Xeon vs i7 | Triple Channel with 4 DIMMs

Go to solution Solved by igormp,
22 minutes ago, Blind X said:

So I am going to buy a Dell T3500 in the upcoming days with a Xeon X5687, which I think would perform more or less equal to the 2nd Gen i7 2600. As both of them were released in the same year. Have same 32nm manufacturing and roughly the same clock speeds. The only difference I found is that the Xeon has 12mb Cache instead of 8mb on the i7 but the Xeon lacks AVX instrinstructions.

That Xeon is a Westmere µArch, same as the i7-970 or 980, and should perform similar to those when it comes to single thread perf.

Sandy bridge offers better performance, about ~15% more perf in single thread, while also having AVX (which some stuff do require nowadays).

27 minutes ago, Blind X said:

Second and the more important thing is that the motherboard supports 6 RAM slots, therefore Triple Channel. I am going to have 4x4GB = 16GB total RAM @1600MHz. I want to know if it is possible for me to run Triple Channel with 4 RAM sticks?

Yes, it'll work in flex mode, as in the 12gb of RAM in triple channel will have faster bandwidth and the lone 4gb will be slower. You can also have each pair running in dual-channel as most other platforms.

18 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

The Xeon will probably win in multithread but the i7 will win in singlethread.

As for RAM, is 4 divisible by 3? No. Either you run three sticks (12GB) or spend more money and get 24GB total.

Flex mode is a thing, and those CPUs also support regular dual channel.

Hey Everyone,

Hope ya all are doing well.

So I am going to buy a Dell T3500 in the upcoming days with a Xeon X5687, which I think would perform more or less equal to the 2nd Gen i7 2600. As both of them were released in the same year. Have same 32nm manufacturing and roughly the same clock speeds. The only difference I found is that the Xeon has 12mb Cache instead of 8mb on the i7 but the Xeon lacks AVX instrinstructions.

So anybody here who could tell me if which one would be better or whether or not I would be able to see the difference in real world performance.

Second and the more important thing is that the motherboard supports 6 RAM slots, therefore Triple Channel. I am going to have 4x4GB = 16GB total RAM @1600MHz. I want to know if it is possible for me to run Triple Channel with 4 RAM sticks?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

As for RAM, is 4 divisible by 3? No. Either you run three sticks (12GB) or spend more money and get 24GB total.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

THe 2600 is based off a newer arch, and does a reasonble more per clock these days, Id get the 2600 if you can. 

Ohh.. But I just sold the i7 2600 recently and now am purchasing the Xeon System. But the situation is that my i7 with 4gb ram was sold for the same price I am getting the xeon with 16gb.

So is there any difference I would be able to notice, like in gaming or overall responsiveness of the system?

It depends on the use case, but I'd think the 2600 would be far better all round. The extra cache and ram channel probably has a smaller impact in most things than the newer architecture in the 2600, along with modern software using AVX that will help too. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

So here is the question. Is it worth it to downgrade to 12GB just to get Triple Channel and higher memory bandwidth or will the difference be to small to be noticed?

1 minute ago, Blind X said:

So here is the question. Is it worth it to downgrade to 12GB just to get Triple Channel and higher memory bandwidth or will the difference be to small to be noticed?

The difference will be quiet small. Don’t think it was worth it.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

3 minutes ago, porina said:

It depends on the use case, but I'd think the 2600 would be far better all round. The extra cache and ram channel probably has a smaller impact in most things than the newer architecture in the 2600, along with modern software using AVX that will help too. 

Thank you so much for the info..

4 minutes ago, Blind X said:

Ohh.. But I just sold the i7 2600 recently and now am purchasing the Xeon System. But the situation is that my i7 with 4gb ram was sold for the same price I am getting the xeon with 16gb.

So is there any difference I would be able to notice, like in gaming or overall responsiveness of the system?

Was this a good deal?

3 minutes ago, Blind X said:

Unless you are doing stuff that you know will greatly benefit from the bandwidth, no, not worth it.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

26 minutes ago, Blind X said:

Hey Everyone,

Hope ya all are doing well.

So anybody here who could tell me if which one would be better or whether or not I would be able to see the difference in real world performance.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

There's a pretty big difference between Westmere-EP and Sandy Bridge. Sandy has much better IPC and AVX instructions. Triple channel memory (you can run this with 4 sticks in a flex mode) will not make up for the difference. You also have the capability of running a 6-core chip on the T3500, if you really need the threads.

AVX and IPC are the most important differences. It will be noticably slower in anything single core or AVX dependent.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

22 minutes ago, Blind X said:

That Xeon is a Westmere µArch, same as the i7-970 or 980, and should perform similar to those when it comes to single thread perf.

Sandy bridge offers better performance, about ~15% more perf in single thread, while also having AVX (which some stuff do require nowadays).

27 minutes ago, Blind X said:

Yes, it'll work in flex mode, as in the 12gb of RAM in triple channel will have faster bandwidth and the lone 4gb will be slower. You can also have each pair running in dual-channel as most other platforms.

18 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Flex mode is a thing, and those CPUs also support regular dual channel.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 minute ago, svmlegacy said:

There's a pretty big difference between Westmere-EP and Sandy Bridge. Sandy has much better IPC and AVX instructions. Triple channel memory (you can run this with 4 sticks in a flex mode) will not make up for the difference. You also have the capability of running a 6-core chip on the T3500, if you really need the threads.

AVX and IPC are the most important differences. It will be noticably slower in anything single core or AVX dependent.

Thank you for your input.

I am not going to render videos on this pc or anything hardcore. The pc is going to be used for daily web browsing and gaming with occasionally recording my gameplays. 

So is there any task here that is AVX dependent and might make me feel like I have an overall slower system than before?

5 minutes ago, Blind X said:

Thank you for your input.

I am not going to render videos on this pc or anything hardcore. The pc is going to be used for daily web browsing and gaming with occasionally recording my gameplays. 

So is there any task here that is AVX dependent and might make me feel like I have an overall slower system than before?

Windows, web browsers, and a variety of games use AVX if available.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

6 minutes ago, Blind X said:

The pc is going to be used for daily web browsing and gaming with occasionally recording my gameplays. 

What software do you use to record your gameplays? If they're software-based, then it likely uses AVX and will be slower without it.

Some games and anti cheat software also require AVX, they won't even launch without it.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I get the idea guys.

It seems like the processor would be roughly 15% slower than the i7 but I hope I won't be able to notice it since I am not benchmarking them head to head.

As for the RAM, TBVH I don't have any idea about flex mode and how you do that, but for now it seems that its not worth it to downgradr my system to 12GB just for the Triple Channel for my usecase.

Am I right?

1 minute ago, Blind X said:

I get the idea guys.

It seems like the processor would be roughly 15% slower than the i7 but I hope I won't be able to notice it since I am not benchmarking them head to head.

As for the RAM, TBVH I don't have any idea about flex mode and how you do that, but for now it seems that its not worth it to downgradr my system to 12GB just for the Triple Channel for my usecase.

Am I right?

You can use all of the 16gb without worries. Leaving those at either flex mode (triple + single channel) or dual channel won't likely matter much and will be way better than running out of ram.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 minute ago, igormp said:

What software do you use to record your gameplays? If they're software-based, then it likely uses AVX and will be slower without it.

Some games and anti cheat software also require AVX, they won't even launch without it.

OBS and GeForce Experience but I think I would be going with an AMD GPU so GE is not an option.

What?? Games won't launch? I play CSGO, DOTA 2, GTA 5, FORZA HORIZON 4, CRYSIS 2, BATTLEIFELD 5 and 1, MINECRAFT XENOVERSE 2, NFS HEAT, TOMB RAIDER, WITCHER 3

Just now, Blind X said:

OBS and GeForce Experience but I think I would be going with an AMD GPU so GE is not an option.

What?? Games won't launch? I play CSGO, DOTA 2, GTA 5, FORZA HORIZON 4, CRYSIS 2, BATTLEIFELD 5 and 1, MINECRAFT XENOVERSE 2, NFS HEAT, TOMB RAIDER, WITCHER 3

OBS uses x264 underneath, which uses AVX to speed up things. AMD's encoder is not really good in terms of quality, but it's up to you to try it out and see if it's good enough for you.

I don't think any of those games require AVX. The ones I'm aware of are some ubisoft titles, Journey and Star Citizen.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

54 minutes ago, igormp said:

and those CPUs also support regular dual channel.

But OP was asking about triple channel lmfao

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

But OP was asking about triple channel lmfao

OP clearly didn't knew about other modes, and you made it look like running in triple channel was his only option when it's not the case.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 minute ago, igormp said:

OP clearly didn't knew about other modes, and you made it look like running in triple channel was his only option when it's not the case.

OP seems to have edited their post between when I commented and when you did.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

9 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

OP seems to have edited their post between when I commented and when you did.

The post was not edited.