best sub 100$ router.

narrdarr

so I have an rac2v2s router from charter. it is terrible. i wont waste your time on the details. 

I also have an r6300 in storage that I can get, but i was think of getting something newer if its worth it. 

devices for 5ghz

nvidia shield

2x PC

2x 4k TV

devices on 2.4ghz

3x phone

tablet

surface pro

xbox one

printer 

I have looked at a few but before I buy, I want to see your guys thoughts.

thanks

7 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

mikrotik rb2011uias-in?

spacer.png

i have the rackmounted version of this and for home use it's a beast.

the model number you gave me is for the the one with no wifi. I looked at another but it only has 2.4 ghz band aka no 5ghz

On 3/8/2021 at 5:10 AM, narrdarr said:

r6300

WiFi 5 or wireless AC is fine for the most part. Id try the router you currently have before buying one. As the only reason to upgrade currently is to go to WiFi 6 or 6E, which I doubt you will find too many options for under $100. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

WiFi 5 or wireless AC is fine for the most part. Id try the router you currently have before buying one. As the only reason to upgrade currently is to go to WiFi 6 or 6E, which I doubt you will find too many options for under $100. 

just really want to get the most out my nvidia shield and game stream. yes i know wired CAT 6 would be best, but i feel that it defeats the propose of the shield unless your going longer distances.  there are WIFI 6 router for 150$. but the Shield is only a/c anyways. How important MIMO for something like the shield ? the R6300 has MU-MIMO. 

6 hours ago, narrdarr said:

just really want to get the most out my nvidia shield and game stream. yes i know wired CAT 6 would be best, but i feel that it defeats the propose of the shield unless your going longer distances.

Id disagree. The point of Ethernet is a more stable and consistent experience. WiFi is just easier. Id go wired if you can. 

6 hours ago, narrdarr said:

How important MIMO for something like the shield ? the R6300 has MU-MIMO. 

From my understanding it doesnt make the connection faster. It really helps when you have many devices on the network. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Id disagree. The point of Ethernet is a more stable and consistent experience. WiFi is just easier. Id go wired if you can. 

I feel you. I do. but being that the PCs are in the same room as the shield. I could just run a hdmi cable  from the PC to the TV and save 200$. would lose the upscaling being handled by the shield but... 

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

From my understanding it doesnt make the connection faster. It really helps when you have many devices on the network. 

that's my understanding too. also allows for simultaneous up and down talk to and from device better.