Return to AMD in Threadripper, productivity build for a friend, requesting advice.

Budget (including currency): Ostensibly $3000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly Productivity, Adobe suite and similar. Light gaming.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

A friend is looking for a new computer, and they're more of an arts user. I'm feeling that Threadripper will be a good fit for their needs. They're coming off of an i7-7820X. Frankly I've only recently discovered LTT and binge-watched a bunch of videos, so my brain is too inundated to remember everything, and the one factoid I'm trying to remember is the Zen2 vs Zen 3 architecture and how it relates to Threadripper? And I've been away from AMD for so long, and never built a productivity-focused machine, so any general tips (or even videos on the channel) would be welcomed. 

Can you get your hands on a 5950x? Id be tempted to get one of those instead for that budget, and use the savings to get better storage, gpu, and memory.

Does this build ned storeage, and if so, how much?

Threadripper is zen 2(for 3xxx series). There is no threadripper on zen 3 yet.

Not going to be a TON of video involved, but a healthy amount of storage is good. Can get away with a single NVMe and a 2.5"SSD of some flavor. 

The 5950x seems to compare pretty favorably at it's price, I don't hate that option at all.

1 minute ago, PlaywithGloom said:

Not going to be a TON of video involved, but a healthy amount of storage is good. Can get away with a single NVMe and a 2.5"SSD of some flavor. 

The 5950x seems to compare pretty favorably at it's price, I don't hate that option at all.

Id probably go all  nvme here, cause why not, its basically the same price as sata ssds.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably go all  nvme here, cause why not, its basically the same price as sata ssds.

Agreed. sn550s are cheap as sata and fast

15 minutes ago, PlaywithGloom said:

Budget (including currency): Ostensibly $3000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly Productivity, Adobe suite and similar. Light gaming.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

A friend is looking for a new computer, and they're more of an arts user. I'm feeling that Threadripper will be a good fit for their needs. They're coming off of an i7-7820X. Frankly I've only recently discovered LTT and binge-watched a bunch of videos, so my brain is too inundated to remember everything, and the one factoid I'm trying to remember is the Zen2 vs Zen 3 architecture and how it relates to Threadripper? And I've been away from AMD for so long, and never built a productivity-focused machine, so any general tips (or even videos on the channel) would be welcomed. 

You'd be extremely hard-pressed to build a current-gen threadripper system for $3000. $4000-$4500 is a whole different story, but a $3000 might not even be able to accommodate a 3960x and 5600xt with 32gb of ram and an arctic 50. 

Hmm, I'm not super sure what GPU they'd want or if they're willing to wait a few months or set up a bot, but something like this would be my recommendation. Ironwolf pro's totally aren't required, they're pretty good NAS drives, but they're a little pricey and I don't really know how much storage they need.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

You'd be extremely hard-pressed to build a current-gen threadripper system for $3000. $4000-$4500 is a whole different story, but a $3000 might not even be able to accommodate a 3960x and 5600xt with 32gb of ram and an arctic 50. 

Hmm, I'm not super sure what GPU they'd want or if they're willing to wait a few months or set up a bot, but something like this would be my recommendation. Ironwolf pro's totally aren't required, they're pretty good NAS drives, but they're a little pricey and I don't really know how much storage they need.

I like a lot of this, I appreciate the recommendations. I hadn't realized NVMe had gotten so cheap.