Windows 8.1 kinda broke

ImGeorge
Go to solution Solved by Karumu,

-snip-

Not to be rude but, can't you read? I clearly said I bought the download from the MS store. I don't own a physical copy.

sorry i scanned over it, basically TL;DR.

but point still applies, you can download the iso, put it on a usb, then do the repair once you boot into it

Hey, 

I've literally just updated the BIOS on my motherboard, however it has bricked my Windows installation (so I thought). 

I can boot into a fully functional Windows 8.1 via advanced boot, however leaving my computer to boot in it's previous, normal way (hitting pc power switch and leaving to boot) results in a boot error and asks to reinstall. 

My problem is Microsoft are willing to fix my 8.1 installation for a fee of 39.99GBP... b*llocks to them. Is there any way I can fix the boot error without resintalling? I bought the download from the Microsoft store so reinstalling is an issue, When speaking to Microsoft they refused to send me an 8.1 installation disc despite having my product key and payment details saved. 

All helps appreciated, 

thanks! 

you can just download the ISO from their site and install it from a usb key

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

Hey, 

I've literally just updated the BIOS on my motherboard, however it has bricked my Windows installation (so I thought). 

I can boot into a fully functional Windows 8.1 via advanced boot, however leaving my computer to boot in it's previous, normal way (hitting pc power switch and leaving to boot) results in a boot error and asks to reinstall. 

My problem is Microsoft are willing to fix my 8.1 installation for a fee of 39.99GBP... b*llocks to them. Is there any way I can fix the boot error without resintalling? I bought the download from the Microsoft store so reinstalling is an issue, When speaking to Microsoft they refused to send me an 8.1 installation disc despite having my product key and payment details saved. 

All helps appreciated, 

thanks! 

put your windows CD in and use the repair tool, should redo the installation and you keep your programs.

you can just download the ISO from their site and install it from a usb key

I'd prefer not to do a clean install.

put your windows CD in and use the repair tool, should redo the installation and you keep your programs.

Not to be rude but, can't you read? I clearly said I bought the download from the MS store. I don't own a physical copy.

It's technicaly not illegal to torrent the .iso if you have a key.

But there is a way to download it even more legally http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-download-the-official-microsoft-windows-8-1-iso/

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

-snip-

sorry i scanned over it, basically TL;DR.

but point still applies, you can download the iso, put it on a usb, then do the repair once you boot into it

Just do it.. i know its not the best thing in the world but suck it up.. you'll get rid of the problems

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS