PCIe Gen 4 vs Gen 3 nvme ssd on Gaming, Which one to choose?

andarhan
Go to solution Solved by rmgdnz,

Gen 4 drives will be useful in the future once Microsoft enables Direct Storage, but at the moment for pure gaming there's basically no difference. You could wait for a sale and buy one cheaper when Direct Storage is available.

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a new nvme ssd for my rig(5900X/3080) and can't decide on which one to choose. I only use it for gaming and only one nvme slot left(current one is 1TB SAMSUNG NVMe PCIe 3.0 970 EVO Plus).

SAMSUNG NVMe PCIe 4.0 980 PRO, 2 TB, 385€

SAMSUNG NVMe PCIe 3.0 970 EVO Plus, 2 TB 280€

Do you think the 980 PRO worth the extra 105€? Should I get another sata SSD and wait for the prices drop on 980 PRO?

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

There won't be any difference for gamaing, get the cheaper 970 evo. Even a sata ssd will be basically the same game load times.

I saw videos on internet that gen3/4 SSD are similar but not even the high end hardware makes a valid difference?

Get the 970 evo. Gen 4 is not worth the extra 100€. If you want get a larger capacity of SSD if you want to spend extra.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

Gen 4 drives will be useful in the future once Microsoft enables Direct Storage, but at the moment for pure gaming there's basically no difference. You could wait for a sale and buy one cheaper when Direct Storage is available.

15 minutes ago, rmgdnz said:

Gen 4 drives will be useful in the future once Microsoft enables Direct Storage

Games also need to make use of this new API, so the benefit is only available in games that use it, not in general.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Thanks all, I will go with another sata ssd and wait for Direct Storage and sales for pcie gen4.