Assistance Please - Config Choices and Missing Component Options

NardsIsh
On 3/8/2021 at 5:24 PM, NardsIsh said:

Hi

I am still trying to get all the components right for my son’s build, and I have most that I am pretty confident but would really appreciate it if someone could not only double check the components I have selected and if possible, please assist with the ones I am stumped on?

I’m pretty set on #1-6 (but I always happy if anyone has recommendations for alternatives), and I know some may be “over-kill” but they are on sale so I thought “why not?”

1. Case – Cougar Conquer 2 -with Onboard lighting system Trelux lighting with Addressable RGB LEDS  (A MUST although instructions say "one area for vertical GPU mounting" can my choice of GPU be vertically mounted?)

2. AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7Ghz 12 Core 24 Thread AM4 (A MUST)

3. Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT NITRO+ SE 16GB GDDR6 (A MUST)

4. Corsair 32GB (2×16GB) DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro SL C18 3600Mhz

5. Corsair HX1000 1000W 80PLUS Platinum Modular Power Supply (on sale)

6. Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD

I really need recommendations please for the following components:-

• Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi or Rog Strix X570-E Gaming (on sale) Need HDMI as I will be using an Elgato HD60S+ with the PC

• Sleeved Cables (do I need these?)

• CPU Cooler

• Fans

Instructions with the case say that the case can support the following:
Max CPU Cooler Height 150mm

Water Cooling Support:-
Front 240mm/120mm
Top 360mm/240mm/120mm

Fan Support:-
Front 120mm x 2 + 120mm x 1 (preinstalled Cougar ARGB fan)
Top 120mm x3

Now my ignorant questions lol Should I keep Cooler/Fans all the “Cougar” brand ie for the sync lighting or does it not matter? Or should they or match the PSU brand and or Motherboard brand etc?

Also do I make the RAM Non-RGB? Or again does that not matter?

Sincerest apologies but my son threw a curve ball at me with this one and we have gone from “no lights” to Lights R Us

Also just confuse my decisions even further, can anyone please advise as to whether the following configs are better than my choices?

#1 $3,499
Ryzen 9 5900X
AsRock X570 Taichi
G.Skill Royal 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz (Diamond Silver)
AsRock RX 6800XT Taichi OC

#2 $4,099
Ryzen 9 5950X
AsRock X570 Taichi
G.Skill Royal 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz (Diamond Silver)
AsRock RX 6900 XT 16GB OC

This is a perfect build for a kid if you want to treat him/her without breaking the bank. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/w94vQD

1 hour ago, tire said:

I’d go with the strix model of the 3080, it is s e x y got some r g b and some silence, but it is triple 8 pin, so 1000 watt is good and go with titanium 

😂  

I just realised I initially wrote the wrong name for GPU I decided on. It was the Strix (not TUFF)

So YAY...am glad we are on the same wave length....or that I'm on the right track....

Not 100% if it's the best idea, but my son and I are going to video us doing the build and also definitely post photos, as we figured it's fair to have put you and or anyone else through my questions on our journey and then not also share the experience and or see the completed build

🤪

19 hours ago, davemc said:

Sleeved cables are not necessary, but have a hugely positive impact on the theme and looks of a PC.

A new CPU Cooler is needed as the 5900X does not come with a stock cooler. The cooler you need will depend on whether your son plans on overclocking. Does he?

And fans, personally I would recommend Noctua for noise and performance and Corsair or cooler master for looks.

Hi Many thanks for your assistance, I have however finally decided on my components 

Case:

Cougar Conquer 2

Motherboard

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

CPU

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU

Asus RTX 3080 Strix Gaming OC

Coolers

Cougar Helor 360 RGB AIO

&

Cougar Helor 240 RGB AIO

Memory

G.Skill Trident Z Neo RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz DDR4
F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

SSD

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Gen 4.0 x4

HDD

Western Digital WD6003FZBX WD Black 6TB 3.5" HDD SATA 6gb/s 7200RPM 256MB Cache

PSU 

1000 Watt Corsair AX1000 Titanium Modular Power Supply CP-9020152-AU

On 3/25/2021 at 9:13 PM, NardsIsh said:

Thank you so much... I am really stressed about getting the wrong components. I know that it is going to be a bugger to keep clean but my son’s mind (which I tried changing and thought I’d succeeded but sadly not) is 100% set on this as the case.

I read the spec on a Amazon Australia review from someone who purchased the case (see attached) this worries me even more as Cougar has made no mention of these discrepancies and or in their description so what else may or may not fit

3 minutes ago, NardsIsh said:

Coolers

Cougar Helor 360 RGB AIO

&

Cougar Helor 240 RGB AIO

What will the second cooler be used for? The gpu?

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, davemc said:

What will the second cooler be used for? The gpu?

Hi

I'm glad you asked (as not 100% on the choice)

But the GPU & Case Cooling the Instructions with the case say that the case can support the following

Top either 360mm/240mm AIO or 120mm x3

and 

Front 240mm/120mm AIO or 120mm x 2 + 120mm x 1 (preinstalled Cougar ARGB fan)

So, I went with AIO (thought may make it cooler and also easier choice as then I'd have to choose fans too)

1 hour ago, NardsIsh said:

😂  

I just realised I initially wrote the wrong name for GPU I decided on. It was the Strix (not TUFF)

So YAY...am glad we are on the same wave length....or that I'm on the right track....

Not 100% if it's the best idea, but my son and I are going to video us doing the build and also definitely post photos, as we figured it's fair to have put you and or anyone else through my questions on our journey and then not also share the experience and or see the completed build

🤪

I will love to see the finished computer!

Good luck!

cheers

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

4 hours ago, tire said:

I will love to see the finished computer!

Good luck!

cheers

Hi Tire 👋

BaHaHa.....and just when you thought you were off the hook...🤣

I'm really sorry to bother you again but I need your help again 🙏  

1. Someone has questioned why I am installing a 360mm AIO to the top and a 240mm AIO to the front. So ultimately, it has me questioning my decision.....Should I not be doing this? Should I be installing only the 360mm AIO to the top and then installing 2x more 120mm (to join the 1x 120mm pre-installed Cougar fan) at the front of the case?
  2. I forgot to ask, and apologies again if it is an ignorant question, but do I need to worry about purchasing thermal paste? If so, may I please ask which brand is good and "user" friendly?
  3. Another thing, I came across another Cougar build and in their build specs they included the following items and I was wanting to know whether I too required these items:-
  • Cable Extensions – Lian-Li STRIMER PLUS 24 Pins
  • Cable Extensions – LIAN LI STRIMER PLUS 8 Pins  
  • CableMod Pro Sleeved Cables

Oh, and not sure if it is a good decision, but I swapped out the WD Black HDD for a Toshiba X300 8TB Performance & Gaming 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive – CMR SATA 6 GB/s 7200 RPM 256 MB Cache - HDWR180XZSTA?

I did so, as every review before looking at hitting that "buy now" button said that they were really loud drives....and I then saw that reviews said that Toshiba was one of the "quieter" options.... Thoughts?

🤔

On 3/8/2021 at 5:43 PM, Longshot said:

in terms of streaming i do believe the NVIDIA GPU's do a better job than amd, though im not 100% on that

I think you are thinking of the sweet nvenc encoder Linus always speaks so finely of.

44 minutes ago, NardsIsh said:

Hi Tire 👋

BaHaHa.....and just when you thought you were off the hook...🤣

I'm really sorry to bother you again but I need your help again 🙏  

1. Someone has questioned why I am installing a 360mm AIO to the top and a 240mm AIO to the front. So ultimately, it has me questioning my decision.....Should I not be doing this? Should I be installing only the 360mm AIO to the top and then installing 2x more 120mm (to join the 1x 120mm pre-installed Cougar fan) at the front of the case?
  2. I forgot to ask, and apologies again if it is an ignorant question, but do I need to worry about purchasing thermal paste? If so, may I please ask which brand is good and "user" friendly?
  3. Another thing, I came across another Cougar build and in their build specs they included the following items and I was wanting to know whether I too required these items:-
  • Cable Extensions – Lian-Li STRIMER PLUS 24 Pins
  • Cable Extensions – LIAN LI STRIMER PLUS 8 Pins  
  • CableMod Pro Sleeved Cables

Oh, and not sure if it is a good decision, but I swapped out the WD Black HDD for a Toshiba X300 8TB Performance & Gaming 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive – CMR SATA 6 GB/s 7200 RPM 256 MB Cache - HDWR180XZSTA?

I did so, as every review before looking at hitting that "buy now" button said that they were really loud drives....and I then saw that reviews said that Toshiba was one of the "quieter" options.... Thoughts?

🤔

Just do the 360 and do 2 120mm fans, go with thermal grizzly thermal paste, I mean, the strimer rgb cables will definitely spice up the look of the pc, cable mod extensions are fine, just you need a color scheme, but their fine, get the seagate firecuda hard drives, they have a 140mbs read write, so it’s better then normal hard drives

7 hours ago, tire said:

Just do the 360 and do 2 120mm fans, go with thermal grizzly thermal paste, I mean, the strimer rgb cables will definitely spice up the look of the pc, cable mod extensions are fine, just you need a color scheme, but their fine, get the seagate firecuda hard drives, they have a 140mbs read write, so it’s better then normal hard drives

Is it more efficient and quieter with the combo AIO and Fans?  Or are you basing on cost? As there isn't much difference there.

plus you know you’re gonna have to help me choose the fans 😉😂

I have been reading more and have “gone back to black” lol

am going with the Western Digital Black WD6001FZWX 6TB 

so please ignore my waffle post after this as I’m not sure how I double me response anyway 🤪

2 hours ago, JohnDeereBro said:

I think you are thinking of the sweet nvenc encoder Linus always speaks so finely of.

That would sweetie but I thank you as that part of my build really has been niggling at me 🤪

On 3/28/2021 at 12:49 PM, NardsIsh said:

All good Asus helped me out...

13 hours ago, NardsIsh said:

Is it more efficient and quieter with the combo AIO and Fans?  Or are you basing on cost? As there isn't much difference there.

plus you know you’re gonna have to help me choose the fans 😉😂

I have been reading more and have “gone back to black” lol

am going with the Western Digital Black WD6001FZWX 6TB 

so please ignore my waffle post after this as I’m not sure how I double me response anyway 🤪

You could do the ek rgb radiator fans, they are made for a full water cooling setup, but they will work well with an aio

But do mount at a vertical angle or they will fail

On 3/29/2021 at 2:22 AM, tire said:

But do mount at a vertical angle or they will fail

All good I stuck with Cougar as ASUS said it was compatible.

I have a question re RAM if I may please?

Looking at either the #1 F4-3600C16D-32GTZN or the #2 F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

#1 CL 16-16-16-36

#2 CL 16-19-19-39

I know the #1 is faster but would it make that much difference?

Also do I want UDIMM, DIMM, SDIMM etc?

15 hours ago, NardsIsh said:

All good I stuck with Cougar as ASUS said it was compatible.

I have a question re RAM if I may please?

Looking at either the #1 F4-3600C16D-32GTZN or the #2 F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

#1 CL 16-16-16-36

#2 CL 16-19-19-39

I know the #1 is faster but would it make that much difference?

Also do I want UDIMM, DIMM, SDIMM etc?

Go with the 16-16-16-36, as ryzen does love faster ram, udimm is for desktop, sdimm is for laptops, so it’s udimm