M.2 or Mpcie

I am going to get a exp gdc GPU dock but they come in several connector versions and I am pretty sure I have a m.2 but I’m not super sure these are the adapter options.

• Mpcie
  • m.2

I would be replacing my wife and Bluetooth card (killer 1535 wireless card) which is stated as m.2 but I’m not sure because the seller listings list it as “m.2 pci-e”. This is the item I was looking to get for a rx580.

I unplugged the WiFi card and the ssd to see what fits on what and the ssd did not fit on the WiFi card slot. I think I have a M.2 Slot but can’t be positive can anyone help me identify? This is on a Razer blade pro 17 inch gtx 1060.

spacer.png

Also if anyone knows how much would I be limited by using the WiFi card slot to the GDC beast? I know there’s a substantial performance loss but that’s okay I’m just not sure if I should get the 9.0 version or the 8.0 version I think the 9.0 has higher data rates but I’m not sure and I’m not sure if it even comes with the correct connection I know 8.0 has both options though. Let me know what you think oh and also a thunderbolt connection isn’t really an option due to price of enclosures.

Why are you getting a 580, its basically the same speed as the 1060 thats init, probably slower with the egpu setup.

That looks like a a + e key m.2, so only 1 or 2 lanes of pcie.

Not worth it. IIRC when you connect via an external GPU box, you lose a video card tier worth of performance.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why are you getting a 580, its basically the same speed as the 1060 thats init, probably slower with the egpu setup.

That looks like a a + e key m.2, so only 1 or 2 lanes of pcie.

There’s a perfectly good reason for this, I am using it for a valve index VR headset and this laptop doesn’t have DP from the GTX 1060 and I already went and tried every different way with adapters and custom resolutions and many many adapters and nothing gave me a video output so I’m moving on to this. How does a+e key m.2 differ from just m.2 I thought it was a universal standard that is just m.2? I think I would only get 1 lane but I’m willing to put up with it until I eventually build a pc but not any time soon. Any guess on what that would do to the 580 performance being on one lane?

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Not worth it. IIRC when you connect via an external GPU box, you lose a video card tier worth of performance.

I believe you are correct but I’ll just have to do it otherwise wait a long time to build a pc. I have all the parts already just this adapter is the last link in my whole contraption.

1 minute ago, FishOnAComputer said:

There’s a perfectly good reason for this, I am using it for a valve index VR headset and this laptop doesn’t have DP from the GTX 1060 and I already went and tried every different way with adapters and custom resolutions and many many adapters and nothing gave me a video output so I’m moving on to this. How does a+e key m.2 differ from just m.2 I thought it was a universal standard that is just m.2? I think I would only get 1 lane but I’m willing to put up with it until I eventually build a pc but not any time soon. Any guess on what that would do to the 580 performance being on one lane?

a+e key is made for wifi cards, and that linked egpu won't work in those slots.

Id really just sell the laptop and get a desktop if vr is a goal as its gonna be a pain using a egpu and performance won't be great.

14 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

a+e key is made for wifi cards, and that linked egpu won't work in those slots.

Id really just sell the laptop and get a desktop if vr is a goal as its gonna be a pain using a egpu and performance won't be great.

I would like to do that but unfortunately Razer laptops do not have a great resell value and this one doesn't have a batter due to it puffing up so it only works off of the wall outlet which at that point I would rather keep it and save up separately for a desktop. What exactly prevents it from working on the wifi slot? these adapters are made just for that I think.