Rmx 2015 vs 2018

Rainbrew

So while researching power supplies i refreshed one of the stores I buy components from and noticed that the RM750x is on sale for 30% off (I planned on getting an rm750 anyways). I'm just curious how i can tell which version of the RMx I got? I'm keeping the power supply anyways regardless of what year it is because the deal was insanely good and the website is legit so I'm certain it's not a scam or anything.

I think one way to check it is the EAN number.

For example for the RM550x:

2015 model: 0843591050555, 8435910505550

2018 model: 0843591034562

Generally, stores these days only should have the 2018 model in stock, which is already 3 years old. The 2015 one is not sold anymore, at least in my country.

What was the deal actually? Kind of curious

11 minutes ago, FRD said:

I think one way to check it is the EAN number.

For example for the RM550x:

2015 model: 0843591050555, 8435910505550

2018 model: 0843591034562

Generally, stores these days only should have the 2018 model in stock, which is already 3 years old. The 2015 one is not sold anymore, at least in my country.

What was the deal actually? Kind of curious

The EAN code is a bit different but according to a code checking website it's the 2018 model! Didn't even know these codes were a thing. Also coming from only having interacted with a cheap 600w and decent 550w this thing is extremely heavy. The deal was 30% off and they sold all 20 they had in stock in an hour or so. This ended up costing me less than an rm750 would!

The easiest way is to just look at them. The 2015 is 18 cm long, the 2018 version is 16 cm long

:)

22 hours ago, Rainbrew said:

The EAN code is a bit different but according to a code checking website it's the 2018 model! Didn't even know these codes were a thing. Also coming from only having interacted with a cheap 600w and decent 550w this thing is extremely heavy. The deal was 30% off and they sold all 20 they had in stock in an hour or so. This ended up costing me less than an rm750 would!

That's a nice deal for those. EAN codes are a good way to check if the product or maybe product description matches the actual product. I use it all the time, especially on sites where information gets mixed up (looking at you, Amazon).
The RMx series have been on sale a few times in 2020, but much less in 2021, because of the rising demand. It's a bit sad that the RMx used to be much cheaper, but at MSRP they are good for the money.

I know right how you can already feel the quality in weight from a good PSU over a cheap PSU.