the power supply is the issue here. Usually if the power supply was not providing enough power, the computer would simply turn off under full load. TO me this is more of a software issue. 

i see. also i noticed the GPU is not always pinned at 100% it keeps changing to different values. i also monitored it in task manager it says only 9% of the GPU is being used when running the game.

4 minutes ago, Analog said:

image.png.0677ee8a9ee13cafe3f3c4145921eb00.png

This is with the game running. it doesnt always stay at 100% usage

2 minutes ago, GameR69 said:

image.png.0677ee8a9ee13cafe3f3c4145921eb00.png

This is with the game running. it doesnt always stay at 100% usage

Do you have the newest drivers? Try reverting to the previous version, or use DDU to completely reinstall your drivers (its easy to use, its automatic).. this is mostly a driver or a Windows issue, see if it fixes it.. (make sure to check windows update along with it)

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

1 minute ago, 1ppOverheat said:

Do you have the newest drivers? Try reverting to the previous version, or use DDU to completely reinstall your drivers (its easy to use, its automatic).. this is mostly a driver or a Windows issue, see if it fixes it.. (make sure to check windows update along with it)

I will try to reinstall the drivers and use DDU to uninstall the current ones. i have already checked with windows update but the driver it installed hasn't made any difference. 

43 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

I have reinstalled the drivers and I'm using the latest ones (21.3.1) but nothing was changed no improvements whatsoever.

3 hours ago, Analog said:

Well, the CPU is pinned at 100%, which shows that it is actually being max out. Just now saw it is Core 1 and overall it is at 30%. Silly me. 😄

What is more interesting, however, is that the RX 560 is reportedly running only at 247MHz, which is definitely not right. According to Asus website that card should run at 1210 MHz before any boosting. 

What OS are you running? Type winver in the start menu and click enter in order to see that. It will also give you build number. 

Have you updated that motherboard's BIOS? 

Just saw this :c. I'm using the Windows Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.868) and i'm not too sure about how to update the motherboard's BIOS. i couldn't find a guide that is for my motherboard which is "HP 1497". also i tried to change GPU Clock Speed using the Radeon Software, i managed to bump it up to 800Mhz. but even that made no difference in overall performance /FPS.

19 minutes ago, GameR69 said:

Just saw this :c. I'm using the Windows Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.868) and i'm not too sure about how to update the motherboard's BIOS. i couldn't find a guide that is for my motherboard which is "HP 1497". also i tried to change GPU Clock Speed using the Radeon Software, i managed to bump it up to 800Mhz. but even that made no difference in overall performance /FPS.

This is quite strange. It could be that the power supply is not providing enough power, but like I said earlier it does seem to me more of a software issue so it is best to rule that out before spending any additional money on this computer. 

Seems like HP aren't really supporting their older pre-builts. All I was able to find for your computer on HP's website is this -> https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-6200-pro-microtower-pc/5037909. There is only one BIOS available to download as an update and it dates from 2014 which is rough, but probably understandable considering the computer rocks a Sandy Bridge processor. Anyways, you can try and update to that version see what happens. 

If it is still the same, I would suggest just doing a complete Windows reinstallation. This will ensure there are no old driver versions conflicting with newer ones and everything is up to date. 

I found this benchmarking video. It is in Russian and uses an i5 2500 instead of your 2400, but the performance shouldn't be that much different. These are roughly the FPS that should be seeing if everything was running properly. 

40 minutes ago, Analog said:

This is quite strange. It could be that the power supply is not providing enough power, but like I said earlier it does seem to me more of a software issue so it is best to rule that out before spending any additional money on this computer. 

Seems like HP aren't really supporting their older pre-builts. All I was able to find for your computer on HP's website is this -> https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-6200-pro-microtower-pc/5037909. There is only one BIOS available to download as an update and it dates from 2014 which is rough, but probably understandable considering the computer rocks a Sandy Bridge processor. Anyways, you can try and update to that version see what happens. 

If it is still the same, I would suggest just doing a complete Windows reinstallation. This will ensure there are no old driver versions conflicting with newer ones and everything is up to date. 

I found this benchmarking video. It is in Russian and uses an i5 2500 instead of your 2400, but the performance shouldn't be that much different. These are roughly the FPS that should be seeing if everything was running properly. 

There is no Windows 10 option in that hp bios update link. I have uninstalled nearly all old graphics software/drivers from the PC. Even used the DDU tool to do it twice. Reinstalling Windows seems risky cause I would lose all my data and installing everything back would be a long process. Can't really think of any other reasons other than the power supply not being enough to power everything.

The BIOS update should be independent of the Windows itself. So there should be no issues updating it. 

Reinstalling Windows is what often resolves bizarre issues like this, but if you want to skip this step and go for a new power supply then you can do that. If the new power supply doesn't do the trick, however, you will need to back up your data and reinstall Windows in order to eliminate a that as possible culprit.