Windows Vista changed motherboard now it says not activated, now what?

Mark Kaine

There's a telephone number I should call, but will they still activate it? 

Or should I just try the online activation method? I didn't actually plan to go online with this PC...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I think you are out of luck unless you have a vista key, the phone number might just might work but why vista anyways

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

There's a telephone number I should call, but will they still activate it? 

Or should I just try the online activation method? I didn't actually plan to go online with this PC...

Only Microsoft can answer these questions, so you could give it a try and see if it activates. That being said, Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft, so it's recommended you upgrade to Windows 10, assuming the PC is able to be upgraded.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I don't know if those activation systems are still online, but it's worth a try. Generally I wouldn't recommend moving Vista between machines though. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

41 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

I don't know if those activation systems are still online, but it's worth a try. Generally I wouldn't recommend moving Vista between machines though. 

I'm not moving anything though, I just had to change the motherboard - I honestly didn't think it has online activation lol. 

I mean from the look of it I'll have to reinstall anyway but then I'll still have to activate it, ugh. 

I'll also need chipset drivers for this board I guess? But yeah, not sure how I'm going to activate it. 

44 minutes ago, kirashi said:

it's recommended you upgrade to Windows 10

The only reason I rebuilt this pc is to be able to use Windows VISTA and 10 is not an upgrade anyhow...

That's the thing that baffles me i never intended to go online with this thing now it looks I'll have to unless the telephone activation works (offline)

PS: i did the -rearm thing but thats only good for 120 days... lol.

I just wanted to check if the mobo works... it does but not sure everything is how it should be,  the cpu only boosted to 1ghz , should be 2ghz tho and there is no driver error in device manager, yet it tells me 'no audio device ' that could just be me plugging in some cables wrong tho...

Also pretty sure the nVidia nForce version is wrong too... needs to be reinstalled also lol >.<

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

20 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I'm not moving anything though, I just had to change the motherboard - I honestly didn't think it has online activation lol. 

I mean from the look of it I'll have to reinstall anyway but then I'll still have to activate it, ugh. 

I'll also need chipset drivers for this board I guess? But yeah, not sure how I'm going to activate it. 

Technically that is moving it to a different machine. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

The Vista Key, If OEM, is tied to the motherboard. The Vista Copy dies with the board.

If not an OEM copy, you have to make the phone call, or re-install Vista and enter the product key. 

3 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The Vista Key, If OEM, is tied to the motherboard. The Vista Copy dies with the board.

It's an oem , but I heard they'll activate it if you tell them old mobo is broken- which is exactly what happened.  At this point I'm just wondering if they're doing this at all anymore.

I guess I'll find out but if I do this its better to reinstall windows first I guess,  or at least the right drivers for the motherboard.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, ProjectBox153 said:

Technically that is moving it to a different machine. 

Yeah, according to Microsoft, if this is legal is another question though...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

It's an oem , but I heard they'll activate it if you tell them old mobo is broken- which is exactly what happened.  At this point I'm just wondering if they're doing this at all anymore.

I guess I'll find out but if I do this its better to reinstall windows first I guess,  or at least the right drivers for the motherboard.  

Did you call? 

23 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Did you call? 

Nope, i want to reinstall first, but I can't find the right drivers for this motherboard, I really want two check if everything works before trying to get a new code. 🤔

At the moment the cpu boosts only to 1Ghz, and I have no sound,  so I'm not convinced - but hope this could be fixed with the right chipset drivers. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Nope, i want to reinstall first, but I can't find the right drivers for this motherboard, I really want two check if everything works before trying to get a new code. 🤔

At the moment the cpu boosts only to 1Ghz, and I have no sound,  so I'm not convinced - but hope this could be fixed with the right chipset drivers. 

Well you need the audio drivers installed.... but the audio on these boards was so poor, most gamers bought a dedicated card.