Should Air cooler still be using molex?

Tazz 316

I picked up a Hyper 212 RGB BE and it uses a molex connector to power the RGB.

Is it just me or is molex so dated and sata power should be used instead?

Thinking about forgetting about RGB as it adds a mess of extra wires.

many things still use Molex. Many of the D5 pumps out there still use molex for power. Not uncommon as you think. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

It's an older standard, but it still works perfectly fine. The RGB lighting on the Hyper 212 is pretty underwhelming, but plug it in and see what you think.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

It's an older standard, but it still works perfectly fine. The RGB lighting on the Hyper 212 is pretty underwhelming, but plug it in and see what you think.

I've used corsair in the past and cooler master rgb connecion seems kinda weak.

It's definitely older, but it works, and it's still somewhat common. I don't see it as a problem. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

The Hyper 212 Black Edition RGB does not use Molex for its RGB. It comes with an SF120R fan which uses a normal 4-pin (12V) RGB cable.

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/case-fan/masterfan-sf120r-rgb/

I don't know what this thread is about. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

21 hours ago, Middcore said:

The Hyper 212 Black Edition RGB does not use Molex for its RGB. It comes with an SF120R fan which uses a normal 4-pin (12V) RGB cable.

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/case-fan/masterfan-sf120r-rgb/

I don't know what this thread is about. 

Umm it's in the pic of listed parts. It's used to power the little rgb control.

The fan by it self does not come with it that you linked.

That is what it is about.

a.jpg

Is that a nickel plated cold plate?

Fancy... my 212 Evo didn't look like that.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

10 hours ago, freeagent said:

Is that a nickel plated cold plate?

Fancy... my 212 Evo didn't look like that.

The MB back plate?

It's a nice setup i just ended up getting the one without RGB which comes without the molex to power the little control box.

To many wires!

On 3/12/2021 at 3:35 AM, Tazz 316 said:

Umm it's in the pic of listed parts. It's used to power the little rgb control.

The fan by it self does not come with it that you linked.

That is what it is about.

a.jpg

Yes and no. That adapter does have molex, true. But it also has SATA and powers the included controller. The 212 RGB BE is somewhat entry level cooler, and CoolerMaster is major dealer in those areas which do not enjoy the best hardware availability. So its more likely that someone buying this is rocking older PSU, has all their SATA connectors used and would have available molex connectors.

https://coolermaster.egnyte.com/dl/PYtOaf3NPO/?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv