Which Switch Tester Should I Buy?

Go to solution Solved by kelvinhall05,

Switch testers in general are a waste of money. I wouldn't bother.

Get a hotswap board that fits your budget and several switch types to try in it.

I am starting to look into building a custom keyboard and right now I am looking at all the switch possibilities. I am currently using a logitech g613 with romer g switches and I think I want to go to a more clicky switch but I have a feeling it may be too loud. So, I am looking at switch testers. I have found a bunch of testers with popular switches but also a few gigantic ones with all kinds of possibilities. I am thinking of getting one of these big ones not just to see all the switches but also because I think it would be a cool thing to have around. So far I have found 3 possibilities:

72 Switches from KBDFANS $60

130 Switches from KPRepublic $60

81 Switches from KPRepublic $40

So my questions are:

Should I buy a switch tester like these in the first place or is it a waste of money and the small ones are good enough?

If it is a good idea to get a big tester, which (if any) of these would be best? The 72 switch one is as expensive as the 130 switch but seems to be higher quality.

Lastly, do any of these sellers have high shipping costs or other fees that may make them bad choices? I am located in the US.

Thanks in advance!

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Switch testers in general are a waste of money. I wouldn't bother.

Get a hotswap board that fits your budget and several switch types to try in it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Personally I'd just do a lot of research and buy the switch based on sound samples and reviews/opinions. If you're looking for clicky, I've heard good things about the Kailh box switches. They use a click bar instead of the cherry style click jacket. They're much more crisp. I'm currently waiting for some box pinks to arrive so I can put them in a keyboard that won't ship until summer.......

If you do want to get a switch tester and plan on picking a clicky switch, get a small tester with hailh box clicky switches. Make sure it at least has whites, jades, and navies.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

11 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Are popular switches hotswappable? I was under the impression that they were either special switches you could hotswap or you would have to solder them.

Are there any disadvantages to going hotswappable instead of soldering them?

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

4 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Are popular switches hotswappable? I was under the impression that they were either special switches you could hotswap or you would have to solder them.

If you are willing to solder and desolder a whole keyboard at a time just to find switches you like, go with solder. It's cheaper and your options may increase, depending on what your budget is and what other features you want. Hotswap is good for someone (like you) who is unsure what switches you want, as it's a quick and easy way to swap a full keyboard of switches so you can get an accurate feel on how it is to type and game with them.

And yes, basically every switch on the market today will fit in the same hotswap socket, worst case scenario you just have to snip off the two little plastic legs (which are not necessary).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

All switches are "hotswappable," (ignoring some vintage and probably few rare ones) what makes them hotswappable is if the keyboard PCB has hot swap sockets. The GMMK for example is a good budget hot swappable barebones keyboard. The only thing to look out for is if the switch is a 5 pin switch (2 extra plastic "legs"), make sure the keyboard PCB has 5 holes. Some only have 3.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

4 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

All switches are "hotswappable,"

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

And yes, basically every switch on the market today will fit in the same hotswap socket

Thank you both for your help! I will start looking for hot swap boards.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

I got the glorious gmmk and the kemove snowfox that are hotswappable ... both are really nice boards but there are a lot more available than just those two ... as for the switches decide what type between linear, tactile of clicky you like the best and test among those ... I thought that I liked linear but in the end I really don't like them so I have only one set of those ...

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

It also depends on what size board you want. My recommendations for hotswap boards are Full-size-SK108 TKL-SK87 65%-YC66 or Womier K66 which is the acryllic version of the YC66 60%-kemove snowfox 40%-dont even think about it