Looking for advice on $1000 gaming laptop.

Go to solution Solved by Slelsul,

I will just set this message as the solution for now as the solution can be said to be a mix of most or all previous comments on this thread. Picking only one will not suffice. I still welcome and encourage further answers, replies, and solutions to this thread to further my understanding as well as those who may read this thread in the future as is relevant. Again thanks for all the help and various answers.

I am looking for a bit of advice or counseling so to speak on what I should look for or expect in a gaming laptop $1,000 USD or less.

I need the laptop able to run most titles on low or medium settings at or above 60 fps while streaming or recording software is running.

I honestly do not know what I should look for or expect to be good at this price concerning laptops.

I would also like to edit videos and graphics at a stable a decent quality as well as a bit of music production at times.

I also really do not want to go any less that 16gigs RAM and run SSDs only ngl.

Some points I would say are needed to touch on would be:

-Processor and clock speeds

-Acceptable GPUs

-Storage

-Just every spec and part in the laptop is in question.

I really want to make a informed decision and not get screwed out of the absolute best at the available price.

I until now have not had anything better that pre-owned user referbished $250 old office laptops to game on.

I have an out and do not want to settle.

It needs performance and to be honest a little shine wont hurt given it would be nice if it felt good as well.

Thanks for any and all help and advice ahead of time.

Linus really likes to hype this forum so I want to see if it was worth the account creation given this is my first time creating an account on any forum.

I only ever just scour forum after forum without accounts for any information or research.

Given it would always be a colossal waste to make an account for every forum I come across given the dozens of unique issues I have or would have, I never do.

Today is full of first for me.

Please be gentle.

EDIT: MADE THE FONT BIGGER. IT WAS HARD TO READ ON MOBILE.

Edited by Slelsul
Made the font bigger for ease of reading on mobile.

DISCLAIMER!!!

I am not a professional.

I am working with personal experiences and very limited knowledge.

You are likely to teach me more than I am likely to be helpful.

I am still going to try though.

I will be very very wrong a lot of the time.

It will always be best to research everything I say to be sure I am not turning your PC into a nuclear toaster.

At that price point it's definitely possible to get a machine that will do those things you want. I will say first off, I advise being especially mindful of how you want to balance performance, build quality, and portability when considering a laptop around $1000.

re: CPU, at least 6 cores tho 8 wouldn't hurt if you're going to also be doing streaming/content creation. The 8-core AMD 4000 and 5000-series CPUs are really good for that although I would stay away from the 3000-series AMD mobile as they're kinda outdated now.

for GPU I think a GTX 1660Ti might be the sweet spot; although a 2060 can be a pretty big jump in features and performance you usually have to make big compromises elsewhere to get one in a less than $1000 laptop.

Storage, yes, SSDs. Many 15" laptops now have two M.2 slots and NVMe M.2 SSDs have gotten relatively affordable nowadays so that's probably the way to go. Some have 2.5" bays and some do not, and it's worth keeping in mind that the ones that do have an option for 2.5" SSD/HDD generally have significantly smaller batteries.

If you're doing content creation, display quality is something to look out for. 100% sRGB coverage is something that's common now and will be clearly advertised if it's a feature.

Powerspec 1530 (Clevo PB50DF2) ~ i7 10875H ~ RTX 2070 Super 115W ~ 32GB DDR4 ~ 2x 1TB NVMe ~ 2TB 5400RPM ~ 1080P 240hz matte IPS

Gigabyte G1 GA-970-SLI ~ FX 8320 @ 3.3Ghz, 1212mV ~ 16GB DDR3 ~ Radeon 570 4GB ~ 512GB NVMe ~ 2x 1TB HGST 7200RPM

Xtras ~ Dell 22" 1680x1050 matte IPS monitor ~ Logi M705 mouse ~ PowerA Fusion Pro Xbox One controller ~ Sony XB950N1 headphones ~ Epson V700 film scanner

Streaming Setup ~ OBS Studio with AMF encoding ~ iVCam bridged to LG G6 ~ Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface ~ TONOR condenser cardioid mic

The MSI GL75 and the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GL are both interesting. However with similar set ups after looking into the processors I found that the 10th gen I7 was the better option to work with out of the two. As far as the ASUS TUF FX505DY the thing looks really nice on the website but I am not sure I want to mess with it. Regardless of upgrade it still defaults 8Gbs RAM and has A HDD instead of a SSD. Thanks for both inputs as it gives me more of an idea on what to look for as acceptable for a $1,000 laptop. I do plan to keep this tread open for more input to try and understand a wider range of options and opinions.

@SMC1989@Starkitty0985

DISCLAIMER!!!

I am not a professional.

It will always be best to research everything I say to be sure I am not turning your PC into a nuclear toaster.

Thank you Natty Ice for that information. I will look up and research those things in depth to learn more about them. All the comments so far are very helpful in setting a base understanding for myself. Again thank you everyone that has helped me so far in learning these things.

@Natty Ice

DISCLAIMER!!!

I am not a professional.

wrong url

Edited by SMC1989

I will just set this message as the solution for now as the solution can be said to be a mix of most or all previous comments on this thread. Picking only one will not suffice. I still welcome and encourage further answers, replies, and solutions to this thread to further my understanding as well as those who may read this thread in the future as is relevant. Again thanks for all the help and various answers.

DISCLAIMER!!!

I am not a professional.

15 hours ago, Betterthanever said:

Hi @Slelsul,

Just tell me have you considered a Clevo based build laptop? I have some interesting model I can show you if you wish. Possibilities of modification are very rich in these and they have limited impact on warranty if you swap parts carefully.

@Betterthaneveractually to be honest I do not know what that is. I can look it up and learn about it but would like to clarify if it will be possible to achieve equal or greater performance to what was already mentioned for the $1,000 price. I will look it up for now though. Also if the models you have are well enough then I would actually like to see them. I am always interested in new tech.

DISCLAIMER!!!

I am not a professional.

@BetterthaneverThank you for this. I had to drop off for a bit. Sorry for not getting to you sooner. But about this website... It is great. Combining the knowledge from the others and this website I found I get just a bit more than what I expected for the same price. I plan to do some research into the brand itself and the base models they use but this looks like my solution. Again thanks for the links.

DISCLAIMER!!!

I am not a professional.

On 3/18/2021 at 12:48 AM, Slelsul said:

The MSI GL75 and the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GL are both interesting. However with similar set ups after looking into the processors I found that the 10th gen I7 was the better option to work with out of the two. As far as the ASUS TUF FX505DY the thing looks really nice on the website but I am not sure I want to mess with it. Regardless of upgrade it still defaults 8Gbs RAM and has A HDD instead of a SSD. Thanks for both inputs as it gives me more of an idea on what to look for as acceptable for a $1,000 laptop. I do plan to keep this tread open for more input to try and understand a wider range of options and opinions.

@SMC1989@Starkitty0985

Oh, I actually have a MSI GL75 9SDK. It has a 1660Ti, i7-9750H, 16GB DDR4 RAM, FHD 17.3" screen @ 144Hz display.

This is its timespy performance without overclocking: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/18344848

Overclocked: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/18345032

It can play games like Assassins Creed: Origins at 50-70 FPS on ultra settings. Far Cry 5 at a solid 80 FPS on ultra settings.

I personally love MSI laptops, and this one has a solid place on 3Dmark with laptops of a similar configuration. When overclocked it easily reaches the top 2% of laptops like it.

I am replacing it with a GE76 Raider, but I am still proud of my GL75, it definitely surprised me for something that was just meant as a mid range.

Laptops like this one go for about $1,000 USD now, so it should be a solid choice for you.

@Wilbur CobbThanks for the marks. I did look on the manufacturers website if I remember correctly but will look again. I am still learning so everything like this is greatly needed and appreciated greatly.

The site for Clevo though that the person above had mentioned seems like a very promising option given I can build or customize the build to include 16 or even 32 gigs of RAM which may be what I do if I go with the Clevo branded stuff.

It is quite honestly very alluring.

I will take the time to look through what you said as well. I mean I do still have time before I need to make my purchase at least.

Again thank you for your help. Actually to be very blunt and honest. Those numbers or very exiting for me. I mean very exiting. You are saying you got Creed up to 50-70fps. I have never seen even a smaller game at anything more than 10 to 25fps. I am exited. I am shaking. Thanks for that mark. I need it. Maybe I can finally game and enjoy it if that is what I can hope to see. I wonder if I am any good at FPSs or the like. Maybe I can even play War Thunder or Warframe or even PlanetSide2 at more than 5 to 15fps.

Thank you everyone. I am very exited now. I am shaking.

DISCLAIMER!!!

I am not a professional.

7 hours ago, Slelsul said:

The site for Clevo though that the person above had mentioned seems like a very promising option given I can build or customize the build to include 16 or even 32 gigs of RAM which may be what I do if I go with the Clevo branded stuff.

You don't have to worry about that so much, almost all gaming laptops have expandable memory. MSI will definitely let you swap out the ram sticks, ofcourse I know that for a fact on the GL75, but so will ASUS, Alienware, ...etc.

Maybe I can even play War Thunder or Warframe or even PlanetSide2 at more than 5 to 15fps.

On a set up like mine, you could easily get 120 or more FPS on both games at Ultra settings. Now you might find diminishing returns on titles that are very new, 2020 titles and up might have to start lowering the settings. AC: Origins was kinda the limit on an Ultra quality modern game, ofcourse not all new games will be up to the same graphical standards. It is a lower-mid range laptop after all, you can only stretch it so far for games on max settings. That being said, for $1,000 you won't be disappointed.

Besides, lowering a setting here and there as you progress up to brand new games isn't that bad, you can really make it stretch if you do that.

Those numbers or very exiting for me. I mean very exiting. You are saying you got Creed up to 50-70fps. I have never seen even a smaller game at anything more than 10 to 25fps.

Lol, keep in mind that just about any laptop with a configuration similar to mine, especially top brands like MSI, Asus & Alienware, will net you about the same performance.

You should always do a bit of research and check for glaring issues, like extreme thermal throttling. For the most part none of them should have any issues, the market is extremely competitive.