How do I add more ethernet ports to my router?

Sorenson

I’m looking at gettin a cheap network switch to add some more ethernet net ports to my router. Is there anything I need to take into consideration when selecting the network switch? 

Why? I’m out of ethernet ports and want to run a wired connection to my iPad so I get more reliable connection quality when I’m streaming games from my pc.  

ANY cheap 1gbps switch will do. My switch is a 10 year old TP-Link i bought for $15.

IPAD has lan port?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

18 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

I’m looking at gettin a cheap network switch to add some more ethernet net ports to my router. Is there anything I need to take into consideration when selecting the network switch? 

Why? I’m out of ethernet ports and want to run a wired connection to my iPad so I get more reliable connection quality when I’m streaming games from my pc.  

I’ll recommend the netgear ones. They’ve always worked well for me. I will warn that network switches are very vulnerable to lightning strikes/power surges, so make sure you always have them plugged into a good surge protector as they like to burn out Ethernet ports on your pc as well. 

Build:                                                                          

Intel Core I7 6700k (clocked to 4.6ghz)

Patriot Viper 3000mhz ddr4

ASUS maximus 8 hero (I hate this mobo)

Evga gtx 1080 superclocked

250GB Samsung 850 evo

2tb WD Black 7200rpm

Ek watercooling kit a240g with 360 expansion pack

Primochill Vue Red fluid

Corsair Graphite 600t (white)

You thought "Gee, Donald Trump sure has a great build!"

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

ANY cheap 1gbps switch will do. My switch is a 10 year old TP-Link i bought for $15.

IPAD has lan port?

ipad pro has a USB C connection and I have a spare USB C ethernet adapter. Fortunately apple allows you to wire it up with ethernet if you want 🙂 

ok i didn't know that.

get the cheapest one, i suggest TP-Link, they all work the same, probably have the same chip inside.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w