7700K upgrade right now?

Go to solution Solved by Semper,
1 hour ago, MightyMishka said:

Yeah, but it could be some future-proofing before he actually needs it.

"future proofing before you need it" is something of a paradox and/or oxymoron.
"future proofing" as a concept does not exist. This thought process and belief needs to be forgotten. There is the outdated technology of yesteryear, the technology that we have today, and the technology coming in the future. Technologies that you won't see for years to come are currently in many different developmental stages.
Generational changes are usually improvements and or evolution that will pave the way for improvements. Doing something "before you need it" inherently means that when you do need it, it won't be up-to-date, in most situations.

2 hours ago, Prithee said:

Okay so basically I have issues watching streaming services (Twitch in this case) when I'm gaming, and I assume that's because of the cpu not handling that very well?

It's a bit about spending money just because too I'd say, I game at 1440p nowadays so it's not vital to get a new cpu for that performance gain, might've misphrased it by saying "need".

In some situations, such as games that hammer your CPU hard, this might be the situation, however I find it unlikely to be the case in most situations. My 4790k is still competent enough to do both at 1440p simultaneously with very little issue.
By the numbers, upgrading to a current generation system is going to have the most impact on my 1% lows, with shockingly little improvement to average FPS, in the context of how "old" my 4'th gen chip is. You're three generations newer than I am, meaning that gap will be even tighter for you.

It's your money, and I have no right to tell you how to spend it. It's my belief that you're just going to lighten you wallet by a solid $800 and be underwhelmed with the performance gain that you get for the money spent, particularly given the strain on semiconductor manufacturing and widespread shortages that we're seeing on everything right now.

Hello, I'm new to this forum but I basically would just like to have some input whether I should upgrade my cpu from the 7700K to a new, let's say AMD cpu.

My rig right now consists of:

Z270 gaming pro carbon

2070 super gaming Z trio

32gb 3200Mhz ram

750W 80+gold psu

Any input would be appreciated!

The CPU might become a bottleneck soon. If you were to upgrade, how much money are you willing to spend?

haha broskie like dab my guy

Is your system underperforming in some metric that you need it?

If not, you're spending money for the sake of spending money.

I don't see a need to upgrade from a 7700k from a gaming perspective at this point. You're going to be investing a good bit for what's realistically not going to be a meaningful performance gain.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

1 minute ago, Semper said:

I don't see a need to upgrade from a 7700k from a gaming perspective at this point. You're going to be investing a good bit for what's realistically not going to be a meaningful performance gain.

haha broskie like dab my guy

3 minutes ago, Semper said:

Okay so basically I have issues watching streaming services (Twitch in this case) when I'm gaming, and I assume that's because of the cpu not handling that very well?

It's a bit about spending money just because too I'd say, I game at 1440p nowadays so it's not vital to get a new cpu for that performance gain, might've misphrased it by saying "need".

1 hour ago, MightyMishka said:

"future proofing" as a concept does not exist. This thought process and belief needs to be forgotten. There is the outdated technology of yesteryear, the technology that we have today, and the technology coming in the future. Technologies that you won't see for years to come are currently in many different developmental stages.
Generational changes are usually improvements and or evolution that will pave the way for improvements. Doing something "before you need it" inherently means that when you do need it, it won't be up-to-date, in most situations.

In some situations, such as games that hammer your CPU hard, this might be the situation, however I find it unlikely to be the case in most situations. My 4790k is still competent enough to do both at 1440p simultaneously with very little issue.
By the numbers, upgrading to a current generation system is going to have the most impact on my 1% lows, with shockingly little improvement to average FPS, in the context of how "old" my 4'th gen chip is. You're three generations newer than I am, meaning that gap will be even tighter for you.

It's your money, and I have no right to tell you how to spend it. It's my belief that you're just going to lighten you wallet by a solid $800 and be underwhelmed with the performance gain that you get for the money spent, particularly given the strain on semiconductor manufacturing and widespread shortages that we're seeing on everything right now.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

5 minutes ago, Semper said:

I actually came to terms with the fact that the gain would be disappointing and underwhelming, from what I would get out of it after watching some benchmark the 7700K surely is enough even today for regular gaming.

It's most likely me going "oh I'm this much behind now, maybe time for upgrade...?" and that my streams freezes during gameplay and streaming keeps happening just further feeds that thought process.

The hope would be that it would benefit in some way or another that I might not have thought about but I don't think that's the case 😕

Even though it's my own money I appreciate any kind of input from any source, and your comments have surely been a huge contribution to, probably, make me think more than twice about spending it!

The 7700k is still a good processor, it is near its end but can still handle most cases now.

I did upgrade my 7700k to the Ryzen 5 5600x

Whats the resale value of the 7700k in your area

In the UK i sold mine for £200 - so the CPu upgrade only cost me £80

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

7 hours ago, shaz2sxy said:

The 7700k is still a good processor, it is near its end but can still handle most cases now.

I did upgrade my 7700k to the Ryzen 5 5600x

Whats the resale value of the 7700k in your area

In the UK i sold mine for £200 - so the CPu upgrade only cost me £80

So here in Sweden I think it could go for slightly below 200€, that would make the upgrade to be 130€ ish

So here in Sweden I think it could go for slightly below 200€, that would make the upgrade to be 130€ ish

so all you would need is a CPU and Motherboard

even your motherboard sells for around £100 in the UK

so around 200eu for a good upgrade isnt too bad

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

10 hours ago, shaz2sxy said:

so all you would need is a CPU and Motherboard

even your motherboard sells for around £100 in the UK

so around 200eu for a good upgrade isnt too bad

Yeah I would most likely go for it asap if I could, though in my area it's a bit hard to find someone who wants to buy pc parts 

Which is why I'm so hesitant because I need to be sure to get rid of the old stuff 😕

Hmm it all depends on what you do with your PC.

You could ofc go with 3600X which is great for gaming and B450 good board,but 2 extra cores won't give you much of improvement.

If for gaming 7700K is still capable of great gaming particulary at 1440p where GPU is more important then CPU.

2070 Super is not really 1440P card,I mean it is when you lower details a bit.

Well as for streaming+gaming I'm not so sure if 7700k is enough fot that multitasking.

As I said extra cores come in handy if you do renedering,encoding,video etc...otherwise just loss of money.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

2 hours ago, frozensun said:

Hmm it all depends on what you do with your PC.

You could ofc go with 3600X which is great for gaming and B450 good board,but 2 extra cores won't give you much of improvement.

If for gaming 7700K is still capable of great gaming particulary at 1440p where GPU is more important then CPU.

2070 Super is not really 1440P card,I mean it is when you lower details a bit.

Well as for streaming+gaming I'm not so sure if 7700k is enough fot that multitasking.

As I said extra cores come in handy if you do renedering,encoding,video etc...otherwise just loss of money.

Considering I built my system late 2017 (but had a GTX 1080, gamed at 1080p and had less RAM back then), it's not outdated when it comes to gaming, I'm pretty sure of that.

At this point it's more about a feeling for a refresh than needing one that brings increase to performance, but my 7700K doesn't like multitasking so getting something with more cores would benefit *that* atleast I guess.

It's a money toss, so I'm currently looking around for potential buyers of my old parts, makes the toss of that money less impacting...

Depends on your needs but:

5900x

msi unify x570

Keep the rest 

When Gpus are not crazy prices 6800xt or 3080 

On 3/10/2021 at 3:12 AM, Prithee said:

Hello, I'm new to this forum but I basically would just like to have some input whether I should upgrade my cpu from the 7700K to a new, let's say AMD cpu.

My rig right now consists of:

Z270 gaming pro carbon

2070 super gaming Z trio

32gb 3200Mhz ram

750W 80+gold psu

Any input would be appreciated!

I was having issues with my 9900k and ended up returning it; I stepped back into my z270/7700k which I delid'd and run at 5.1 -  That being said, I see ZERO performance issues with all the games I play, and the FPS difference has no effect on playability or anything. I upgraded because I like to own the new stuff, until the new stuff sucks.  Holding out on the 12900k to get the ddr5 .

Keep trying to sign this stupid screen but it wont work...