Trying to get Nice Hash running, it hates my GTX 980

So, I tried the quick miner. It won't even run, gives a 'no compatible devices' error, and despite having up to date drivers, it refuses to give any more information.

I grabbed the actual miner program, and... It'll run on my CPU, but my GPU gives an 'error' during benchmarking. I'm really confused, there's basically no information I can find on this... The card is literally not even OCed, and has been successfully OCed in the past with no stability problems... Any suggestions to figure out what the heck is going on? Or any way to figure out what the actual problem is? The "help" window says to check the benchmark window for more information, but there's literally nothing there.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

It 'looks like' I had to update plugins. I think it might be happier now, but I've got to wait for the benchmarks to finish.

try the nicehash quickminer is the regular nicehash program does not work. 

Edit: can we get screenshots of where the error comes up and what it says?

2 minutes ago, The_Vaccine said:

try the nicehash quickminer is the regular nicehash program does not work. 

As I said, the quickminer literally will not even start. It gives an error before even loading.

-> Moved to Folding@Home, Boinc and Coin Mining

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 6:51 AM, Sarra said:

It 'looks like' I had to update plugins. I think it might be happier now, but I've got to wait for the benchmarks to finish.

Did you manage to get the QuickMiner working? My lil bro is running 2 980s, he wants to start getting into it, so it'd be good to know if this works.

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

8 hours ago, hmminteresting said:

Did you manage to get the QuickMiner working? My lil bro is running 2 980s, he wants to start getting into it, so it'd be good to know if this works.

Nope. QuickMiner "only" supports 30 series NVidia cards, according to the website.

I could not get it running on my AMD system, either.

5 hours ago, fringie said:

Is 980 worth doing? I've got one sitting doing nothing. electricity costs is high, £0.15 ($0.21)

So, I live in an area where electricity is stupid cheap; top 5% of the US for lowest cost, and it's profitable for me to run it.

However, at $0.21/kwh, I would not think it would be profitable. Run it through a calculator.

The last point on my own mining experience is simple: My 980 is one of the EVGA 980's that had the ACX, or whatever they called it, coolers. With a +150 core +400 Memory OC on it, the card will run 70°C full load, all day, every day, cooling fans at like 70%. It's darn near silent. This is 95% the reason I'm running it for mining. The other 5% is I like money. If you have a blower card, then I would just sell it and get something else to mine on.