Crackling sounds coming from my PSU

Vlaad

My brand new PC started making noises while playing Battlefield 1. A short while after I closed the game they stopped. However, the next day the sounds started again while gaming. They seem to come from the power supply, an Aerocool AE-550W. I have an AMD Ryzen 3500X and a GTX 1660S, if that matters - both don't exceed 70% usage in Battlefield 1.

Are those sounds anything to worry about?

crackling 2.m4a

Sound file won’t run on iPhone with firefox.  Might just be iPhone or firefox

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, Vlaad said:

My brand new PC started making noises while playing Battlefield 1. A short while after I closed the game they stopped. However, the next day the sounds started again while gaming. They seem to come from the power supply, an Aerocool AE-550W. I have an AMD Ryzen 3500X and a GTX 1660S, if that matters - both don't exceed 70% usage in Battlefield 1.

Are those sounds anything to worry about?

crackling 2.m4a 336.41 kB · 4 downloads

For me it sounds like a bad fan.

10 minutes ago, Vlaad said:

noises

At first I thought you were describing electrical shorts.

That sounds like a fan with the blades hitting something.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

Just now, wONKEyeYEs said:

At first I thought you were describing electrical shorts.

That sounds like a fan with the blades hitting something.

Yeah, I was thinking a bad fan or it hitting something

My first thought is that the fan is scraping on something in the power supply. You could try to look at the PSU's fan if you can. However, I have also experienced similar sounds from a couple of my own units which are not fan related. I am still not sure what the clicking sound from my previous units was, but was confident it was electrical.

The fan would only ramp up while gaming, but an electrical issue could also be load-dependent. The easiest thing to do now would be to make sure the fan is not being blocked.

If you're sure it's not the fan, I would RMA the unit as, to my knowledge, it's not the most known brand.

Technology advances at such a smooth rate as to render us unaware of major leaps forward. It is only when we look back on our memories that we see the true majesty of the world we have created.

I'd say a fan going bad (its rattling in the bearing), scraping on something doesn't usually sound like that.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

It sounds like a bad Bearing in the fan motor that cuase the fan to wiggle around then it will scrape ageist things but a bad bearing it’s self will make a sound like that as well also just get a fixed before it gets bad we’re the bearings will wear out the fan and the motor will have more stress on it it could break and decrease the the air flow in the psu

that will cuase it to over heat and if the psu doesn’t have a auto shut off that makes it turn off when it’s over heating it could make it explode,catch fire or make the capacitors to pop and that will make most of the electronics in the system to break if they don’t have safety protocols for that.

7 minutes ago, Lucasgrady12 said:

It sounds like a bad Bearing in the fan motor that cuase the fan to wiggle around then it will scrape ageist things but a bad bearing it’s self will make a sound like that as well also just get a fixed before it gets bad we’re the bearings will wear out the fan and the motor will have more stress on it it could break and decrease the the air flow in the psu

that will cuase it to over heat and if the psu doesn’t have a auto shut off that makes it turn off when it’s over heating it could make it explode,catch fire or make the capacitors to pop and that will make most of the electronics in the system to break if they don’t have safety protocols for that.

In my experience it will annoyingly loud long before that becomes a problem.  Although even a quiet rattle like this would drive me insane.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Same if a hear a little bit of a clicking sound that u have be completely silent to hear will drive me insane 

Thanks for the quick replies! Since the fan of my power supply is also spinning when idling, wouldn't it make the sound all the time if the issue is a bad bearing or my fan hitting somehing?

2 minutes ago, Vlaad said:

Thanks for the quick replies! Since the fan of my power supply is also spinning when idling, wouldn't it make the sound all the time if the issue is a bad bearing or my fan hitting somehing?

Depends on how much noise it makes.  Can you hear it?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends on how much noise it makes.  Can you hear it?

No, the noise only starts when I play games, about half an hour in, usually. While surfing the web etc. there's absolutely no noise.

4 minutes ago, Vlaad said:

No, the noise only starts when I play games, about half an hour in, usually. While surfing the web etc. there's absolutely no noise.

If it is an electrical issue, it might not necessarily be a cause for concern. I have had two power supplies that make noises like this and the computers they are supplying are still running to this day.

You could try contacting the manufacturer to see if they'd offer a replacement or know anything about this problem with their unit.

Technology advances at such a smooth rate as to render us unaware of major leaps forward. It is only when we look back on our memories that we see the true majesty of the world we have created.

12 minutes ago, xyro27 said:

If it is an electrical issue, it might not necessarily be a cause for concern. I have had two power supplies that make noises like this and the computers they are supplying are still running to this day.

You could try contacting the manufacturer to see if they'd offer a replacement or know anything about this problem with their unit.

Ok, I will ignore the sounds for now and hope it's harmless.

Thanks to everybody who took the time to answer! Much appreciated!

1 hour ago, Vlaad said:

Was a brain fart anyway.  All that stuff was about desktop 11xxx