Screens goes black / driver crashing

Enjoimangos

Hello All,

I've been running into an issue where my cursor will freeze and then my screens go black for 2-3 seconds, I can still hear and interact with the pc. If I'm playing a game it will crash once the video comes back, but web browsing and such restores.

Been troubleshooting for weeks and even conceded and brought it to Microcenter... They thought it was my windows install and said it was fixed, but it happened within 10 minutes of getting home (just browsing the web).

Troubleshooting:

Installed new mobo, ram, cpu and psu.

Tried several different ssds for windows installs

Evga RMA'd me a replacement card

Bios updates and resets

Replaced DP cables / Tried hdmi

DDU driver clearing and reinstall

Underclock gpu/cpu
Tried several different Monitors and TVs  (60hz and 144hz)

Specs:

Ryzen 3900x (stock) (56c Top)

Corsair h100i AIO Cooler

Asus x570 gaming-F

32gb 4x8 3200mhz gskill ddr4 

Evga RTX 2080Ti FTW3 (68c top)

Samsung 970 pro 1tb nvme

Evga 750w pro plus

Dell 27" Gsync 1440p 144hz LED
BenQ 1080p 144hz IPS

Any input would be appreciated, never had such an issue in my 20 years of pc building 😞

4 minutes ago, Enjoimangos said:

Hello All,

I've been running into an issue where my cursor will freeze and then my screens go black for 2-3 seconds, I can still hear and interact with the pc. If I'm playing a game it will crash once the video comes back, but web browsing and such restores.

Been troubleshooting for weeks and even conceded and brought it to Microcenter... They thought it was my windows install and said it was fixed, but it happened within 10 minutes of getting home (just browsing the web).

Troubleshooting:

Bios updates and resets

Underclock gpu/cpu

Specs:

Corsair h100i AIO Cooler

Asus x570 gaming-F

Samsung 970 pro 1tb nvme

Evga 750w pro plus

Any input would be appreciated, never had such an issue in my 20 years of pc building 😞

likely graphics card or display. Considering you rma’d the graphics card, i would try a different monitor.

17 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

likely graphics card or display. Considering you rma’d the graphics card, i would try a different monitor.

Care to explain how a monitor can cause driver crashes when (presumably) HW acceleration is being used on the graphics card? 

OP: have you made sure of that rest of your system is stable? Memtest86, prime95? Also what happens when you use furmark? Does it instantly crash?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, Levent said:

Care to explain how a monitor can cause driver crashes when (presumably) HW acceleration is being used on the graphics card? 

OP: have you made sure of that rest of your system is stable? Memtest86, prime95? Also what happens when you launch a 3d app?

he has just replaced literaly everything except the monitor. Maybe some weird autosleep setting.

Hi All,

Sorry I've edited the post, I've tried a slew of other monitors as well. EVGA has another card being sent after speaking with chat again.

I just installed my GF's 980ti and am not running into any issues, she's going to try my 2080ti for the night and we'll see if we can replicate the issue.

1 hour ago, Levent said:

OP: have you made sure of that rest of your system is stable? Memtest86, prime95? Also what happens when you use furmark? Does it instantly crash?

Yup I've run prime95, memtest and furmark while using HWinfo64 to try and capture errors, but no luck. 

No crashes when running any stress tests, I can get the issue to occur when I launch the precision X1 software otherwise it's completely random. Microcenter also said all my hardware passed diags. 

Had to create an account for this one.

I noticed that you have replaced your ram although I experienced what seems to be the same symptoms you have; I chased my tail for months.  I actually had to replace my ram with another brand of which used a different chip.  I thought it was coincidence that my problem went away so I reinstalled my old ram, the problem re presented even using different boot drive with an old Win 7 image?  Normal OS W10.

I also did part swapping,GPU's, CPU's (i7's Xeon/non Xeon) , used various versions of Memtest (9+ passes) and other apps for stress tests, Aida, Cinebench etc, and nothing showed an issue at all.  I thought I was going mad.  Ram from another vendor did it for me.  Interestingly the issue would present with one piece of ram and swapping from one stick to another made no difference so the issue was ram related, it was the brand/vendor-possibly chip change that worked for me.

Borrow some ram from someone else and give it a shot if you haven't already.

Good luck.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, CC2005 said:

Had to create an account for this one.

I noticed that you have replaced your ram although I experienced what seems to be the same symptoms you have; I chased my tail for months.  I actually had to replace my ram with another brand of which used a different chip.  I thought it was coincidence that my problem went away so I reinstalled my old ram, the problem re presented even using different boot drive with an old Win 7 image?  Normal OS W10.

I also did part swapping,GPU's, CPU's (i7's Xeon/non Xeon) , used various versions of Memtest (9+ passes) and other apps for stress tests, Aida, Cinebench etc, and nothing showed an issue at all.  I thought I was going mad.  Ram from another vendor did it for me.  Interestingly the issue would present with one piece of ram and swapping from one stick to another made no difference so the issue was ram related, it was the brand/vendor change that worked for me.

Borrow some ram from someone else and give it a shot if you haven't already.

Good luck.

Cheers

I'll give another set a ram a try tomorrow, I'm super close to a microcenter, so returns aren't a hassle. Appreciate the input, this issue has been driving me nuts. I got 13 passes in memtest32 and then did another 10 on hci memtest.

14 hours ago, Enjoimangos said:

Hello All,

Troubleshooting:

Bios updates and resets

Underclock gpu/cpu
Tried several different Monitors and TVs  (60hz and 144hz)

Specs:

Corsair h100i AIO Cooler

Asus x570 gaming-F

Samsung 970 pro 1tb nvme

Evga 750w pro plus

Dell 27" Gsync 1440p 144hz LED
BenQ 1080p 144hz IPS

I appear to be having the same issue as you. But mine is when i open EVGA Precision X1 opening and closing causes it to black screen for 2 3 seconds. 

1 hour ago, Bazooka301 said:

I appear to be having the same issue as you. But mine is when i open EVGA Precision X1 opening and closing causes it to black screen for 2 3 seconds. 

Yeah I can reproduce the issue when I launch the EVGA Pecision X1 software too, but it also happens randomly when I'm using the PC it started about a month ago. I removed the X1 software thinking it was part of the problem, but doesnt appear so.

I was able to launch the X1 software successfully without the black screens, but I had to delete the EVGA folder under my C:/Users/"yourprofile"/AppData/Roaming before launching it each time. 

I'm running to pickup replacement RAM now and will see if that does anything for me.

16 minutes ago, Enjoimangos said:

Yeah I can reproduce the issue when I launch the EVGA Pecision X1 software too, but it also happens randomly when I'm using the PC it started about a month ago. I removed the X1 software thinking it was part of the problem, but doesnt appear so.

I was able to launch the X1 software successfully without the black screens, but I had to delete the EVGA folder under my C:/Users/"yourprofile"/AppData/Roaming before launching it each time. 

I'm running to pickup replacement RAM now and will see if that does anything for me.

Yea let me know. Funny thing is im able to run the very first beta of X1 but then i can not control my second fan on the gpu cooler 2080ti ftw3 i added the water cooler for it. But X1 xbox app works fine. so far today not had any black screens

17 minutes ago, Bazooka301 said:

Yea let me know. Funny thing is im able to run the very first beta of X1 but then i can not control my second fan on the gpu cooler 2080ti ftw3 i added the water cooler for it. But X1 xbox app works fine. so far today not had any black screens

Yeah I just want to use X1 for fan control. Funny thing on my end is I have zero issues when I use my GF's 980ti and she has no issues with my 2080ti. I really hope its the ram, im getting tired of running in circles 😄

6 minutes ago, Enjoimangos said:

Yeah I just want to use X1 for fan control. Funny thing on my end is I have zero issues when I use my GF's 980ti and she has no issues with my 2080ti. I really hope its the ram, im getting tired of running in circles 😄

I know that feeling i have tried many different nvidia drivers 3 different bios's most of the evga x1 versions. Fresh windows 3 times with just EVGA X1 and nvidia driver installed and still get the black screen. Its a living nightmare. SO for me sofar is to not have evga x1 installed and just use the xbox app one to controll my extra fan. As MSI only adjusts the Vram fan not the radiator fan xD

4 hours ago, Bazooka301 said:

Well I installed the new RAM and made it 2 hours, but my screens finally went black while I was playing Curse of the Dead Gods. They came back, but the game crashed and the youtube music I was listening too wouldn't load up anymore.

13 minutes ago, Enjoimangos said:

Well I installed the new RAM and made it 2 hours, but my screens finally went black while I was playing Curse of the Dead Gods. They came back, but the game crashed and the youtube music I was listening too wouldn't load up anymore.

Hummm i keep getting this Error  nvlddmkm  14   when mine goes black i also get some times the tab i am moving makes a long trail of it self behind it. From what i read its todo with windows but im not sure and this is the only page sofar i have found who is having same issue as me.

The following information was included with the event: 

\Device\Video3
0d20(31e8) 00000000 00000000

20 minutes ago, Bazooka301 said:

Hummm i keep getting this Error  nvlddmkm  14   when mine goes black i also get some times the tab i am moving makes a long trail of it self behind it. From what i read its todo with windows but im not sure and this is the only page sofar i have found who is having same issue as me.

The following information was included with the event: 

\Device\Video3
0d20(31e8) 00000000 00000000

Yup I couldn't find anyone else with the issue, so I created an account and posted here. I get the same error when I look at event viewer, the only thing I notice is that my cursor will freeze for a second before the screens go black.

I've gone through and disabled every type of energy saver and changed out the power cable connecting my PSU to the wall and am using a different outlet. 

30 minutes ago, Enjoimangos said:

Yup I couldn't find anyone else with the issue, so I created an account and posted here. I get the same error when I look at event viewer, the only thing I notice is that my cursor will freeze for a second before the screens go black.

I've gone through and disabled every type of energy saver and changed out the power cable connecting my PSU to the wall and am using a different outlet. 

Im trying another bios right now fresh install my curser does the same. will post results after.

41 minutes ago, Bazooka301 said:

Im trying another bios right now fresh install my curser does the same. will post results after.

Are you using display port? I'm currently trying just hdmi (goodbye 144hz) and haven't had a crash yet.

29 minutes ago, Enjoimangos said:

Are you using display port? I'm currently trying just hdmi (goodbye 144hz) and haven't had a crash yet.

Using DP and HDMI was causing a issue for me. Just done fresh install one program at a time now testing but only program that has cuased evga x1 to black screen so far has been Asus Armoury Crate with it installed i get the black screens.

Also just went back to latest bios all is good so far

36 minutes ago, Bazooka301 said:

Using DP and HDMI was causing a issue for me. Just done fresh install one program at a time now testing but only program that has cuased evga x1 to black screen so far has been Asus Armoury Crate with it installed i get the black screens.

Also just went back to latest bios all is good so far

I don't seem to have any issues while running just hdmi at 60hz to but once I try hooking up DP at 144hz it starts again.

1 minute ago, Enjoimangos said:

I don't seem to have any issues while running just hdmi at 60hz to but once I try hooking up DP at 144hz it starts again.

Im only getting issues now after installing armoury crate i just gotta figure out now how i am gonna control my system with out it. as i have all asus parts xD

2 hours ago, Bazooka301 said:

Im only getting issues now after installing armoury crate i just gotta figure out now how i am gonna control my system with out it. as i have all asus parts xD

I reinstalled windows and have not installed icue, Asus crate or x1. It seems like the bios setting for aura sync is actually working, I wonder if the issue was Asus fighting with Corsair. I'll do some more testing but so far so good *crosses fingers*

9 hours ago, Enjoimangos said:

I reinstalled windows and have not installed icue, Asus crate or x1. It seems like the bios setting for aura sync is actually working, I wonder if the issue was Asus fighting with Corsair. I'll do some more testing but so far so good *crosses fingers*

I have managed to install Aurora Sync, AI suite 3 and EVGA X1 all with no ill effect

2 hours ago, Bazooka301 said:

I have managed to install Aurora Sync, AI suite 3 and EVGA X1 all with no ill effect

I have Aurora sync enable in bios and all my ram, fans, cpu and gpu are doing their unicorn vomit without issues. I used my pc for about 5 hours without any crashing last night, still crossing my fingers. 

23 minutes ago, Enjoimangos said:

I have Aurora sync enable in bios and all my ram, fans, cpu and gpu are doing their unicorn vomit without issues. I used my pc for about 5 hours without any crashing last night, still crossing my fingers. 

I been running all day no issues so far now i just gotta wait for my Asus Strix 3080 oc to arrive been waiting 8 months xD another 2 and should have it. then i can get rid of EVGA X1 and go to just using Armoury crate