Athlon x4 860k has 2 cores but hyperthreaded?

Go to solution Solved by Sakkura,

It has 4 integer cores, but only 2 FPUs. Sometimes that gets counted as 2 cores with hyperthreading, but that's inaccurate.

I have a Athlon x4 860k, OCd to 4ghz. Recently I did the steam hardware survey, and it told me that I have 2 cores, 4 threads, and hyperthreading, and task manager confirms that too. But everywhere on the web it says it has 4c 4t. So is the web or my system wrong?

It has 4 integer cores, but only 2 FPUs. Sometimes that gets counted as 2 cores with hyperthreading, but that's inaccurate.

8 minutes ago, Benji said:

And given the fact that it only has 2 FPUs even though plenty of applications use these (IIRC), labelling them as a 4C4T is also inaccurate (which is why AMD was successfully sued over that with the Bulldozer chips). So you can call them 4(*) cores because it has only two full pairs of what composes a regular core (integer and floating point) and just two additional integer cores. While the simultaneous multithreading analogy wouldn't be right either (because it isn't), it is more appropriate than saying it is a "quad-core" chip.

Traditionally, a core refers to the integer unit. FPUs weren't even part of early x86 CPUs. So from a technical perspective the judgement was wrong. But since it was about misleading consumers, you have to take into account what an average consumer knows about CPUs, and then I guess it's fair that a 4-core Bulldozer chip isn't comparable to an Intel 4-core chip.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Ah, got it. At least I will hopefully be upgrading to a R3 1200 soon. It has like 2x single core performance over this cpu. At least it has actual 4 cores and it will be OCd to like 3.7ghz.

3 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

Ah, got it. At least I will hopefully be upgrading to a R3 1200 soon. It has like 2x single core performance over this cpu. At least it has actual 4 cores and it will be OCd to like 3.7ghz.

I'm just making sure I'm understanding this - Do correct me if I'm wrong here.

If you're wanting to drop a 1200 in the same system/board the 860K is in now - Not gonna work.
860K is based on the FM2+ socket, an R3 1200 is based on the AM4 socket AND runs DDR4 vs the 860K using DDR3.

You'll need an AM4 board and DDR4 RAM to run the R3 1200 chip.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

27 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

I'm just making sure I'm understanding this - Do correct me if I'm wrong here.

If you're wanting to drop a 1200 in the same system/board the 860K is in now - Not gonna work.
860K is based on the FM2+ socket, an R3 1200 is based on the AM4 socket AND runs DDR4 vs the 860K using DDR3.

You'll need an AM4 board and DDR4 RAM to run the R3 1200 chip.

I will buy new ram, mobo, ect. and even if my current mobo had am4, it is quite bad for overclocking. My brother had the 1200 before me. He has upgraded to a 3600x.

Good to know and was worried you may have been thinking to just drop it in the socket.
I've seen it before and making sure you knew the difference.

However I'd suggest something a little more capable than the 1200, I've got one and while it's a good chip there are more capable chips that's really affordable to be found.
Even something like an R1400 would be a little better.

Pricing and availability where you are probrably isn't as it is here (US) and I know it's a "Get what you can" thing where you are BUT if possible that's what I'd do - Buy once, buy right with no buyer's remorse afterwards.

I'm currently running an x2700 here but kinda wish I'd bought the standard 2700 instead for less power consumption since it's used as my daily, I even have an x3600 I'm not using ATM.
I'd get the non-X variant to save power yet still have plenty of capability to do whatever you'd want, plus those run a little cooler too with the lesser TDP.

I do hope whatever you get will work for you.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

Good to know and was worried you may have been thinking to just drop it in the socket.
I've seen it before and making sure you knew the difference.

However I'd suggest something a little more capable than the 1200, I've got one and while it's a good chip there are more capable chips that's really affordable to be found.
Even something like an R1400 would be a little better.

Pricing and availability where you are probrably isn't as it is here (US) and I know it's a "Get what you can" thing where you are BUT if possible that's what I'd do - Buy once, buy right with no buyer's remorse afterwards.

I'm currently running an x2700 here but kinda wish I'd bought the standard 2700 instead for less power consumption since it's used as my daily, I even have an x3600 I'm not using ATM.
I'd get the non-X variant to save power yet still have plenty of capability to do whatever you'd want, plus those run a little cooler too with the lesser TDP.

I do hope whatever you get will work for you.

I already have the 1200, and it is WAYYYY better than the 860k. In cpuz it scores 200 points higher in the single core. And I am fine with the lower quality settings in games, as before this pc I had a 2013 laptop with 2c 2t at 1.8ghz, Intel HD 2500 and i upgraded it to 8gb of ram.