MSI Optix MAG274QRF weird "ghosting" when playing fighting games?

Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,

I can't believe it, I found a solution !  I've been trying all day yesterday... -.-

So I put everything at default in NVCP  as far it made sense to me (still not sure about low latency mode,  but at least it doesn't seem to hurt anything,  the setting generally does nothing for me, no change in  frame times or anything)

And I already knew "night vision" in the monitor settings makes the effect much worse so I turned that off, obviously. 

But what really did it was setting it to "RTS"  (which seems to stand for Real Time Strategy lol)

NVCP:

Preferred refresh rate Application controlled

Refresh rate 120 Hz

Color depth 10bpc

RGB FULL

Gsync Compatible

Low latency mode: On

MSI Optix Monitor:

Game mode RTS

Night Vision OFF

Response time FAST

Anti motion blur OFF

Adaptive sync ON

Professional PRO MODE USER

Image enhancement WEAK

Image Brightness 80

Image Contrast 80

Image Sharpness 4

Image Color Temperature WARM 

Input DP

So far it feels really normal again,  not as good as over HDMI cable,  but it's "playable" and I see no weird ghosting. 🤔

May it help someone with similar issues/ display...

BTW of course the image looks totally awful on the desktop with these settings... washed-out,  blurry and broken lol. 

It's hard to explain and so far it only happens when playing Tekken 7, it's basically lag,  inputs seem delayed and it looks like it's running at 30 fps even though it's actually running at 60 fps,  it's pretty much unplayable therfore... 

I tried a lot of things but so far nothing really seems to fix it. 

I kinda think it's caused by adaptive sync,  but not sure. 

It's not visible in videos, weirdly,  on the same monitor, but while playing the game just appears broken,  i even reinstalled it but no change. 

Any ideas how to fix this? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

If tekken7 is the only high stress thing you do on the machine it could be a general problem that only happens when you stress the machine, but it’s really only one app it sounds like it’s specific to tekken7

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If tekken7 is the only high stress thing you do on the machine it could be a general problem that only happens when you stress the machine, but it’s really only one app it sounds like it’s specific to tekken7

It's actually one of the least demanding games I play... that isn't the issue as I said the effect is strangely not visible in videos I record... i can still see something is off, cause my inputs are all wrong but the weird stutter / ghosting effect is not visible at all... it looks clean...

And yes Tekken does some weird things,  especially with motion blur apparently,  kinda think that's what's tripping the monitor,  but it also does it when I turn motion blur off...

I mean,  I know a fix,  and that's playing over HDMI without adaptive sync - I tried that recently,  it feels amazing, but that isn't really feasible,  as since I tried that it also is tripping the Nvidia Gsync settings in general,  so basically I'd need to swap cables / restart the PC every time I want to play Tekken,  that's really not feasible imo. 

I was just wondering if there's something I can do otherwise,  like there's really ton of possible combinations in settings... ideally the monitor would have a "fighting game" setting,  but it doesn't,  even though it apparently has a setting for every other genre under the sun...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I can't believe it, I found a solution !  I've been trying all day yesterday... -.-

So I put everything at default in NVCP  as far it made sense to me (still not sure about low latency mode,  but at least it doesn't seem to hurt anything,  the setting generally does nothing for me, no change in  frame times or anything)

And I already knew "night vision" in the monitor settings makes the effect much worse so I turned that off, obviously. 

But what really did it was setting it to "RTS"  (which seems to stand for Real Time Strategy lol)

NVCP:

Preferred refresh rate Application controlled

Refresh rate 120 Hz

Color depth 10bpc

RGB FULL

Gsync Compatible

Low latency mode: On

MSI Optix Monitor:

Game mode RTS

Night Vision OFF

Response time FAST

Anti motion blur OFF

Adaptive sync ON

Professional PRO MODE USER

Image enhancement WEAK

Image Brightness 80

Image Contrast 80

Image Sharpness 4

Image Color Temperature WARM 

Input DP

So far it feels really normal again,  not as good as over HDMI cable,  but it's "playable" and I see no weird ghosting. 🤔

May it help someone with similar issues/ display...

BTW of course the image looks totally awful on the desktop with these settings... washed-out,  blurry and broken lol. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity